PDA

View Full Version : ealry spring wabamun

mooseknuckle
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey folks,

So it's no big secret that Wabamun has been hot lately especially in the open water. Has anyone been out recently? Is the water opened up all the way to the main launch? Or is it still push, pull, or drag a small craft out? Between the plant's high output and the nice weather I was wondering if a guy might be able to launch before the end of March.

DaveFish
03-02-2010, 05:53 PM
That would be awesome, just bought a small boat.

Rigby
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Still a pull push or drag as of last weekend! By ththe end of march it should be a go.

Kodiak
03-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey knucklehead, lol, just came from Judy Creek today.........

Call me

Home now

C

mooseknuckle
03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Still a pull push or drag as of last weekend! By ththe end of march it should be a go.

Yeah I'm hoping a tad earlier it's that april 1 to may 15 that hurts. Probably when I'm most depressed:lol:

jacob1202
03-02-2010, 07:38 PM
yeah the area that is open is huge but its still push pull or drag... im thinking 400 yds from the boat launch... give or take

Trout Addict
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
hey,

just curious can you literally walk to the edge of the ice and launch a two man pontoon without having to worry about putting a leg through the ice?????

Thanks

jacob1202
03-02-2010, 09:33 PM
hey,

just curious can you literally walk to the edge of the ice and launch a two man pontoon without having to worry about putting a leg through the ice?????

Thanks

yeah u can but dont quote me on that... if ur gonna do that gear up and be ready to get wet... sometimes u can be a foot or 10 feet from the water and the ice will break

DNORTHERNSNIPER
03-02-2010, 09:56 PM
We went sunday and wow what a difference.
Fully crappy day......

6 fish only instead of the normal 30-60!!

The power plant was OFF FULLY :(
There was no out flow current from the plant at all.
We seen tons of huge pike in the shallows but they were not biting at all.
I was almost bouncing large smelts off their noses and they were just swimming away :scared:
The water temp was way colder with the power plant off and I think the shock/dramatic change has stunned the fish and made them dormant or something.
Just outside the canal it was already icing up with a thin film of ice. But it did melt away by noon.
It seemed to go open all the way to the main pier.

Well I have fished there in the winter for 15 years and now maybe it's over. :(:(:(:(: Well thanks Trans Alta for many years of awesome fishing in the winter on open water.
My boat is still out there so I will try again before it closes and let all know how it was.
The guys on shore never even caught 1 that I saw this time.

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Fully crappy day......

I was almost bouncing large smelts off their noses and they were just swimming away :scared:
The water temp was way colder with the power plant off and I think the shock/dramatic change has stunned the fish and made them dormant or something.
Just outside the canal it was already icing up with a thin film of ice. But it did melt away by noon.

Well I have fished there in the winter for 15 years and now maybe it's over. :(:(:(:(: Well thanks Trans Alta for many years of awesome fishing in the winter on open water.
My boat is still out there so I will try again before it closes and let all know how it was.

Well it sounds like you have tons of experience on the lake, however I think you need to lighten up just a bit dude I mean we've all had bad days on the water. Chances are you'll have more luck the next visit. You threw in the towel a little pre-mature don't you think.

DNORTHERNSNIPER
03-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I will try agian of course :)

We were just spoiled with crazy numbers all day.
I hope the fish just have to get used to the water temp change to become active.

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 04:01 PM
I will try agian of course :)

We were just spoiled with crazy numbers all day.
I hope the fish just have to get used to the water temp change to become active.

Yeah I hear that. I've had crazy 50+ fish days at wab over the last 7-8 years followed by 1-2 hammerhandle days. You have to take the good with the bad don't worry I know the plant will be gone for good soon, but the fishing will still be amazing I fished seba almost a whole different family of fish and they were big and plentifull the lake is 19km long I bet they aren't even from the same ancestors, to an extent, I mean we're all connected somehow.

That pointless bannter aside , anyone wanna fish seba beach on sunday?

Ive got a vacation planned for the second half of march therefore this will be my last hard water journey, all good of course got me a family and a great new boat open water,.... bring it on!!

Cheers too all!!!:wave:

WayneChristie
03-03-2010, 07:41 PM
try downsizing your bait, minnows instead of smelts.

STP
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
try downsizing your bait, minnows instead of smelts.

you bet

mustard73
03-04-2010, 09:58 AM
yeah the area that is open is huge but its still push pull or drag... im thinking 400 yds from the boat launch... give or take

Do you drag the boat to an open area on shore then? I have a 12' aluminum and might give it a shot this weekend.

I'm assuming the water is still very open even with the plant being shut down recently?

hunter49
03-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Fully crappy day......

probably sore lips from every person around edmonton :lol:

fish-man
03-04-2010, 06:29 PM
The temperature change will certainly do it, I've been there.

Anyone know if the plant is shut off for good now?

JohnnyCustom
03-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Yeah, it's done.