PDA

View Full Version : Need Wader Advice

DarkAisling
03-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Saw about getting myself waders today . . . have to order them in and they'll cost an arm and a leg: women's Simms Headwaters double customs . . . because I'm apparently a mutant :( At least they should fit really well . . . but I'm worried about how long it might take them to get here.

Anyhoo, as mine are going to cost nearly twice what was budgeted, #1 son is getting cheap waders. Canadian Tire has lots of cheap waders, with boot feet, so I'm thinking that's a good place to pick some up. They just really need to last one season. If he really gets into fly fishing he'll get a nice pair of waders and boots for his birthday in October.

The reviews I've read indicate that the boots can be pretty slippery. Could hex nuts be screwed into the soles to make them slip less? Any ideas or recommendations?

hal53
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
We used to put felt on the soles, worked great on the Bow, between Mckinnon and Policemans

DarkAisling
03-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Is that just the craft felt that comes in 8.5x11 sheets?

hal53
03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
We just used the same type that you used to use a felt insoles in your winter boots..what size are his feet???...I believe you mentioned he was a big lad???

DarkAisling
03-02-2010, 03:27 PM
He's darn big. I usually say he's around 6' and 200lbs . . . but I think he's gotten bigger than that. He looked taller this weekend. The shoes he normally wears are a 13, but I suspect they're a little big for him. He's probably got size 12 feet.

Felt insoles used on the bottom of the boot are an excellent idea. :)

hal53
03-02-2010, 03:31 PM
PM me some info, I'll send him some Chest Waders I used for 1 year on the Bow, they've been hanging in my shop here since....not enough water around here to need more than sneakers:lol: they're size 12 and good shape

Deb
03-02-2010, 07:05 PM
I've hesitated for years from buying Simms waders because I'd have to order them custom as well and they have a 'no return' policy. Call me chicken, a very short and round chicken who looks very much like a Pillsbury Doughboy in her neoprenes, but I'm not much of a gambler, especially with that amount of dough.

Are you special ordering them from one of the retailers in town or ordering them online?

When you receive your waders, I would be very interested to know if their sizing charts are true.

Thanks,
Deb

jacob1202
03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Saw about getting myself waders today . . . have to order them in and they'll cost an arm and a leg: women's Simms Headwaters double customs . . . because I'm apparently a mutant :( At least they should fit really well . . . but I'm worried about how long it might take them to get here.

Anyhoo, as mine are going to cost nearly twice what was budgeted, #1 son is getting cheap waders. Canadian Tire has lots of cheap waders, with boot feet, so I'm thinking that's a good place to pick some up. They just really need to last one season. If he really gets into fly fishing he'll get a nice pair of waders and boots for his birthday in October.

The reviews I've read indicate that the boots can be pretty slippery. Could hex nuts be screwed into the soles to make them slip less? Any ideas or recommendations?

have you checked out redingtons line of womens waders... very overlooked and prolly some of the best quality ive seen for a good price... worth a peep

flygirrl
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
I to have problems with purchasing waders. The current ones I have are Wardells and I purchased them at least 10 years ago. My problem is the feet in the booties. I take a size six boys:lol: and the feet are always to big in anything I try to buy. I ended up having to send the Wardells back to the manufacturer and have them custom fit the booties. Im dreading buying an new pair but I will have to soon.

Way back in the day I to used the Canadian Tire wader and glued on the felt insoles to the bottom of the boot, It works great.

Little Valy
03-02-2010, 07:56 PM
I've had boots with the hex nuts and they are wonderful on ice and softer surfaces but terrible on the big river rock.You can get the felts in a kit with glue for I think about 20 bucks.They're made oversize so glue them on and trim off the access.You can buy them almost anywhere where they sell waders.

PS.Good choice on the Simms.

DarkAisling
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
PM me some info, I'll send him some Chest Waders I used for 1 year on the Bow, they've been hanging in my shop here since....not enough water around here to need more than sneakers:lol: they're size 12 and good shape

#1 Son is very much looking forward to these. Thanks so much :)

I've hesitated for years from buying Simms waders because I'd have to order them custom as well and they have a 'no return' policy. Call me chicken, a very short and round chicken who looks very much like a Pillsbury Doughboy in her neoprenes, but I'm not much of a gambler, especially with that amount of dough.

Are you special ordering them from one of the retailers in town or ordering them online?

I went into Troutfitters at lunch, and I tried a bunch of different waders on. The didn't have a pair that fit me, but after trying on everything in the store (or so it seemed), I was able to determine what I needed. The Simms rep will be in the store tomorrow, and the gent who was helping me (Elliot) will be discussing my requirements with the rep. Originally I was going to order XL Long as I required the 9-10 foot, but I later decided to get the Large Long with the 9-10 foot (both the extra length and the larger foot are custom on the Large). The XL was really big on me. The L will still be a bit big, but I'll be able to get heavy clothing underneath if required.

You'd probably be looking at getting a smaller foot, and a shorter inseam, so that's two custom changes as well . . . which does really increase the price.

At least the option exists to make the changes, though :)

I tried on some men's waders . . . but I really preferred the fit of the women's.

BTW: Elliot was just awesome. He was able to help me with the waders (getting buckles done up, belts through the loops in the back, etc.) without being creepy. He kept a good distance, and was very careful to only touch the waders.

have you checked out redingtons line of womens waders... very overlooked and prolly some of the best quality ive seen for a good price... worth a peep

The price for the Redingtons is really good, and I did have a look at the size chart online. I'd want the Large Long, and I'm quite confidant that the foot (9-11) would be too large. The Simms foot is perfect for me. I'll be able to get a heavier pair of socks underneath them, but I'll have very little (if any) bunching of the neoprene in my boots without a heavy sock. In the event the Simms order is going to take more than five weeks, I'll look at the Redingtons.

flyguyd
03-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Shag carpet on the bottom will work in a pinch if you dont care that you look like a nerd:D. At 200 lb and 6ft I dont think anyone will call him a nerd any how:)

DarkAisling
04-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Well, dude never got back to me about the custom order. That is really strange, as he spent almost an hour working with me on it. Whatever. Troutfitters' loss.

I purchased a pair of large long ladies Redingtons (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3861368&enlargeSkuz=24187&FILTERBYCLASS=&C=085&FILTERBYPRICE=AND%20retailPrice%20is%20not%20null&D=08&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&GOZ=16&PAGEAT=2&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=085&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC) from the Fishin Hole. Even though I got the "long" another inch or two in the inseam would have been nice. My mobility is a little limited if I've got the bib up. The Redington longs are an inch longer than the Simms longs, so the Simms may have been a big mistake. As a size 10 ladies foot, the 9-11 foot on the Redingtons is an awesome fit. I don't really think they'd work well for an 11.

I also picked up a pair of Redington boots (https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3861379&enlargeSkuz=24232&C=080&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=080&D=08&SORTPRODUCTSBY=ASC&FILTERBYPRICE=AND%20retailPrice%20is%20not%20null&FILTERBYMANUFACTURER=&FILTERBYCLASS=&PAGEAT=2&GOZ=16) in a size 10. I think they're sized for use with neoprene feet, as they were quite comfortable with the waders on in my normal shoe size. However, if I want to wear heavier socks I'll need to go up a boot size.

The waders from Hal (that you so much, Hal!) arrived in the mail for #1 son, and they are a great fit. He should even be able to get a pair of heavy socks into the boots :) They're a nice heavy neoprene, in #1 son's favourite colour :)