PDA

View Full Version : Smoke lake

Fishgut
03-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Going to Smoke L. on Sunday will be taking a ski-doo on a trailer was wondering where the lake could be accessed. Never been there before is there a campground or any place to park a truck and trailer. What depth of water do you fish for whites, a freind said to use wire worms is that what they bite on.

ceedub
03-04-2010, 04:15 PM
There is a campground at Smoke, you can access the lake from the boat launch there. There are a few places to catch whites, I've had the best luck just in front of the campground to the right and straight across the lake and slightly to the right in the bay. I've never fished Smoke this late, always had my best luck there right around Christmas. We've always fished in about 4 feet of water.

Huge whites that'll take your breath away, but difficult to catch, at least for us. I'd say the whites we've landed have averaged over 5 lbs, the biggest around 10. Good luck!

Craig

Fishgut
03-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Thank you Craig I'll let you know how we make out. First time trying for whitefish, sounds like it could be a bit slow at this time of year. Is that the norm for them in most lakes at this time of year. One more ? morning, afternoon or evening

GummyMonster
03-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Evening Fishgut,
I haven't fished Smoke itself, but a friend has been working in that area recently, and it has been VERY warm around there, might make for flooding or softer ice . Just a heads up . Good luck and keep us posted.
:DKen:D

deanmc
03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
A friend was out last week and ice was great could drive almost anywere no problem.But The lake was netted last week. I dont think that will have made for good whitefish action.

If you take the road south of the winks gas station you will be able to follow signs right to the campground. Not sure if it is open this time of the year but it is run by the town of fox creek. Here is a link to the campground info with phone contact info.

http://www.foxcreek.ca/images/camping.pdf

johnk
03-05-2010, 07:52 AM
There is a campground at Smoke, you can access the lake from the boat launch there. There are a few places to catch whites, I've had the best luck just in front of the campground to the right and straight across the lake and slightly to the right in the bay. I've never fished Smoke this late, always had my best luck there right around Christmas. We've always fished in about 4 feet of water.

Huge whites that'll take your breath away, but difficult to catch, at least for us. I'd say the whites we've landed have averaged over 5 lbs, the biggest around 10. Good luck!

Craig

I can attest to the size of the Whiteys in Smoke! The plant I work at overlooks Smoke Lake and I flyfish for the whites during open water season. They do love Chromie chironomids and can be taken on dries when the hexagenia hatch happens mid summer. The last four or five days it's been +12-14C and I sure wouldn't take my truck out there. The wolves will chew holes in your tires!

Was already mentioned but you take the Winks Rd. south at the west end of town and travel 5k to Smoke Lk. Rd. turn right and go 2k to entrance to campsites. Has been well travelled but don't know about inside the park.

Gerry
03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Fishgut, just a heads up on Smoke.
Found this on another fishing site.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=149702.0