PDA

View Full Version : Hooked Fish

Crusty
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Might as well start a thread on this. Tacklerunner you must not have flyfished when you were in B.C. Many times I have hooked fish other than in the mouth while flyfishing. Anyone have comments to add about hooking fish, different types and methods and how they compare? I believe a fairly caught fish is one which is hooked in the mouth, afterall we aren't trying get the fish to go after our lure/bait with their eye, tail or fin, are we? IMO I would not keep a fish and haven't unless it was hooked from inside the jaws and out. This should get some comments from the meat fisherman. I'm not questioning from the legal aspect but the sporting one.

Buck Krazy
03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Pretty sure it is illegal to keep a fish hooked anywhere other than in the mouth, not that there is really any way to prove it!:evilgrin:

tacklerunner
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Might as well start a thread on this. Tacklerunner you must not have flyfished when you were in B.C. Many times I have hooked fish other than in the mouth while flyfishing. Anyone have comments to add about hooking fish, different types and methods and how they compare? I believe a fairly caught fish is one which is hooked in the mouth, afterall we aren't trying get the fish to go after our lure/bait with their eye, tail or fin, are we? IMO I would not keep a fish and haven't unless it was hooked from inside the jaws and out. This should get some comments from the meat fisherman. I'm not questioning from the legal aspect but the sporting one.

Been flyfishing since I was 4 years old. I grew up on a river and practiced C&R most of the time because how many fish can a family eat? My brother, friends and I fished everyday in the summer as kids when there was no school. My dad showed me how to make a Royal Coachman once and from then on I was tying flies with mom's sewing thread and nail polish, feathers from the chicken coop and whatever else I could find, on the same hook over and over as it got beat up. I bet I foul hooked less than 0.01% of fish on the fly; not even 1 per year.

Nobody's even arguing the ethics of keeping fish if they're not hooked in the mouth with you. People will do what they will do.

I respect your opinion, but I have trouble seeing your point.

In BC you can't keep a fish if it's not hooked in the mouth. You agree, I agree and so will the majority. In AB it's a bit different. That's life.

It was kind of you to start a new thread as the Badger thread got side tracked and a guy was just sharing a nice story.

I'm out. :wave:

WayneChristie
03-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Personally I prefer to fish for pike. The way pike hit when they are on a spree, they can get hooked pretty near anywhere, as sometimes they even bodycheck your lure. I rarely keep pike to eat, but I think unless its snagged according the the definition in the Alberta regs, it would be up to the individuals discretion and personal ethics whether or not to keep the fish. If you are just doing catch and release its a moot point. Since I fish with bait for most of the other species, they almost always get mouth hooked anyways. my opinion for what its worth.

mooseknuckle
03-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Personally I prefer to fish for pike. The way pike hit when they are on a spree, they can get hooked pretty near anywhere, as sometimes they even bodycheck your lure. I rarely keep pike to eat, but I think unless its snagged according the the definition in the Alberta regs, it would be up to the individuals discretion and personal ethics whether or not to keep the fish. If you are just doing catch and release its a moot point. Since I fish with bait for most of the other species, they almost always get mouth hooked anyways. my opinion for what its worth.

This make sense to me.... if your in reality starving and have to feed yourself or those close to you sure keep one hooked by the butt cheek if need be. But I too stick to the they had to wanted it badly in order to eat