PDA

View Full Version : Ling Cod-Poison sack?

ditch donkey
03-05-2010, 05:59 AM
The boys and I are going fishing, since we are staying in a camper on the lake I thought once it gets dark I might try to hook a couple of ling. Does any one have any tips?

Also I heard they have a poison sack that can rupture and taint the meat if you wait to long to clean them. That sounds like an old wives tail, but maybe it's true. Has any body ever hard of that?

WayneChristie
03-05-2010, 07:13 AM
never heard of the poison sac. to catch them smelts on the bottom, jig them a bit now and then is usually all you need. on a jig or pretty much any kind of hook.

huntsfurfish
03-05-2010, 07:50 AM
not sure about the poison sack;), but after dark I here they turn into were-lings;);):lol:

Guts left in or punctured can taint the meat.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-05-2010, 07:57 AM
The boys and I are going fishing, since we are staying in a camper on the lake I thought once it gets dark I might try to hook a couple of ling. Does any one have any tips?

Also I heard they have a poison sack that can rupture and taint the meat if you wait to long to clean them. That sounds like an old wives tail, but maybe it's true. Has any body ever hard of that?

If you were to rupture the stomach when filleting , can cause the meat to Taint . IT's the Bile in the stomach .

tchow
03-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Was out last weekend and slept in my Truck. Fished til 1030ish as I was too tired. Used Jig and Minnow and set it anywhere from 6" off bottom. It was good from 7 pm to around 10

roachman
03-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't know that I would call it a poison sack. But if cleaned the wrong way it will stain the meat. Burbot are primarily all belly so when you skin them and are getting ready to cut the belly.... the belly meat is for the most part very thin. When you are cutting from the poop shoot up... or however it is you choose to...you wanna make sure you don't dig your knife deeply in the way that you may a pike or other species of fish. You won't cut the stomach bile sack... and you will still have nice white meat. Cut that and it's very yellow and stains it immediately. Not appealing to the eye. However some may say not noticeable to the pallet. Hope that helps . I've made the mistake and so far only have one green chin hair!

seahawkfisher
03-05-2010, 10:11 PM
i like to fillet them from the top of the back down, just feather the blade along the ribs and all the guts stay inside
cheers