PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Fishing

Sputnik
02-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Anyone on here a Kayak fisherman/woman?

I have been doing some research on-line and this looks like a lot of fun, light boats easy to handle.

I have a Water Skeeter pontoon boat (Fish Guide) and it is a hoot, but I had a look at a Hobie Outback Mirage drive and that looks like it could be even better.

Comment?

BlackHeart
02-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Always liked the idea but have never tryed it ...yet. Would need some training to do the eskimo roll so I dont get trapped upside down. Would be a great way to get into and fly fish spots hard to access. Not a big fan of float tubes as they seem a little too exposed to the elements and dangling there waiting for JAWS... With a kayak you can get they much quicker. The only question would be comfort sitting in that position for hours.

Could also be great for hunting, silently floating down river in the early morning, spotting game, then pulling to shore for the shot.

Also seen some beautiful cedar strip kayaks, even two person ones, absolutely gorgeous.

oagie
03-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Most of the kayaks setup for fishing don't, are either sit on top or don't have that water tight seal that keeps you inside. They are not designed for fast water.

geezer55
03-01-2010, 08:16 AM
Got this kayak last summer, used it going after trout, this year will try to use it for going after other species and on flowing water. Just have to figure out the best way of rigging gear.
http://www.wildernesssystems.com/assets/page/pungo_100_recreational/beauty_shot/pungo_100.jpg

oagie
03-01-2010, 09:43 AM
There is some great pictures on that site. Ever since I seen them using Kayaks on Canadian Sport fishing I have been looking at them. Some day.

thumper
03-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I've got the Hobie Outback Mirage Drive - and love it!
Always a work in progress, but so far I've rigged it out for both fishing and duck hunting. The fact that you can be hands-free with the mirage drive is what makes it terrific for both fishing and hunting. And it's a very stable platform - you can even sit sideways in it with your feet hanging over the side. It's also light enough that I can load/unload it on the roof of my suburban by myself.
Even though my wife isn't very comfortable on the water in any boat - she liked mine so much, and found it so stable that we bought her a slightly smaller Hobie Sport with Mirage drive as well.

Feel free to pm me if you want my phone number - and I can answer any questions.

Rigged for fishing:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/P1030361.jpg

Rigged for duck hunting:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/IMG_0077.jpg

Sputnik
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks all for the response.

Thumper, PM sent, that is just what I'm after, but only had the sales guy's opinon, and that is a bit biased.

As to sitting Blackheart, not a problem you can shift around, I had the same concern with the pontoon boat, but there are lots of ways to change position and you can always put in a bum warmer to keep the chill off the old roids :lol:.

Thanks for the link Oagie, I looked at the Wilderness line as well, but they don't seem to quite have the stowage thing worked out like the Hobie products, and that Mirage drive seems to be the answer.

Thanks again and keep the info coming, always need more encouragement to spend my hard earned dollars before the government comes for it all....:D

oagie
03-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Last night on WFN I caught the Kayak fishing show. This show they were in Peru fishing tuna, including a 100+ pound fish.

This morning I checked out their website. http://www.helipress.com/kayakfishingmovie/home.html

They have some pretty interesting stuff there, some DVD's and books. Under their blog link they have a collection of youtube movies from kayak fishermen.

2big4u
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
I fish out of a Native MantaRay 12' All fishing yaks I have used have been very stable almost difficult to tip over, they are mostly self baling so the y don't hold water. I am able to stand and pole skinny water to sight fish in it with a little practice. Storage out the wazoo and very comfy for several hours on the water paddling or just drifting with current. My only issue is when I am fly fishing I spend as much time dealing with my line getting tangled on deck as I do casting. Still looking for a good system, a line bucket maybe?