PDA

View Full Version : Badger derby - report

tacklerunner
02-28-2010, 06:14 PM
I left at noon today. 5th place was 20.9 lbs and 25.9 was still holding first since Friday morning. There were 4 other fish in the 20's weighed but under 20.9 and a bunch 17 - 19. Looked like the average weight of weighed fish was hovering around 20lbs this year. 600 people, 1200 lines; LOTS of water covered.

Our best was 29 1/2 inches. :sick:

Got a sunburn, met Wayne, Kingfisher and Flygirrl. Not sure why they don't take lessons from her...:lol:

Weather was warm, water was really building on ice yesterday but refroze overnight.

Generally fishing was very slow and by talking to a number of people, Badger is becoming less popular, especially after this weekend; still one of my faves though!

Any new updates, experiences?

WayneChristie
02-28-2010, 07:19 PM
I decided I didnt like the smell of skunk, so I passed on Badger today. Went to another lake, which one I wont make Clear. :D

SturgeonHunter
02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
You were supposed to be upwind from my camp Wayne :cool:. I thought skunks hybernated in the winter :lol:. Was pretty slow for us. I pulled a 12 lber through this morning but that was it for the whole weekend out of our group of 4.

WayneChristie
02-28-2010, 09:26 PM
cant believe how slow it was. I found out too late they wanted tiny baits . oh well. at least someone won :D

Kingfisher
03-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Had a fantastic time there. Yes Wayne and I should have taken notes from Flygirl. She was putting on a clinic. Oh well it was a good time.

I fished by myself for the most part. Which meant I could move around a lot. I think I hit pretty much evey spot in the lake. After fishing all over I figured out that I should have stayed put at the first spot I was at on Friday. The water was murky Friday and Saturday. But Sunday it was as clear as a bell. Must have been some melt water coming into the lake.

I got to meet up with some of the forum folks. Wayne and his lovely wife Karen, Flygirl, Tacklerunner, Doctor D., Bucktaker and his buds. I didn't get to see everyone I wanted. But I did try to send out some texts. It seemed like I spent way too much time taking my crap down and setting up again. Won't make that mistake again.

I did see one guy from Lomond who set up his rods and had them in wire stands. He jumped back in his truck. He got a hit which took his rod and flipped it right out of the wire stand and down the hole it went.

Any way. I learned a lot. As Wayne said he and I both were guilty of using humoungous bait. I would do the derby all over again in a heart beat.

I left on Sunday at noon. I hit the pub in Vulcan right at 1pm. Just in time to watch the hockey game. Nothing was going to stop me from seeing the big game.

Cheers,
Rob

ULTRAlite
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
What were the prizes like? What was the entry? Door Prizes?

tacklerunner
03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
What were the prizes like? What was the entry? Door Prizes?

$1500 for 1st down to $200 for 5th
Door Prizes: Power Auger, Fish Finder, Fish TV, GPS & Ice Tent each day for all 3 days plus some draws for $100
Entry Fee $40 per person for all 3 days Fri - Sun