PDA

View Full Version : boating licence question

Skinner
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows if I need a boating license to use my 12' aluminum with a electric motor or my 9' pontoon boat with my motor this year? Thanks

WayneChristie
03-02-2010, 08:33 PM
yes, the same as with my canoe and an electric, it sucks

Skinner
03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Another government money grab.

doublehaul
03-02-2010, 09:06 PM
I thought you only needed it for motors over 9.9 hp. I got mine on the Internet, it's not too hard. But yes it's another money grab!

bushnell
03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Any boat of any size that has a motor attached now needs a boating liscence.

genoel
03-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Money grab, sure, but these regs were implimented because of the amount of idiots racng around and killing themselves and each other on Sea doos. Why do you suppose they took effect of watercraft under 4 meters first? Its unfortunate that the government if forced to legislate common sense because so few people have it!:wave:

randster
03-03-2010, 01:27 AM
I believe bushnell is correct, this paragraph (below) is from boatsmarts online study guide.
IMO yes money grab, What p##### me off is the lack of access to get the card. I have been studying online for some time now, but I herd taking the test online is a pain in the rear. (need to get a supervisor) And they say go to the sportsman show, you get a discount there. Lets see, about 12.00 to park probably more than that for addmission. 5.00 discount on exam!
Sorry for the rant but this has been a pet peave of mine for several years now.
I did speak to a nice gentalman who said I can go to his house and take the exam. He is in Namao, (just north of Edmonton) I live in the deep south side of Edmonton. So it looks like I'll be going to the sportsman show, I hope not too many peeps waited until the last minute like me!!

As of September 15, 2009 all operators of
motorized craft , PWCs and powered sailboats will
be required to carry a Pleasure Craft Operator Card -
regardless their age or the size of craft being operated.

skykomish sunrise
03-03-2010, 03:17 AM
Skip the online and sportsmans show and go to any regestries office. Its cheaper there and I was in and out in 25 min.

Kim473
03-03-2010, 06:02 AM
If Im not mistaken any one with one already can get the supervisor one free they just have to apply then they can have who ever wright it online in there presence. This sure looks more like a money grab, as you can do it online with the book in front of you and your father as the supervisor LOL.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fisherpeak
03-03-2010, 06:32 AM
yes, the same as with my canoe and an electric, it sucks

Yes it sure does but I can RENT a friggen 40 foot houseboat and don`t need one.Figure that one out.:mad:

Kim473
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
I think you can rent anything and don't need one if I'm not mistaken.

TimC
03-03-2010, 08:26 AM
I think you can rent anything and don't need one if I'm not mistaken.

With that being said, so can a son rent a sea-doo from his dad and don't need a license? :confused:

What is considered to be rental?

If it's for safety reason, everyone should required a license, rental or not.

Skinner
03-03-2010, 08:37 AM
Last time I checked my 30# thrust minn kota didn't go that fast. The government needs to get their heads out of their asses and stop robbing us fishermen and go after strictly sea-doos and sportboats.

AK47
03-03-2010, 09:44 AM
I do not think this rule applies to electric motors.

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 09:47 AM
I do not think this rule applies to electric motors.

It's stupid but yeah it does:mad2:

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 09:49 AM
With that being said, so can a son rent a sea-doo from his dad and don't need a license? :confused:

What is considered to be rental?

If it's for safety reason, everyone should required a license, rental or not.

Hmmmm a loop hole? I own a small business maybe a I just do up an invoice for a boat rental in and keep it in the boat. I already have a boaters license but I'm going to try it next time I'm checked

nicemustang
03-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Yes, any boat including seadoo's that have a motor, regardless of size, you need a operator license.

Tredeb
03-03-2010, 10:52 AM
If Im not mistaken any one with one already can get the supervisor one free they just have to apply then they can have who ever wright it online in there presence. This sure looks more like a money grab, as you can do it online with the book in front of you and your father as the supervisor LOL.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not supposed to be a family member, but supervisor registration is free and all you need is the name and password to enter. Supervisor is "supposed" to be present to ensure you don't cheat.

I am not trying to tell you to circumvent the system, but I will say that this is the biggest waste of time and money I have ever seen. I have my card and I am not one bit better at operating my boat for all my labors.

this is an absolute joke. anyone who wants one can just pay the money and get one without study or much more knowledge than common sense.

randster
03-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Skip the online and sportsmans show and go to any regestries office. Its cheaper there and I was in and out in 25 min.

I never heard that before! Thanks I'll check it out.

mustard73
03-03-2010, 12:18 PM
I believe bushnell is correct, this paragraph (below) is from boatsmarts online study guide.
IMO yes money grab, What p##### me off is the lack of access to get the card. I have been studying online for some time now, but I herd taking the test online is a pain in the rear. (need to get a supervisor) And they say go to the sportsman show, you get a discount there. Lets see, about 12.00 to park probably more than that for addmission. 5.00 discount on exam!
Sorry for the rant but this has been a pet peave of mine for several years now.
I did speak to a nice gentalman who said I can go to his house and take the exam. He is in Namao, (just north of Edmonton) I live in the deep south side of Edmonton. So it looks like I'll be going to the sportsman show, I hope not too many peeps waited until the last minute like me!!

As of September 15, 2009 all operators of
motorized craft , PWCs and powered sailboats will
be required to carry a Pleasure Craft Operator Card -
regardless their age or the size of craft being operated.

I wrote my exam online last night... I used promotion code BSP 601 on boaterexam.com and got $10 off. I found the code here.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/boaterexam.com

This exam is definitely the biggest joke ever. I saw that it was free retries so I didn't even study beforehand. I passed first try with 89%. Some of the questions regarding buoys and different flags I answered incorrectly / had to guess but they are totally irrelevant for fishing small Alberta lakes.

walker197
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
i heard this as well, if someone knows if it is true please let me know. i am native and i wouldn't require a licence as long as i was using the boat for fishing...

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 04:06 PM
i heard this as well, if someone knows if it is true please let me know. i am native and i wouldn't require a licence as long as i was using the boat for fishing...

It's true!!!:wave: Hey lets just all man-woman-up and take this one it ain't going away, it is a definate cash cow but it very well could weed out some of these jacka#$%@ we've all seen out at our local lakes/rivers that usually end up drowning or hurting some one else.

It's law! it's here to stay! everyone just bend over!!!!!:ashamed:

Winch101
03-03-2010, 05:24 PM
I have spent the last two years teaching safe boating and testing people

for the PCOC. I am amazed how dumb people are .

Natives are exempt from licence under certain conditions , check with the DOT website ...

Like the gun registry , the time to yutz about this is BEFORE it is passed into law....

What I get from the average outdoorsman is:

" You are not going to taech me anything , I wont learn and

you cant make me" DUH !

bearbait
03-03-2010, 09:15 PM
u still need the card to rent a boat....if u r caught u will be finned...yes its stupid and should be a better test but theres alot of idiots out there...need some kinda control...i know i love watching the guy who buzzs the dock and slams my boat around showing off...just no respect..

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Yeah not mention my boat was uninsured untill I got the card

duffy4
03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
"Money grab???" How much are they charging? I think that expression "money grab" is over used. If the charge is anything less than about $50.00 then admin. fees eat most of it up these days.

You actually do not need a "licence or card". You need "proof of competency".

I took a fairly extensive boating course some years back and so I just have to keep a photo copy of the Certificate with me in the boat.

LongDraw
03-03-2010, 11:05 PM

Tredeb
03-04-2010, 11:28 AM
"Money grab???" How much are they charging? I think that expression "money grab" is over used. If the charge is anything less than about $50.00 then admin. fees eat most of it up these days.

You actually do not need a "licence or card". You need "proof of competency".

I took a fairly extensive boating course some years back and so I just have to keep a photo copy of the Certificate with me in the boat.

Don't think there is much admin, you log on, write the test, a computer spits out your card and they mail it to you.

I know people who do not even operate boats who have written the test and passed without studying. How does that prove competency? I doubt anyone would pass the course you took without experience or studying.

That is why I call it a cash grab. It proves absolutely nothing if you have a card, as it is so easy to get. It took me longer to register for the online test than it did to write the test. Hardly a test of competency in my opinion. Many of the questions are so absurd that you cannot answer them wrong with a straight face.

If people have to be licenced, make it a substantial test including a practical portion. Otherwise, leave my money in my pocket.

FWIW, if I was to go boating in a more congested area, I would voluntarily take a more indepth course to expand my knowledge. For the lakes I frequent, I will stick with my current level of experience.

Fisherman's daughter
03-31-2010, 08:04 AM
Whether or not it is a government money grab, at least you can save some of the green stuff by going through boatsmartexam.com and using a $10.00 coupon (BCB932) when you register.

TAD40
03-31-2010, 08:38 AM
I have my license and at least now I know what end to put the motor on :lol::lol::lol:

jts1
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Wow I just took the test , and all I have is a 9' pontoon with a 30lb electric on it. I did not even read the study material and passed it. This has got to be a joke....

dragon
04-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Hmmmm a loop hole? I own a small business maybe a I just do up an invoice for a boat rental in and keep it in the boat. I already have a boaters license but I'm going to try it next time I'm checked

But then your boat would have to be registered to your company and you would have to have rental insurance. I'm sure it's not worth the hassle.

Money grab yeah maybe. If it makes one boater more aware that his monsterous wake from his malibu nearly tipped over a canoe I'm all for it...

I've had my license since I was 15 so for 11 years now. Back then you had to take a course before you could write the test.

Xerophobic
04-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Everyone needs it and for any kind of boat with power, keep in mind Im sure they included electrics because there are companies building some signifigant electric craft these days. Technology has come a long way, electric planing craft are coming.....(some are already here)

The boaterexam.com is likely the easiest and probably the only computerized form of the test now, registries offices are using a harder written test as are most smaller independants. The links so far are the best places to take it.
Boeterexam.com is 36 q's milti choosy, you need 75% or more to pass. The process for a supervisor for the test is a bit more complex now, best to find their booth at a boat/sportsman or whatever trade show they are at, takes about 15 mins

Also a FYI there are two tickets for not having it, one for not having it at all and one for not having it with you, so it might be worth the extra ten bucks to get extra cards for your wallet and each boat, if you have more than one. Officers dicretion as to what ticket they give you, if anything.

Also to get the rental boat exemption there needs to be not only a rental agreement but also a checklist which goes over alot of the basics.

Its a one time card for life and its easy so just get it and forget it

Gun+Rod
04-02-2010, 09:04 PM
hey do you need a supervisor to write the exam online?

chasingtail
04-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Last time I was at BPS I took the test there, never went there for the license but seen the booth and you can write the test for free pay $60 if you pass so thought I would give it a try. Only operated a boat a couple times and really know nothing about them. Passed easily, It's just common sense, questions like is it lawful to consume alcohol and operate a boat. They also give them out at boating shows. Money grab to me, makes the leftys feel better.

aczarto
04-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Here's a $15 discount off the online exam:

BEBC5YX

Here's a link to the site:
BoaterExam.com (http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/)

You do need a "supervisor" to do it online, but it can be a buddy of yours as long as they're not related and not living in the same residence. They just act as a witness to say you didn't cheat (not that you would need to anyway, it's pretty easy).

Alex