PDA

View Full Version : Bone fishing

Jamie
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, I have a oportunity to head down to Long Beach in the Bahamas.
I see that "Bone Fishing" is one of the favorite things to do.

WHats the big deal with this?
Has anyone done it?
Can a guy learn to use a fly rod and catch fish in the same day?
I also see they use spinning rods as well. ANyone tried this method.

Thanks
Jamie

nicemustang
03-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Have you ever watched Dave Mercer's fact of fishing? I love that guy....awesome laugh. Anyway, he's done a few shows about bone fish. Dave doesn't fly fish, spin only. I've also seen Bob Izumi catch them in Cuba on spinning gear, and both of them caught quite a few fish. So IMO, no need for fly fishing.

He was basically just using a small jig head and a twister tail jig or berkley gulp twister, white/grey if I recal. He went through quite a few of them, couple sharks, etc and the bone fish chewed it up pretty good. I can't remember if they were using bait. If you go on his website and ask him, he'll (or someon) will tell you. I've done that before.

Chet
03-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Jamie,

They are awesome fish! Typically you sight fish for them in shallow water while wading or from the casting deck of a skiff. Being able to see them react to your presentation makes it so much fun and they fight extremely hard. I have fished for them in Florida and Cuba but not in the Bahamas however it is a great place to fish for them. A friend of mine who is crazy about Bone fishing is building a place in the Bahamas right now mainly for that purpose. I have only used fly gear for them in the past but spinning gear works well for them too.

If I can be of any help let me know.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/OutdoorChet/Cuba06ChadBone-6.jpg

BowhuntAB
03-03-2010, 09:44 AM
If you have never done it you need to try it!!! They are pretty amazing fish. I caught my first bone back in 96 in Belize and when i set the hook i figured i had a giant fish witch turned out to be 12" long.:lol:

They rip super fast and thats what most guys love about them. You usually get three blistering runs then they tire and usually circle.

The fishing is mostly sight fishing by either actually seeing the fish or "nervous" water, pushes, muds...It is a great stalking fish and i'm sure you would have a ball. The only way i have caught them is on the fly but i know you can toss shrimp and crabs at them as well. Plus the Bahamas has great bone fishing and they are good sized fish there so you should have great fishing.

As far as learning to fly cast and catching them in the same day...that maybe a possible if you have a good guide. Your best bet is to start practicing now and look at taking a lesson before you go. I have had guys in my boat fly halfway around the world and have never touched a fly rod catch load of fish locally. Depending on how skidish the bones you are fishing to are you may be ok. Keep in mind these are some of the spookiest fish there are. They are like a cat in a dogpound. Always ready to bolt! :)

Kingfisher
03-03-2010, 12:24 PM
I have fly fished for bones in various places. Grand Cayman, Mexico and Cuba.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=20183&d=1267645085

There is a reason people learn to fly fish and it's not just to look cool waving a rod in the air. Fly fishing adds a whole new dimension to your fishing. Even a small trout feels way different on a fly rod than on a spinning rod. Not that I'm trying to convert you into a fly fisherman.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=20184&d=1267645093

A fly rod is like a shock absorber and the flys represent a realistic food source for your fish. Add to that the satisfaction of possibly tying your own fly, and fooling a fish with something you tied yourself. Then you have a great feeling of accomplishment at the same time.

As I said fighting a fish on a fly rod is amazing enough. But as the others have said bones are like hunting a wild cat. They can be very skitish and bolt at the first sign of trouble.

Could you catch a bone fish fly fishing if you didn't know how to cast a fly rod.? Sure anything is possible. But you had better have a good guide and they had better put you in the middle of a bay of hungry bones.

Have fun, and have yourself a great time.
Rob

Edited to add in a few pictures to wet your whistle.

Deb
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
What an opportunity!! Flyfishing for bonefish is on my 'bucket list' ... listen to the guys and take a lesson or two before you go.

It'll be well worth the cost when you land your first one and you'll avoid the frustration of 'hands on learning.' I imagine it'd be a huge disappointment to watch others catch them on the fly while you're still trying to unravel the physics of casting the line versus the fly .. or figuring out how to mend your line.

You've probably read that folks are having good luck on the Bow ... no reason one of them couldn't be you prior to your trip!

If you go, have a blast ... so jealous *green with envy*

Deb

DuckBrat
03-03-2010, 07:03 PM
If your spin fishing use an egg weight with a 4 to 5 foot leader (Flouro) with an ultra sharp gamakatsu in size 6 or 8. Use crab meat, any you find running on the beach will do. A 7 weight fly rod with a 9 foot leader with a variety of charlies and bonefish candy flies. Use a lightweight fly that is close to the color of the sand/vegetation your fishing. Have fun.

Ayr
03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I fished the Bahamas over Christmas, for bones. Here is a link to the thread on that trip.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=49579&highlight=andros

Good luck, it's a blast!

Ayr.

Kingfisher
03-04-2010, 02:46 AM
The rod I use for most of my bone fishing is a 9'6" 8wt 4 piece. The reel I use is a Lamson Velocity 3.5 . I use a floating line that is a weight forward design. There are times you have to cast 70 feet or more to be in the "zone". There are times when you only have to cast 30 feet. But your taking much more of a chance of scaring off the bones if they see your movement.

Even if you spin cast for them try to cast way ahead of the moving fish. That way you'll have a better chance of not spooking them with whatever you use. Like it was mentioned previously they are like fishing for wild cat. They spook easily. Once you've made your cast be patient. Move the bait or fly only ever so slightly. Any quick movement will scare them off. Do you see a pattern here? Lots of things will scare away your prey. So be stealthy.

Use a lightweight fly that is close to the color of the sand/vegetation your fishing. Great advice from Duckbrat.

Rob

DuckBrat
03-04-2010, 06:14 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/OutdoorChet/Cuba06ChadBone-6.jpg

By the way this is an incredible bonefish, one that should never be forgotten.