PDA

View Full Version : 2009 FISHING LICENCE question

Jimboy
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Ok , l know our licence expires the end of March , now heres the question , l have a friend who has never fished in Alberta before and has no license , he would like to come with me fishing this weekend , and if he buys a lic now it will expire in 4 weeks at which time he will be required to buy another which he cant afford and is also out of the question in terms of inteligents.
Is there any way he can get a 30 day lic ,or a 2 day , have inquired at fishing hole , they say nope , unless your out of province.
Now another question , l am allowed 2 lines in the ice holes , now if l take him with me and only have my 2 rods in the ice and 2 fisherman , is the CO going to believe hes not fishing , likely not , so whats the solution here , he will not be tending my lines , just out for the outing.

goober
03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
As long as he is not handling a line he is fine. You do not need a license to be on a lake.

drake
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
IMO, if he wants to experience our resources he should pay......like everyone else.

alacringa
03-02-2010, 08:20 PM
As long as he is not handling a line he is fine. You do not need a license to be on a lake.

I agree. I've taken friends out on the ice just for the experience. Didn't run into the fish cops, but wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

Jimboy
03-02-2010, 08:24 PM
IMO, if he wants to experience our resources he should pay......like everyone else.
yes , he is willing , but why pay 38 bucks now , he needs a win card too , and then pay another 30 bucks at the end of this month too.

drake
03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
yeah it sucks, but if he wants to participate in the experience (ie handle a line) he had better have a license.

ghostguy6
03-02-2010, 10:18 PM
It would be nice if they offered a short term licence. I have a few friends that would like to try ice fishing but they dont want to pay $38 for a licence that is only good for a few weeks.

bushnell
03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
You could wait until the 15th when they usually start to sell next years licsense at which point you are covered for both years.Fishing without a current licsence is not worth the fines you would have to pay.$35.34 for a WIN and liscense. You decide.

Jimboy
03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
You could wait until the 15th when they usually start to sell next years licsense at which point you are covered for both years.Fishing without a current licsence is not worth the fines you would have to pay.$35.34 for a WIN and liscense. You decide.

I think even if he waited till the 15th that would not cover him for the 2009 term , the new 2010 dont start till apr 1st , so in effect it would be no good before that , still have to produce a 2009 lic l believe.

l think theres a need to change the lic system so a person can buy a lic at any time and be valid for a year , much like our vehicle registry.
Oh well , thanks for the input.

mclean
03-02-2010, 11:41 PM
I was fishing on St. Marys Res. on the weekend, I noticed several pickups with British Columbia lic. plates fishing as well. I did talk with them they said they fish in alberta both summer and winter on a steady basis, I dont mind having fishing company from B.C. Sask. ,fishing in Alberta , but why are they only paying the same price as an Alberta Resident. If an Albertan goes out of province in any direction we pay dearly to fish in thier waters.
We Albertans are reminded by government as to how stressed Alberta fisheries are becoming. Why are non reidents still buying Alberta Fishing Lic. at same price as Residents.

randster
03-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Don't quote me here but, I think you need another opinion. Seems to me if you purchase a lisence at this time of year, it should be good for 2010 aswell as the remainder of march 2010. Only IMO (disclaimer) A phone call may be a good ideal on this one.

bushnell
03-03-2010, 04:24 AM
Once they start to sell the new one for2010, they no longer sell the one for 2009.Therefore you are ok,if you want go ahead and double check.

allenford
03-03-2010, 08:34 AM
If you buy 2010 license online, that license will valid from MARCH 20 2010 to MARCH 31 2011.

The license validation is not starting from April 01 2010.

This is my last year's experience, check it out.

DarkAisling
03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Honestly, I really don't feel it is worth the risk: going out without a license. I can absolutely appreciate your buddy's position, as my eldest boy turned 16 just a few weeks ago, and I had to buy a license for him in January. I was not at all happy about it, being that it would expire so quickly.

If your buddy doesn't bring any fish in himself, or he isn't actively working a rod, then it would probably be okay. But, if he isn't an active participant in the experience will he enjoy himself?

If I was in the same position, and he was a good friend, I would probably purchase the 2009 license for him (providing he paid for his W.I.N. himself) and call it a belated Christmas gift or early/belated birthday present. He could then purchase a license himself when the 2010 ones go on sale. I know it sucks, but it is pretty cheap insurance considering the amount of the potential fine. And, he might become a regular fishing buddy as a result . . . which has a lot of value.

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
As I'm sure most on this forum will be, like myself a fisherman for life and this may be useless banter but they should have more options ie. a lifetime license I know I'd pay ????? ummm what 300 bucks and get a permanent license say on plastic. JUst a thought. even a 5 or 10 year thing. I guess then the bean counters can't jack up the cost on you in a few years hey?

Okotokian
03-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Seems pretty simple to me. If he just wants to come along and watch, no problem, no cost. If he wants to come and actually fish, it's $26 for a licence. I'm not counting the WIN card cost as you said "at which time he will be required to buy another ", so I'm assuming he is planning to be licenced long-term and would need to buy a WIN card anyway. Going early is only costing an extra $26.

As for not being able to afford it, does he ever spend $26 participating in any other recreational activities? Like going to the bar? Smoking? Even if he only fishes the one day it's a whole lot cheaper than a ski pass, green fees, going to a pub, going out for dinner, taking the wife to a movie. Pay the money and have some fun fishing.

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Seems pretty simple to me. If he just wants to come along and watch, no problem, no cost. If he wants to come and actually fish, it's $26 for a licence. I'm not counting the WIN card cost as you said "at which time he will be required to buy another ", so I'm assuming he is planning to be licenced long-term and would need to buy a WIN card anyway. Going early is only costing an extra $26.

As for not being able to afford it, does he ever spend $26 participating in any other recreational activities? Like going to the bar? Smoking? Even if he only fishes the one day it's a whole lot cheaper than a ski pass, green fees, going to a pub, going out for dinner, taking the wife to a movie. Pay the money and have some fun fishing.

Well Said!! Think of your best day of fishing and ask yourself if it was worth 26$.... hmmm insert gay priceless mastercard commercial now.

trainerdave
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
You pay for the gas this time out -you want to go fishing anyway and would probably do so alone. The money your buddy would have kicked in for gas could offset the licence fees...