PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Changes to Sport fishing Licence fees

Cam T
03-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I sent this letter to the the people below; I hope many of you agree. If so, I encourage you to do the same. If you do not agree please tell us why.

Thanks;

"Dear
Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Conservation, Alberta Fish and Game, My Wild Alberta; and Honourable Members of the Legislative Assembly;

I have been an avid sport fisherman for 20 years, but as of late I just have not had the time to go fishing on a regular basis. I do not think I am alone in this situation, as many professionals are busy people whom may only go sport fishing 1 or 2 times per summer. Because of the current licensing standards, I have not fished or spent any money on fishing gear in Alberta since the introduction of barbless hook regulations. Since I rarely caught fish in one or two outings a year with barbed hooks, why would I want to spend $25.66/year not to catch any fish. I have however went on trips outside of Alberta, purchased a 3 day non resident license and caught fish, and had a great time doing so. I was on vacation.
I suggest changes for licensing sport fishing in Alberta.
I propose that licensing standards be changed, from the single yearly fee of $25.66 + $8.00 for a WIN card to a system with options to chose from.

Now if a family of 4 goes fishing once or twice or even three times a year, the family has a $100 for the licence fee for this entertainment. Probably they would catch and release, if they caught anything at all. The cost is rather high considering they may only fish that one time on a family vacation. There are many entertainment options is this province, I think that some reform is required to be competitive with the consumer’s dollar. The following proposals will benefit Alberta’s Health and Wellness as well as promote recreation in Alberta!

I propose that three additional options be permitted when purchasing a licence.
1) A catch and release licence – 50% off the regular cost, therefore a “C&R Licence” would cost $12.33/annual licence.
Purchasing this licence would not allow any fish to be kept. The majority of people I know; “catch and release”.
2) A 3 day licence - 50% of the regular cost, therefore a “3 day Licence” would cost $12.33. This licence would allow for keeping of caught fish within the legal regulations.
3) Start expiring licenses 365days from the date of issue, I paid for a licence for my step-son to go ice fishing last weekend, the damn $25.66 licence expires March 18th.

These options would
1) Generate more overall interest in sport fishing,
2) Get more people out of the house on a weekend,
3) Enjoy The Alberta environment,
4) Get more families spending time together,
5) Increase overall lifestyles’
6) Get kids off videogames and into a sport,
7) Increase Revenues for Alberta Fish and Game Associations.
8) Will reduce poaching; as many people believe spending $25+ for a few hours is too much money.

This is a WIN –WIN situation. Please consider for the 2010-2011 sport fishing season.

Thank you"

hunter49
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
A night at the bar costs atleast as much as a year round fishing license. 26 bucks a year is NOTHING, costs double that to fill the truck after getting back from fishing. I think they should INCREASE costs and send more CO's out into the field.

However,
I do agree on the 365 days from the date it was bought, that one is pretty stupid.

chasingtail
03-06-2010, 03:02 PM
I 100% agree. I have purchased a license every year since I was 16, and have been more reluctant the last several years. I bought a license the 09/10year and went ice fishing once, went to sylvan didn't catch a thing. It is getting harder and harder to justify spending $60 for my wife and I to go fishing once a year. I may just watch our 2 year old fish this year, but most likely will break down and buy one.
I don't spend any money at the bar either:tongue2:

fisher Gord
03-06-2010, 04:55 PM
the only place ASRD get any money for fish management is from fishing licenses. Money also comes from general revenue. tax dollars. pay for the licenses and think about how you are helping manage the fish so our grandchilren will still be able to fish.

fishpro
03-06-2010, 04:58 PM
I personally thing that the license fees are too low. Are you saying it's too much to spend $30 if you're only going to use it for one day? Look at some other activities out there, a round of golf can be over $100 for one person for a game. I think they should maybe offer a one day license for about $20, but make the annual up to about $50-$100. If you go any cheaper there's hardly even a point in making a license mandatory.

tacklerunner
03-06-2010, 05:12 PM
I somewhat agree and think $25 is cheap. An annual pass for your family isn't much more than a night out at the movies. What bothers me most is that there is no increase for non-residents (such as BC).

For me in BC it costs me:

$55 for a freshwater license
$106.50 for a salt water license
$6.30 for a Salmon Stamp
$20 for a Kootenay Lake Rainbow tag

$187.80 so far................... and

$40 PER DAY to flyfish the Elk River and tributaries

Now for my AB License it $25.66

But.........for my brother who lives in BC to get an AB license it's............................$25.66?!?! :huh::huh::huh::huh:

Think there's a problem here??????????????????????????????

SushiUnagi
03-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Well written Cam T! Totally agree with you. However, on the flip side like other users have mentioned, this might generate discussions that our fishing license is much cheaper than the rest of the country (I'm assuming its one of the cheapest? Enlighten me if there's a province thats cheaper and I'll consider moving there! :D)...which might cause the license cost to go up with nothing gained. But I'll be all for a C&R license though...but would love to try Walleye one of these days since everyone's raving about it!

I do agree there should be more COs out there. Been out about 20 times this license period and have yet to see one. Hopefully its not a time when I'm accidentally using a barbed hook! :\

I strongly agree that out of province individuals should pay more than residents just like other provinces though.

keljay
03-06-2010, 05:54 PM
It does anger me slightly that like others have said non-residents pay the same as us Albertan's. I think the price should be increased for them. I have no issues with the current rate, and I could live with an increase as long as I get to see more CO's being hired.

I totally agree that when you buy a license that it should be good for 365 days from the time of purchase.

huntsfurfish
03-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Personally I think we have it to cheap already. Cmon guys, 25 dollars for a year??? You cant do anything cheaper than that. Wouldnt hurt to raise it!

I also would like to see seniors and kids licenced say over 6:evilgrin:(kids and seniors at a reduced rate though)(No free rides). Then you would get a more accurate count of the fisherperson/days in AB and more revenue.

Also, non res should pay more as well.

Licence structure fees:

Adult $40.00 or 50.00
Senior $25.00
Kids 6-17 $25.00
Non res Canadian $75.00
Non Res $125.00

Flack vest on and ready.

Easier enforcement with a March 31 ending of all licences.

pipercub17
03-06-2010, 06:39 PM
$25 a year is nothing at all buddy :cry:
i would like to see a catch & release licence too
but i think the non-residents should pay at least $35
and i agree with the 365 days a year thing

tacklerunner
03-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Easier enforcement with a March 31 ending of all licences.

Agreed. 1 year from date of license would be nice but not feasible.

Cam T
03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I am only focused on Alberta resident fees, non resident fees are altogether different. I was not suggesting the current annual license is too low or too high. I am suggesting that options be available like other provinces.

A few fees I have looked into are below; resident aged 16-64 years old.
Fresh water rates

B.C. Resident
Annual - $36.00
One day - $10.00
Eight day - $20.00
Canadian not from Alberta - $55.00

Saskatchewan Resident
Annual Licence - $29.44
Three day Resident - $14.72
3 day, Canadian, not from Saskatchewan - $29.44

Manitoba Resident
Annual - $19.83
Annual Conservation License - $13.94 (Reduced catch limits)
Annual Canadian, not from Manitoba - Full limit - $42.40
Annual Canadian, not from Manitoba - Conservation - $22.77

Ontario Resident
Annual Sport Fishing License - $24.75
Annual Conservation License - $14.25
One Day License - Canadian - $11.25
Outdoor Card needed, $9.00, similar to our WIN card.
Other 3 year license options are available as well.
Canadian, not from Ontario -1 day license - $11.25, Outdoor card not needed

Quebec Resident Sport Fishing, No Atlantic Salmon
Annual License -$19.25
3 day License - $11.01

Alberta Resident
Annual License - $26.44
Canadian not from Alberta - $26.44

So as you can see there are other options available in the other provinces.

Some provinces are higher and lower than ours, but most provinces allow for a conservation licence or a reduced time frame at a reduced cost. Most families in Alberta would like to spread their money around. For some; taking their children for $100 round of golf is not an option.

And regarding the full one year expiry not being feasible; I would bet every one here has a different expiry for their vehicle registration and drivers license.

Cam T

tacklerunner
03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Ten four Cam on the 1 day and 1 week licenses.

One thing I learned on this forum is if you post

"If you do not agree please tell us why."

you're gonna get a response.

keljay
03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I'll prolly regret typing this, but... I don't see how a 365 day license is more difficult to enforce. This is how I see it going down: CO asks for license, you give him yours, he checks the date on license, looks at his watch/phone/pocket calendar, confirms today's date. Your either within the bounds of your license, or you're not.

As far as having the expirations as a means to ensure conformity to current regulations, ie. you buy your new license when the new fishing reg's come out therefore you should be up to date on all changes. I think most of us could still stay up to date by just picking up the new book when the new year hits, be it new calendar year or new fiscal year.

I don't want to start a flame war, I'm just looking for some discussion. I've been in the sun all day so I'm probably not seeing the other side of the argument properly!!!

Redfrog
03-06-2010, 06:57 PM
If you want to C/R i have no problem with that, go ahead.

Instead of complaining about the fees just go fishing more. I don't see a reason to revamp the system because you don't think you are getting your money's worth. Go bowling, or skiing, or golfing, or whatever, it will be more than 25 dollars.

genoel
03-06-2010, 07:03 PM
I also agree that our licences are pretty cheap @ $25. I suppose you could charge more for non residents and offer a 3 or 7 day licence for those interested, but they do offer 2 days a year where you can fish without a licence. Really what is $25 these days. As for offfering a licence that's good for a year from when you buy it, I think that just creates a lot of problems by putting the onus on people to keep track of when their's would expire. Much simpler this way, where it expires at basically the end of icefishing season when many of the waters are closed to angling anyway. As for a catch and release licence, the licence is for the right to fish, not keep them. They have introduced the tags for some lakes for the right to keep a few.:wave:
Having licences all expire on Mar.31 also means that your licence is dated the same as the current regulations for that year, which have been changing quite a bit the last few years. When you buy a new licence you get a new set of regs for the year.

huntsfurfish
03-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Sorry Cam, but if people cant / wont spend $25.00 for a year but would spend $12.50 for 3 days or a week?

Catch and release fishermen (which I am and have been for 25 years) are still using the resource and should pay the same.
We do not have the same resources/fish-water as other provinces.

Just my humble opinion though.

tacklerunner
03-06-2010, 07:50 PM
I'll prolly regret typing this, but... I don't see how a 365 day license is more difficult to enforce.QUOTE]

see below. no regrets

[QUOTE=genoel;528890]Having licences all expire on Mar.31 also means that your licence is dated the same as the current regulations for that year, which have been changing quite a bit the last few years. When you buy a new licence you get a new set of regs for the year.

x 2. Those who need control like to keep it simple. Just like your driver's license expires every 5 years on your Bday. Set in stone when it works.

tacklerunner
03-06-2010, 07:54 PM
By the way Cam, no offense, but if that quad in your profile pick is yours, best be stopping beetching about $26 per year.

keljay
03-06-2010, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=keljay;528883]I'll prolly regret typing this, but... I don't see how a 365 day license is more difficult to enforce.QUOTE]

see below. no regrets

x 2. Those who need control like to keep it simple. Just like your driver's license expires every 5 years on your Bday. Set in stone when it works.

I see your point, it's probably easier just to leave it the way it is. I feel bad though for guys that discover that they like fishing at the end of March, and have to buy a new license right away.

It's nice to see though that most of us are willing to pay a bit more for doing what we love.

tacklerunner
03-06-2010, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=tacklerunner;528912]

I see your point, it's probably easier just to leave it the way it is. I feel bad though for guys that discover that they like fishing at the end of March, and have to buy a new license right away.

It's nice to see though that most of us are willing to pay a bit more for doing what we love.

To discover you love fishing is a priceless thing. Regardless of your means, it is still an inexpensive, affordable yet extremely rewarding and fullfilling sport that all can experience. God bless Mother Nature.

Sundancefisher
03-06-2010, 08:22 PM
the only place ASRD get any money for fish management is from fishing licenses. Money also comes from general revenue. tax dollars. pay for the licenses and think about how you are helping manage the fish so our grandchilren will still be able to fish.

All licence revenue goes straight into general coffers. There is currently no legislation to have all revenues go back into fisheries. That being said...I am not sure exactly how much revenue there is coming from hunting and fishing. Any ideas how much this is versus what the annual F&W budget is?

tacklerunner
03-06-2010, 08:33 PM
All licence revenue goes straight into general coffers. There is currently no legislation to have all revenues go back into fisheries. That being said...I am not sure exactly how much revenue there is coming from hunting and fishing. Any ideas how much this is versus what the annual F&W budget is?

I don't think it's public information or that we can just google and find it on the internet. We should be able to in a democracy but, you know...:( Could be worse; we could be living in the U*A.

Banger
03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
These options would
8) Will reduce poaching; as many people believe spending $25+ for a few hours is too much money.

Is this a joke? You think all this would happen by offering a 3 day, 365 day, or catch and release fee that is half the cost of the fishing permit now?

I dont even know what to say...... its $25...... a savings of $12 will not make any of those 8 points happen.

I agree with the people that think it should be more money. One of the cheapest hobbies there is out there. I have no problem spending more if it results in more money getting put back into the sport, whether it be more law enforcement, better convervation of resources, etc

Cam T
03-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Yeah, that's my quad. Never did I say $26 was too much. And it is no joke Banger. The fact is most provinces offer licence options. You can't honestly tell me that a family of 4 on vacation would not benefit from a option of 3 day licences at a reduced rate. That extra ~$50 would buy the family supper. But if everyone here has no budget, that's awesome. I will write a new letter to establish a license fee of $100 per year and $200 per year for non-Albertans.
How many people here actually take the whole family fishing anyway?
P.S. **** on gun Control too!

Jimboy
03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
I sent this letter to the the people below; I hope many of you agree. If so, I encourage you to do the same. If you do not agree please tell us why.

Thanks;

"Dear
Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Conservation, Alberta Fish and Game, My Wild Alberta; and Honourable Members of the Legislative Assembly;

I have been an avid sport fisherman for 20 years, but as of late I just have not had the time to go fishing on a regular basis. I do not think I am alone in this situation, as many professionals are busy people whom may only go sport fishing 1 or 2 times per summer. Because of the current licensing standards, I have not fished or spent any money on fishing gear in Alberta since the introduction of barbless hook regulations. Since I rarely caught fish in one or two outings a year with barbed hooks, why would I want to spend $25.66/year not to catch any fish. I have however went on trips outside of Alberta, purchased a 3 day non resident license and caught fish, and had a great time doing so. I was on vacation.
I propose that licensing standards be changed, from the single yearly fee of $25.66 + $8.00 for a WIN card to a system with options to chose from.

Now if a family of 4 goes fishing once or twice or even three times a year, the family has a $100 for the licence fee for this entertainment. Probably they would catch and release, if they caught anything at all. The cost is rather high considering they may only fish that one time on a family vacation. There are many entertainment options is this province, I think that some reform is required to be competitive with the consumer’s dollar. The following proposals will benefit Alberta’s Health and Wellness as well as promote recreation in Alberta!

1) A catch and release licence – 50% off the regular cost, therefore a “C&R Licence” would cost $12.33/annual licence.
Purchasing this licence would not allow any fish to be kept. The majority of people I know; “catch and release”.
2) A 3 day licence - 50% of the regular cost, therefore a “3 day Licence” would cost $12.33. This licence would allow for keeping of caught fish within the legal regulations.
3) Start expiring licenses 365days from the date of issue, I paid for a licence for my step-son to go ice fishing last weekend, the damn $25.66 licence expires March 18th.

These options would

This is a WIN –WIN situation. Please consider for the 2010-2011 sport fishing season.

Thank you"

Just brought that up last week , license should be good for a year from date of issue , lets git er done.

Beazer
03-07-2010, 12:14 AM
If your complaining about $26 you should sell the quad and the big SUV/truck you use to pull it, then you can buy yourself a nice yaris or hybrid.

Should be able to afford fishing then.

Cam T
03-07-2010, 06:06 AM
If your complaining about $26 you should sell the quad and the big SUV/truck you use to pull it, then you can buy yourself a nice yaris or hybrid.

Should be able to afford fishing then.

Beaser you are a knothead, where in my post do I say $26 is too much! Read the post before jumping on the wagon.

I really hope that everyone here who thinks $26 is too low a yearly fees, donates to the AFGA or similar charities the amount they believe they should be paying per year. I guess this is the liberal forum.

Oilberta
03-07-2010, 06:34 AM
I agree that we should get liscensed for a whole 365 days of the year.
I can see how the cost is prohibitive especially for people who only fish one time a year.
Every year I buy a National Parks licence for Banff, it really bugs me that if I want to go to Waterton I have to buy another licence.
But at the end of the day, if I golf one round at Kananaskis or Okotoks it costs me more for one round of golf then for all three fishing licence's.
So it really is cheap to fish in Alberta!

huntsfurfish
03-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Current License costs:

1 day-$26.44/day
2 day-$13.22/day
3 day-$8.81/day

1 week- $0.51/year
1 month-$2.20/year
1 year/day-$0.07(day)./year

You get to choose how many days u can use it(sweet- hows that for a membership fee). Even in larger cities there are rivers running through them + stocked lakes. Not hard to get out even on a budget. And as a bonus, you get the option to keep a few fish if you choose to (helps with food).

The figures above were for a single person/or parent with kids under 16. Even for a family of 4(all over 16), it is still super affordable when compared to anything else other than couch potato growth(even that by the time you pay all soda/beer snacks prolly evens out anyway);)!

If they were to up the current fishing license to 40-50 bucks and had a 3 day for for $26.44 that would be OK I guess. And had a senior license and 6-17 youth license for $26.44 then we would be on the right track. However it would sure be nice if the increases etc would go to the fisheries/development end of things.

fisher Gord
03-07-2010, 09:33 AM
I do not have the exact figures from the afga convention but it goes similar to this. 6.00 goes to IBM to run the system,3.00 goes to the license issuer. 10.00 goes to ACA for fish info management. which leave 6 bucks to general revenue and more than that comes back out to run ASRD fish management. Now, with on line license more money can go to where it is suppost to, but we hurt a local business who just spent 1800$ to get a new license machine. whether you get good value for the money that goes to ACA is a different thread.

tatonkagp
03-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Holy crap, I think they should make our licences more expensive, like 100 per year and get more co's out. if thats what it would take. Thats a little heavy but like you say one round of gold cost that. Ithink it would be too hard to control the other variations of fishing licences. I would glady pay triple what we are paying now if it would go directly into fishing conservation, and not more hunting stuff.

mayuan
03-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Well I guess this is where I **** everyone off. I think the price of the licence should be about $100-150+ for a regular licence and $50-75+ for a catch and release. This will reduce the people fishing and allow for the resources to recover . Of cource 16 and below should be free, but the upper limit should be changed to 60. The free for all with the native population should be stopped. At this point the fish population in Alberta is not is not sustainable. :)

BlackHeart
03-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Funny, lot of guys here asking to be charged more to fish. :huh:

Think of the taxes within the gas you spend to go fishing.
Think of the taxes built into the equipment you buy to go fishing (yes its there, but thats a long discussion)
Think of all the other taxes you pay, income tax, GST, fuel, sin taxes, property tax, all the other fees and licences you pay......and you want more.

Giving gov't the idea that something like tax or licences are too cheap is just promoting the idea that they put a economic valuation on these types of events, irregardless of all the other money they have collected by other means. And its not like more money equals better programs, etc, just more money to waste or misappropriate.

Does increased speeding fines improve our justice system or the drivers safer....no it just makes the municipalities greedier and to depend upon these revenues. Thats a bad thing as they will keep ticketing irrregardless if people start to slow down....they need to keep revenues up to pay for all those additional peace officers (they don't willynilly lay them off and rehire them as needed) and they have had it too easy in managing the tax dollars and generally have committed themselves to programs that were nice(versus need) to have. So they go out and look for areas to reduce speeds and transition zones, to catch people off guard as that is now the way to generate fines. Also the munis want to patrol highways, they just were given secondary hwys. The photo radar companies promote their service, and keep lobbying to do this on our main highways. All about money and revenue generation, nothing about safety...if they want safety we have all seen people, on a daily basis, that we are amazed have a drivers licence, on the road.

The above is just a example of what can happen if we start messing with the idea of licence fees for value and income generation to put more COs on the payroll. Before you know it the idea will be to have them generate the revenue (fines) to support their wages, and the other money that we pay will go to suppporting a bigger beaucracy for the politicians. And it is much easier to generate revenue from the small stuff......how many lowlifes will even pay the large fines from poaching......and the hours in court. So you will have turned COs into taxation officers and revenuers.

At least leave fishing alone from the concept of revenue generation. We pay our taxes, let the govt manage properly without taking the easy way out.

Cam T
03-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Well Spoken Blackheart!
The more money one makes; the more money one spends.

6mmhunter
03-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Funny, lot of guys here asking to be charged more to fish. :huh:

Think of the taxes within the gas you spend to go fishing.
Think of the taxes built into the equipment you buy to go fishing (yes its there, but thats a long discussion)
Think of all the other taxes you pay, income tax, GST, fuel, sin taxes, property tax, all the other fees and licences you pay......and you want more.

Giving gov't the idea that something like tax or licences are too cheap is just promoting the idea that they put a economic valuation on these types of events, irregardless of all the other money they have collected by other means. And its not like more money equals better programs, etc, just more money to waste or misappropriate.

Does increased speeding fines improve our justice system or the drivers safer....no it just makes the municipalities greedier and to depend upon these revenues. Thats a bad thing as they will keep ticketing irrregardless if people start to slow down....they need to keep revenues up to pay for all those additional peace officers (they don't willynilly lay them off and rehire them as needed) and they have had it too easy in managing the tax dollars and generally have committed themselves to programs that were nice(versus need) to have. So they go out and look for areas to reduce speeds and transition zones, to catch people off guard as that is now the way to generate fines. Also the munis want to patrol highways, they just were given secondary hwys. The photo radar companies promote their service, and keep lobbying to do this on our main highways. All about money and revenue generation, nothing about safety...if they want safety we have all seen people, on a daily basis, that we are amazed have a drivers licence, on the road.

The above is just a example of what can happen if we start messing with the idea of licence fees for value and income generation to put more COs on the payroll. Before you know it the idea will be to have them generate the revenue (fines) to support their wages, and the other money that we pay will go to suppporting a bigger beaucracy for the politicians. And it is much easier to generate revenue from the small stuff......how many lowlifes will even pay the large fines from poaching......and the hours in court. So you will have turned COs into taxation officers and revenuers.

At least leave fishing alone from the concept of revenue generation. We pay our taxes, let the govt manage properly without taking the easy way out.

Well Said.

huntsfurfish
03-07-2010, 02:14 PM
"Think of the taxes within the gas you spend to go fishing.
Think of all the other taxes you pay, income tax, GST, fuel, sin taxes, property tax, all the other fees and licences you pay......and you want more. "

We all pay that. Nothing wrong with the users paying more for the the privilege though.

"Funny, lot of guys here asking to be charged more to fish"

Funny, Lots of guys asking to be charged less too.

Could set it up to collect $25.00 of a fifty dollar license to go to fisheries and development!

alacringa
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I strongly agree that out of province individuals should pay more than residents just like other provinces though.

Not sure about this -- but I suspect that this partly reflects the fact that other provinces have provincial sales taxes, and so residents are (theoretically) contributing in that way, whereas non-residents are not (or at least not as much). I do think, however, that increasing the fee for both Albertans, and for non-residents (say, $35 for residents, and $75 for others) might ease some of the pressure on the fishery.

I do like the idea of licenses being valid for 365 days, but with that being said, once you've bought one, you just get the next one in March every year, so no biggie.

As others have said, I typically spend more on gas for a single fishing trip, than I spend on my license for the year -- not to mention other supplies; so you won't hear me complaining, that's for sure.

aulrich
03-07-2010, 04:58 PM
I like the 365 day licence, I see no real down side, and the upside is in cases like I ran into this weekend, a friend would have come icefishing but with a month left in the licence why bother. Sure he could have boght a day licence but who will bother, he just did not go. a 365 day licence is more apt to draw in new people. No infrastructure change it has win all over it.

No higer fees... well sort of, keep the base fee the same but have a stamp that goes directly to practical use stocking, habitat improvement etc, not to general.

tacklerunner
03-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Having licences all expire on Mar.31 also means that your licence is dated the same as the current regulations for that year, which have been changing quite a bit the last few years. When you buy a new licence you get a new set of regs for the year.

As I pointed out before, this is why you have to have a common expiry date on the license; or why it would be costly to make a change. MAYBE a 25% discount on a license purchased between Oct 1 - March 31 would appease some of you but holy crap, for $26, even if you go out once, that will be the cheapest part of your day.

Paul C
03-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Thanks;

"Dear

These options would

Thank you"
If you are doing costing for fishing please do costing for enforcement of our laws that try to keep fishing safe for all. 25 dollars is cheap compared to what the tax man takes. Most of the fishing costs are for beer and fuel.

tacklerunner
03-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I wish I could get through a winter without spending more that $26 on bait. :tongue2:

Paul C
03-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I wish I could get through a winter without spending more that $26 on bait. :tongue2:
X2

Beazer
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
Beaser you are a knothead, where in my post do I say $26 is too much! Read the post before jumping on the wagon.

:rolleye2:
I think we all know what you really meant.

Cam T
03-07-2010, 06:09 PM
:rolleye2:
I think we all know what you really meant.

Yeah, Knothead is equal to a mid 20's, snot nose, know it all, punk ass waiter, by the way wine man, what the feck is a yaris?

Beazer
03-07-2010, 06:31 PM
How original, peace brah.
Go take some stress reliever or something.

RandyBoBandy
03-07-2010, 07:48 PM
$26 a year for a fishing licence is too cheap! Especially in Alberta where the fisherman per lake/stream/river is totally out of whack with the rest of Canada. The fishing pressure here in Alberta is out of whack. Make it at least $100 to fish and keep vs $50 to catch and release. I see what happens all over the world and "we" are screwing our selves by trying to fish and keep. I used to be a keeper kind of guy until my SIL came over from Europe where it's 100% catch and release, I now understand why they do it like that. If we had an abundance of lakes and an abundance of species,then we could call that culling, but not here in Alberta, everything here is on the brink of anihilation. The fishing pressure here is tantamont and damaging.:cool:

Crusty
03-07-2010, 07:49 PM
You asked to know why readers of your post do not agree with your thoughts and you blow up after reading their responses. Way to go Cam T, your bound to get far with your ideas with that kind of attitude!!

If your only going fish once a year do it on a free day. That goes for anyone. Otherwise suck it up, it's cheap!! It takes more than one day fishing to bond the family. If the family has that much at stake they should be going fishing or out in the wilds every weekend. Your problem of no time is why society is skidding into the ditch. If ya can't make time for family you are toast.:(:(

McLeod
03-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Bottomline is the Licenses fees should go up if the extra money goes to the resource and not general revenue for the government.
The money should go to directly to improving fisheries and protecting fish habitat. Not to the ACA to fund studies on snails.
The money should go to the SRD for officers , improving our hatcheries , creating better fishing opportunites for Albertans.

Okotokian
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Leave it alone. We don't want more taxes or cost, and everyone here on this forum can afford $26 a year to fish. Your kids are already free. It's $26 for you and the kids to go out all year. Geez Louise. :huh:

McLeod
03-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Leave it alone. We don't want more taxes or cost, and everyone here on this forum can afford $26 a year to fish. Your kids are already free. It's $26 for you and the kids to go out all year. Geez Louise. :huh:

Don't complain then when fish stocking is reduced to next nothing or there are no fish in your creek or lake because of poaching and no money to keep enforcement at the levels in needs to be.

Okotokian
03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Don't complain then when fish stocking is reduced to next nothing or there are no fish in your creek or lake because of poaching and no money to keep enforcement at the levels in needs to be.

I'm not saying I wouldn't be willing to pay more if it really made a difference. And if they doubled the fees this year I'd probably just shrug and pay it. But:
1) The department spends money on idiotic things like RAMP that none of us want. Put THAT money towards fish conservation.
2) SRD does some things that may or may not help fish habitat while their government brethern in other departments approve industrial projects and agricultural uses that dwarf poaching in terms of damage to fish populations.

So I'm a bit hesitant to heed calls to just give them more cash.

McLeod
03-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm not saying I wouldn't be willing to pay more if it really made a difference. And if they doubled the fees this year I'd probably just shrug and pay it. But:
1) The department spends money on idiotic things like RAMP that none of us want. Put THAT money towards fish conservation.
2) SRD does some things that may or may not help fish habitat while their government brethern in other departments approve industrial projects and agricultural uses that dwarf poaching in terms of damage to fish populations.

So I'm a bit hesitant to heed calls to just give them more cash.

Agreed..the real crime is the money.. but not the SRD spending the money , instead it's the more than 3 million going to the ACA from fishermans licenses fees that could be of a far greater benefit and bang for the buck by staying with the SRD.

jrs
03-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Agreed..the real crime is the money.. but not the SRD spending the money , instead it's the more than 3 million going to the ACA from fishermans licenses fees that could be of a far greater benefit and bang for the buck by staying with the SRD.

X2, put the money where it will be spent on getting the information that is actually needed at this point in time. No point in changing anything if the extra funds continue to flow solely to the ACA.

addicted
03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
#30 2 Days Ago
huntsfurfish Join Date: Apr 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current License costs:

1 day-$26.44/day
2 day-$13.22/day
3 day-$8.81/day

1 week- $0.51/year
1 month-$2.20/year
1 year/day-$0.07(day)./year

You get to choose how many days u can use it(sweet- hows that for a membership fee). Even in larger cities there are rivers running through them + stocked lakes. Not hard to get out even on a budget. And as a bonus, you get the option to keep a few fish if you choose to (helps with food).

The figures above were for a single person/or parent with kids under 16. Even for a family of 4(all over 16), it is still super affordable when compared to anything else other than couch potato growth(even that by the time you pay all soda/beer snacks prolly evens out anyway)!

If they were to up the current fishing license to 40-50 bucks and had a 3 day for for $26.44 that would be OK I guess. And had a senior license and 6-17 youth license for $26.44 then we would be on the right track. However it would sure be nice if the increases etc would go to the fisheries/development end of things.

I totally agree, our licenses should be more expensive lol.... Its super cheap to fish the killer is the gas to get there or the break down on the side of the road that sucks lol

But really the best way to do it is a seasonal license as we have now keeps you up to date on the laws.... If you feel bad for the guy that buys his or her license in march dont some people get out once others 100 times its a choice we get to make.

How many of us buy a cup or coffee every morning or eat out once a week blah blah blah

fishing is cheap

I like a senior and child license

I say no way to a cheaper c/r license though ... big deal if your releasing the fish, you still have an impact on the overal fishery and sometimes fighting that fish puts excess stress on it which ends up killing it so now what u might aswell kept it if it died or it swallows the hook to far and now you cant keep it cause you bought a silly license that doesnt allow you to keep the fish you killed hmmm....... sounds like a great idea....... dont be sooo cheap

this is just my opinion

enzo
03-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Barbed hooks + cheap license = no fish.

trainerdave
03-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Happy to pay more to a point up to 50.00. Happier if they make a certain portion of lakes c&r for a period of time. At least for some species.Then re-open them for general once things "rebound". The extra money spent on the licence could be used to monitor fish stocks or improve habitat so numbers stay up. Healthy lakes and vigorous fish withstand harvest better. Plenty of fish for everyone if managed properly. I do not expect to pay less for catch and release. I wish to pay more if protecting and improving the resource is for everybody here in the future.That said...if we are paying for the upgrade-out of province folks should pay a premium as they do with hunting licences.

tacklerunner
03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Happy to pay more to a point up to 50.00. Happier if they make a certain portion of lakes c&r for a period of time. At least for some species.Then re-open them for general once things "rebound". The extra money spent on the licence could be used to monitor fish stocks or improve habitat so numbers stay up. Healthy lakes and vigorous fish withstand harvest better. Plenty of fish for everyone if managed properly. I do not expect to pay less for catch and release. I wish to pay more if protecting and improving the resource is for everybody here in the future.That said...if we are paying for the upgrade-out of province folks should pay a premium as they do with hunting licences.

x 2!!!!!!!!!!!! Agree with every point fully and completely.

huntsfurfish
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
For those that wanted to discuss AB fishing license.

pipco
03-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah, Knothead is equal to a mid 20's, snot nose, know it all, punk ass waiter, by the way wine man, what the feck is a yaris?

It's difficult to take anyone posting a reply like this seriously. :snapoutofit:
In fairness you should be commended for actually taking the time to write the powers that be but I don't agree with your request.

How much is a case of beer?

More money for resources and development of our fisheries from higher licensing fees would suit me fine.

Sundancefisher
03-01-2012, 01:50 PM
I am only focused on Alberta resident fees, non resident fees are altogether different. I was not suggesting the current annual license is too low or too high. I am suggesting that options be available like other provinces.

A few fees I have looked into are below; resident aged 16-64 years old.
Fresh water rates

B.C. Resident
Annual - $36.00
One day - $10.00
Eight day - $20.00
Canadian not from Alberta - $55.00

Saskatchewan Resident
Annual Licence - $29.44
Three day Resident - $14.72
3 day, Canadian, not from Saskatchewan - $29.44

Manitoba Resident
Annual - $19.83
Annual Conservation License - $13.94 (Reduced catch limits)
Annual Canadian, not from Manitoba - Full limit - $42.40
Annual Canadian, not from Manitoba - Conservation - $22.77

Ontario Resident
Annual Sport Fishing License - $24.75
Annual Conservation License - $14.25
One Day License - Canadian - $11.25
Outdoor Card needed, $9.00, similar to our WIN card.
Other 3 year license options are available as well.
Canadian, not from Ontario -1 day license - $11.25, Outdoor card not needed

Quebec Resident Sport Fishing, No Atlantic Salmon
Annual License -$19.25
3 day License - $11.01

Alberta Resident
Annual License - $26.44
Canadian not from Alberta - $26.44

So as you can see there are other options available in the other provinces.

Some provinces are higher and lower than ours, but most provinces allow for a conservation licence or a reduced time frame at a reduced cost. Most families in Alberta would like to spread their money around. For some; taking their children for $100 round of golf is not an option.

And regarding the full one year expiry not being feasible; I would bet every one here has a different expiry for their vehicle registration and drivers license.

Cam T

Alberta should just increase the rates for BC residents to $100 yr. Keep the rest the same. Baring that create a catch and release licence...keep it the same price as it is now. Make a limited catch and kill licence $70 to help cover costs of hatcheries. Put all money collected towards fisheries.

Okotokian
03-01-2012, 01:50 PM
It's difficult to take anyone posting a reply like this seriously. :snapoutofit:
In fairness you should be commended for actually taking the time to write the powers that be but I don't agree with your request.

How much is a case of beer?

More money for resources and development of our fisheries from higher licensing fees would suit me fine.

No fair quoting posts made years ago. Didn't you ever say something stupid when you were young? LOL

pipco
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
No fair quoting posts made years ago. Didn't you ever say something stupid when you were young? LOL

Hah! More times than I'll ever remember or admit! I didn't realize the post was two years old. Heh, Heh.

stan

BeeGuy
03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Alberta should just increase the rates for BC residents to $100 yr. Keep the rest the same. Baring that create a catch and release licence...keep it the same price as it is now. Make a limited catch and kill licence $70 to help cover costs of hatcheries. Put all money collected towards fisheries.

How about make it $5000 for BC bureaucrats and $25.66 for all the other BC residents.

BeeGuy
03-01-2012, 02:04 PM

Ya, probably last week even, hell maybe 20min ago

jrs
03-01-2012, 02:26 PM

I like the non-resident increases. I still think the conservation licence step is a slippery one, its not like catch and release doesn't lead to fish mortality. Its a concept worth being discussed though. Id only want to see a $5 or $10 gap and more general changes in the stocking system (reduced limits to distribute catch). And, only increase revenue if it will actually benefit the resource!! Most of us will agree, thats definetly key!!!!

FishingFrenzy
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Maybe it should be like car insurance for new drivers... - if you take drivers ed, insurance is cheaper.

So, if you take a fishing license course you can buy a license for cheap, if you dont take the course, it costs more to buy a license.

waterninja
03-01-2012, 03:03 PM
i am surprised that some people would like to see an increase in fees for residents. suppose it might buy some bureaucrat a new office chair. i do support an increase in non-resident fees. when i fish in b.c. it is much more expensive and restrictive, especially the one day renewal requirement that can be a real pain in the smaller towns where you can't find a vendor.

Sundancefisher
03-01-2012, 03:08 PM
at least one US state has an automatic fishing licence cost of something like $5 put on every drivers licence. Therefore if you have a drivers licence...you defacto have a fishing licence.

If you want to opt out...you have to go downtown to specifically get a special license that does not allow you to fish.

Having everyone pay $5 is simple and raises more $$. Promotes outdoors activities. I believe the fee also gets you into the state parks.

Pudelpointer
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
ETA - just realized we are reading posts from a couple years back.

$6.30 for a Salmon Stamp

Dude, what are you talking about? Are you a Canadian resident or not?

Annual Tidal license is $21 plus $6 if you want to fish salmon in the chuk. $20 for a salmon stamp in freshwater.

OP

My wife and I go to the movies ONCE: 2 tickets, 1 popcorn and a pop = $35

For $26.50 I can fish ALL YEAR, 24/7.

Kids fish free in AB, so your family of four should actually only be $53 (2/3rds of a tank of gas in my truck).

If fishing is too expensive for people, I suggest they stay home and / or go to the public Library.

I agree that single day or 3 day licenses should be available.

I also like Manitoba's (I think it is MB? Could be ON) Conservation License; you can keep fish, just a lot fewer than a general license. I think you can keep 1 Walleye in areas where the General License limit is 3.

And, for the life of me, I can not figure out why Seniors (and youths) do not require a license in AB??? One of the most important data sets a fisheries manager has is how many people are fishing.

I don't care if a senior's license is free, as long as it is trackable. Everyone older then 6 should have WIN card and should have to "purchase" a license every year, even if there is no $ charge.

Fisheries management in AB has a lot of catching up to do. With contact info for every fisherman in AB there would be a wealth of information available for the asking. Computer surveys like SRD is using for hunters are very cost effective and easy to manage (compared to the old phone or mail surveys). We have all these bit*h-fests on here about "trophy lakes", C&R regulations, Pike limits, Walleye limits, Burbot limits, etc. It is quite simple to take a random sample of AB fishermen and do a survey asking a few questions..... IF you take that sample from ALL AB fishermen.

I would suspect that AB seniors make up a significant proportion of the fishing public in this province. How can we possibly make proactive decisions (or even adequate reactive decisions) if we have no clue how many people are even fishing?!?!!

Pudelpointer
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
How about make it $5000 for BC bureaucrats and $25.66 for all the other BC residents.

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!

In fact, I would like to see a checkpoint at the border: if you had anything to do with how NR Canadians are dealt with in BC you should get a size 11 cowboy boot shoved up your arse and sent back from where you came.

:mad0030:

waterninja
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner!

In fact, I would like to see a checkpoint at the border: if you had anything to do with how NR Canadians are dealt with in BC you should get a size 11 cowboy boot shoved up your arse and sent back from where you came.

:mad0030:
make that a size 13

HunterDave
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Increasing the cost of licensing in the hope to improve Alberta fisheries would not solve anything. F&W already generates revenue and makes more than it spends. The issue is about how that extra revenue is distributed.

In 2010/11 there were 247,630 adult anglers and 4,975 youth anglers in Alberta.

https://osi.alberta.ca/osi-content/Pages/Factsheets/NumberofABHuntersandAnglersinAlberta.aspx

The Fish and Wildlife Budget was $40,373,000 of which $36,418,000 was actually spent.
Revenues generated from Premiums, Fees and Licences was $114,187,000.

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/budget/budget2012/sustainable-resource-dev.pdf

I agree with people that have stated that the cost of a fishing license is cheap......for me. The word "cheap" is relative and what I feel as being cheap for me may not be for someone else (ie the fella that goes out a few times a year).

I don't feel that doubling or quadrupling the cost of a license is a good idea though. Last year the number of anglers decreased 18,144 (6.7%), which may be attributed to the cool wet spring and summer. If all that it takes is a bit of bad weather to stop people from buying their fishing licenses, what do you think would happen if you doubled or quadrupled the cost of one?

Rounding up the cost of a fishing license from $25.66 to $30 would generate an additional $1,074.727.20 and would be allot less dramatic. Even then, that small increase could potentially convince people that it's not worth buying a licence. F&W is making money so why would they want to risk it AND, where would the extra revenue go?

IMO I think that licencing fees are best left the way that they are. A better option would be for the people that say that they wouldn't mind paying extra in order to improve Alberta fisheries, is to take that extra money and donate it to a fishing club that is dedicated to improving fish habitat, etc.

I crunched the numbers very quickly so it may not be 100%. I've provided the links for whoever is interested in keeping me honest and analyzing it further. :)

HunterDave
03-01-2012, 04:55 PM
In addition to my last post.........You don't want to risk losing any of the money that tourism brings in by increasing non-resident fish licensing fees too high. :scared0018:

BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.
03-01-2012, 05:09 PM
good at the prices they are althought the add on of three day and c&r licence would be good+ the one year from date of purchase expirery is a pro.

Lazerloop
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
License costs should be increasing! 26 bucks is dirt cheap.. should be at least 100 bucks per person per year. With classified water like BC for extra!
More money and more enforcement!
Wanna play you have to pay.

packhuntr
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
You guys wouldnt even be having this argument if most guys werent so adamantly against knowlege and conservation. I have to wonder how many people know what the Ab fishers ed course used to look like? How many took it? Should it still be used? I say so, with some upgrades to get her up to speed. I bet some of the guys on here saying no to increased licensing costs, are some of the same guys arguing NO on another thread about wether we should have angler training of some sort or another, prior to license purchasing. Tough to assure fisheries for tommorow with that kind of a user base.

WayneChristie
03-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I somewhat agree and think $25 is cheap. An annual pass for your family isn't much more than a night out at the movies. What bothers me most is that there is no increase for non-residents (such as BC).

$6.30 for a Salmon Stamp

But.........for my brother who lives in BC to get an AB license it's............................$25.66?!?! :huh::huh::huh::huh:

you nailed it! Im an addict, I have to pay whatever they charge to fish, because its something Im not willing to give up for any reason. No reason we should get raped when we cross the BC border, while those coming to our province from others gets to pay the same price as the residents.

greylynx
03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
A fishing licence is cheap. Big Deal. What in the hexx do I see for it?

WayneChristie
03-01-2012, 05:57 PM
You guys wouldnt even be having this argument if most guys werent so adamantly against knowlege and conservation. I have to wonder how many people know what the Ab fishers ed course used to look like? How many took it? Should it still be used? I say so, with some upgrades to get her up to speed. I bet some of the guys on here saying no to increased licensing costs, are some of the same guys arguing NO on another thread about wether we should have angler training of some sort or another, prior to license purchasing. Tough to assure fisheries for tommorow with that kind of a user base.

second time in history Ive agreed with one of your posts. world must be coming to an end! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

avb3
03-01-2012, 06:10 PM

The Fish and Wildlife Budget was $40,373,000 of which $36,418,000 was actually spent.
Revenues generated from Premiums, Fees and Licences was $114,187,000.

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/budget/budget2012/sustainable-resource-dev.pdf

Your reading that wrong. The Revenue line item is for SRD, and most of that will come from stumpage fees. F&W in fact has never generated anything close to covering expenses.

Your also reading the expenditure line item incorrectly. The $36.418 M was actual for 2010-11, the $40.373M is budgeted for 2011-12 and is expected to be spent.

Don't forget that 2/3's of the money for each license goes to the ACA for fisheries enhancement, with only 1/3 going to the government.

So, even if you threw the ACA part in, there would not be enough to run F&W through the sale of hunting and fishing licenses... there never has been enough.

HunterDave
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Your reading that wrong. The Revenue line item is for SRD, and most of that will come from stumpage fees. F&W in fact has never generated anything close to covering expenses.

Your also reading the expenditure line item incorrectly. The $36.418 M was actual for 2010-11, the $40.373M is budgeted for 2011-12 and is expected to be spent.

Don't forget that 2/3's of the money for each license goes to the ACA for fisheries enhancement, with only 1/3 going to the government.

So, even if you threw the ACA part in, there would not be enough to run F&W through the sale of hunting and fishing licenses... there never has been enough.

I stand corrected. I didn't take near enough time to study the business plan. Taking the revenue portion for all of SRD was indeed a major mistake and throws everything out of wack. Thank you for the clarification.

Obviously, I need to rethink my position on this.

Lefty-Canuck
03-01-2012, 06:48 PM
If you want to C/R i have no problem with that, go ahead.

Instead of complaining about the fees just go fishing more. I don't see a reason to revamp the system because you don't think you are getting your money's worth. Go bowling, or skiing, or golfing, or whatever, it will be more than 25 dollars.

X2....I am really getting ripped off because I catch alot of fish and keep none....:)

I think placing a dollar "value" on individual fish you catch is hilarious....you pay to have a license so you can fish legally.

What we pay for a season in licenses is not very much....think of something else you can do for a year that costs less....that is half as much fun.

LC

Lefty-Canuck
03-01-2012, 06:50 PM

I also have to agree with what you say packhuntr......

LC

avb3
03-01-2012, 06:52 PM

Except what you don't understand, if the government raises license fees, it goes to general revenue with NO guarantee it will go to SRD.

Which was the whole reason behind the ACA in the first place, and that is, to isolate the government being able to spend fishing and hunting fees on roads or education or the government airplanes.

With the ACA you have a clear report on how (http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/publications/business-reports/) that money is spent

Not so much with government.

HunterDave
03-01-2012, 07:03 PM
This might make a few people happy. From the AFGA Resolution thread in the General section posted by Scar270.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=123905

FISHERIES RESOLUTION
BE IT RESOLVED THAT Alberta Fish and Game Association ask Alberta Sustainable Resource Development to increase the non-resident Canadian angling license fee to achieve parity with neighboring provinces; CARRIED

pelada trochu
03-01-2012, 10:17 PM
just heard that there are new changes this year.

so we will see if you get what you want.

licenses are now 365 day. (creates more revenue as the guy who goes ice fishing once and doesnt want to pay can justify he will go maybe one more time before it expires)

price went up to 33.75 (cover the changes to the licensing system software)

3 day license for 14.25

out of province is 33.75
out of country is 84.50

Fines went up to 375 no license, 500 minimum for poaching.

*** im kidding

Dark Horn
03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
I think the cost of a license is cheap compared to everything else in this world. No way in heck do I think it should be cut in half for anyone. I would even dare to say it could go up some provided the funds were reaching the right places. I would have to say that if you think it should be cut because it is too much and might make or break you then you probably shouldn't buy one at all. The idea of a three day is ok but if you can afford 13 bucks for one and all the costs involved with fishing then why not just buy one for the year. Maybe you will want to go another weekend and then what. Making it 365 from date of purchase is also a good idea.

michaelmicallef
03-01-2012, 11:37 PM
Everyone that is saying that the licence fees should be increased, remember one thing. When the price of gas goes up, tackle and everything else required to go fishing for the day goes up. The cost to go fishing is not only a few dollars more, but it's potentialy some noticable coin your shelling out. Do you people all live at home or do you just like to spend money. Don't get me wrong I love fishing and yes, the licience it's self is fairly inexpensive, but you need to spend more than a few bucks for a piece of paper to catch a fish. Do the math. The dollar for most families is getting streched way to far. Fishing licence fees need to stay cheep. Some of you might change your minds about increases to licences by this summer if gas hits $1.50/litre. How about bringing in PST too that would improve our quality of fishing? More taxes, That's just what we need.

Pudelpointer
03-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Michael, I think what people are saying is that an AB fishin license is a steal of a deal. To me it indicates that people value our fisheries, and that (as you point out) the cost of a license is such a small part of the overall cost of fishing, that to be complaining it or suggesting it be reduced is laughable.

A quick estimate, using last years season for me:
AB license 26.50
BC licenses 200.00
Gas (excluding vehicle expenses: maintenance, payments) +- 1500.00
Fishing gear (fly tying materials, lines, rods, etc.) $600.00 (avg over 3 years)
Food, lodging $500.00 (last year, usually less)

So let's say $2500 p/yr (and I only have a little oar powered pram - a lot of people have $5,000-50,000 boats, and trailers, etc.), so my license cost is roughly 1% of my fishing costs.

Compare that cost to hunting where I would estimate my licenses are %10 of my hunting costs.

I won't even mention golf, hockey, curling, photography, ocean cruises, blah, blah....

I think the biggest resistance to increasing fees on licenses is where that increased revenue would go? IF it were to go to improved management then the vast majority of people would happily support it, though some would not.

Seriously though, if a $10 increase in licensing is going to keep someone from fishing they have a lot more serious issues to deal with: maybe they should spend a little less time fishin and a lot more time working.

Lefty-Canuck
03-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Seriously though, if a $10 increase in licensing is going to keep someone from fishing they have a lot more serious issues to deal with: maybe they should spend a little less time fishin and a lot more time working.

X2.....It is hard to argue that logic....although someone here will :)

Its the same logic they use on other taxes and things like gas prices....we really have no choice. They add 20 cent a L to fuel costs....sure we cry and moan but it subsides quickly......remember back to the 26 cents a L of fuel days? I used to be able to fill up my first car from fumes to full on $12.00-$13.00......some here probably remember when they paid much less than that.

LC

darius
03-02-2012, 09:28 AM
government fees (taxs) go up because of whatever reason , yet we recieve less service over time based on those fees we pay ?

any one else notice this trend with government .

to think paying more for a licence is going to fix any thing is a joke , and the joke is on us since we foot the bill !

avb3
03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
If you really want more money actually going to fisheries, lobby the ACA to increase the levy.

Any money the government gets goes to general revenue, and can be used for any thing from operating government planes to putting a new rug into the Premier's office. It is very unlikely it would go to fisheries.

The genesis of the ACA was that exact reason... government would not guarantee that hunters and anglers fees would be used for wildlife or fisheries.

darius
03-02-2012, 10:09 AM
the ACA is just another level of gov't buerocracy

ivegonefishing
03-02-2012, 10:17 AM

$6.30 for a Salmon Stamp

I think the problem is the $106.50 for a salt water licence. If you are a Canadian Resident you are being overcharged! Sal****er fishing comes under a Federal licence and is the same for all Canadians.

Licence Fees for Canadian Residents

A Canadian Resident is an individuals who lives in Canada and holds identification with a Canadian address.

Licence Fee
2011 - 2012
Annual Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents: Senior $12.32
Annual Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents: Juvenile $0.00
Annual Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents: Adult $23.52
5 Day Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents $17.92
3 Day Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents $12.32
1 Day Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents $5.88
Top of Page

Licence Fees for Non-Canadian Residents

A Non-Canadian Resident is any individual who does not live in Canada.

Licence Fee
2011 - 2012
Annual Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents: Seniors $113.12
Annual Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents: Juvenile $0.00
Annual Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents: Adult $113.12
5 Day Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents $34.72
3 Day Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents $21.28
1 Day Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents $7.84

avb3
03-02-2012, 10:52 AM
the ACA is just another level of gov't buerocracy

Actually, no it is not.

The board consists of hunters and anglers, and they set the policy. Here are the member groups. (http://www.ab-conservation.com/go/default/index.cfm/about-us/member-groups/)

ericlin0122
03-02-2012, 11:08 AM
HEY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
this thread is 2 years old.
The guy posted this thread probably quite fishing or fish without a license anyway.
stop wasting time to discuss this old thread.

huntsfurfish
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
HEY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
this thread is 2 years old.
The guy posted this thread probably quite fishing or fish without a license anyway.
stop wasting time to discuss this old thread.

Never a waste of time discussing issues. However if you feel that way feel free not to participate.:)

huntsfurfish
03-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Michael, I think what people are saying is that an AB fishin license is a steal of a deal. To me it indicates that people value our fisheries, and that (as you point out) the cost of a license is such a small part of the overall cost of fishing, that to be complaining it or suggesting it be reduced is laughable.

A quick estimate, using last years season for me:
AB license 26.50
BC licenses 200.00
Gas (excluding vehicle expenses: maintenance, payments) +- 1500.00
Fishing gear (fly tying materials, lines, rods, etc.) $600.00 (avg over 3 years)
Food, lodging $500.00 (last year, usually less)

So let's say $2500 p/yr (and I only have a little oar powered pram - a lot of people have $5,000-50,000 boats, and trailers, etc.), so my license cost is roughly 1% of my fishing costs.

Compare that cost to hunting where I would estimate my licenses are %10 of my hunting costs.

I won't even mention golf, hockey, curling, photography, ocean cruises, blah, blah....

I think the biggest resistance to increasing fees on licenses is where that increased revenue would go? IF it were to go to improved management then the vast majority of people would happily support it, though some would not.

Well said, and agree with the bolded statement in particular. Would be nice to get govt to allow any increase in fees to go back to the resource.

avb3
03-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Well said, and agree with the bolded statement in particular. Would be nice to get govt to allow any increase in fees to go back to the resource.

That will never happen.

Back in the day when there was a "Wildlife Trust Fund" many of us were under the illusion that it really was a trust fund.

Then we found out it was a "designated fund", which meant, that money went into general revenues, and then, if the government deemed it to be so, designated towards wildlife and fisheries.

The ACA was established to ensure that funds hunters and anglers thought were to be used for enhancement of wildlife and fish actually went there. The government had threatened to take the $18 million dollar "trust fund" and use it to reduce the deficit.

As I said before, if you want to see increased funds going to fisheries, you need to lobby the ACA to increase levies.

I can just see the uproar that will create, right?

Pudelpointer
03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
This ought to get me black-listed by a few old timers, but I think the the current ACA is the best thing to happen to wildlife and fisheries in this Province. I know there were some issues with the ACA when it was first operating, but the ACA under Zimmerling is the best friend hunters and fisherman can have in AB.

Yes, there is some extra administration costs, but overall I think there is more money going directly into "on the ground" projects then there would be if the ACA was not around.

Flame away!

ryanheartssteelhead
03-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Just throwing this out there....
what if there was a "tax" or small percentage added on to Fishing/hunting related retail sales in Canada?? I talking a very small amount (1%+-)
Could help with some of the issues that some provinces are having enforcing/regulating/maintaing etc. And possibly drive down the non-resident cost for Canadians in other provinces. Just a thought

Dgirl
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Just throwing this out there....
what if there was a "tax" or small percentage added on to Fishing/hunting related retail sales in Canada?? I talking a very small amount (1%+-)
Could help with some of the issues that some provinces are having enforcing/regulating/maintaing etc. And possibly drive down the non-resident cost for Canadians in other provinces. Just a thought

With the amount of gear I leave embedded in logs/stumps/sticks etc. I'd prefer a flat fee increase on my license. *lol*

BeeGuy
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
We need to take into consideration the fact that a lot of people buying licenses only buy them to go fishing once.

They buy them so they can wet a line legally while on a canoe trip, camping etc

tacklerunner
03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
ETA - just realized we are reading posts from a couple years back.

Dude, what are you talking about? Are you a Canadian resident or not?

Annual Tidal license is $21 plus $6 if you want to fish salmon in the chuk. $20 for a salmon stamp in freshwater.

OP

My wife and I go to the movies ONCE: 2 tickets, 1 popcorn and a pop = $35

For $26.50 I can fish ALL YEAR, 24/7.

Kids fish free in AB, so your family of four should actually only be $53 (2/3rds of a tank of gas in my truck).

If fishing is too expensive for people, I suggest they stay home and / or go to the public Library.

I agree that single day or 3 day licenses should be available.

I also like Manitoba's (I think it is MB? Could be ON) Conservation License; you can keep fish, just a lot fewer than a general license. I think you can keep 1 Walleye in areas where the General License limit is 3.

And, for the life of me, I can not figure out why Seniors (and youths) do not require a license in AB??? One of the most important data sets a fisheries manager has is how many people are fishing.

I don't care if a senior's license is free, as long as it is trackable. Everyone older then 6 should have WIN card and should have to "purchase" a license every year, even if there is no $ charge.

Fisheries management in AB has a lot of catching up to do. With contact info for every fisherman in AB there would be a wealth of information available for the asking. Computer surveys like SRD is using for hunters are very cost effective and easy to manage (compared to the old phone or mail surveys). We have all these bit*h-fests on here about "trophy lakes", C&R regulations, Pike limits, Walleye limits, Burbot limits, etc. It is quite simple to take a random sample of AB fishermen and do a survey asking a few questions..... IF you take that sample from ALL AB fishermen.

I would suspect that AB seniors make up a significant proportion of the fishing public in this province. How can we possibly make proactive decisions (or even adequate reactive decisions) if we have no clue how many people are even fishing?!?!!

I think the problem is the $106.50 for a salt water licence. If you are a Canadian Resident you are being overcharged! Sal****er fishing comes under a Federal licence and is the same for all Canadians.

Licence Fees for Canadian Residents

A Canadian Resident is an individuals who lives in Canada and holds identification with a Canadian address.

Licence Fee
2011 - 2012
Annual Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents: Senior $12.32
Annual Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents: Juvenile $0.00
Annual Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents: Adult $23.52
5 Day Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents $17.92
3 Day Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents $12.32
1 Day Pacific Licence for Canadian Residents $5.88
Top of Page

Licence Fees for Non-Canadian Residents

A Non-Canadian Resident is any individual who does not live in Canada.

Licence Fee
2011 - 2012
Annual Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents: Seniors $113.12
Annual Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents: Juvenile $0.00
Annual Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents: Adult $113.12
5 Day Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents $34.72
3 Day Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents $21.28
1 Day Pacific Licence for Non-Canadian Residents $7.84

OK smart azzes. These are the 2010 BC fishing license fees when I made my post 2 years ago. I was an Alberta resident which is the same as a Non (BC) Resident. At the time I forgot to include Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon Tags (freshwater above Mission Bridge and Salt Water below the bridge on the Fraser).

As you can see, license fees have changed in BC since the recession.

Subject 12% HST

2010 BC Government Fresh Water License Fees
1 Day 8 Day Annual Salmon Tag Steelhead
BC Resident $10.00 $20.00 $36.00 $15.00 $25.00
Non Resident $20.00 $36.00 $55.00 $30.00 $60.00
Non Canadian $20.00 $50.00 $80.00 $30.00 $60.00

2010 BC Government Sturgeon Tags
1 Day 8 Day Annual
BC Resident $8.00 $15.00 $25.00
Non Resident/non CAD $15.00 $30.00 $60.00

2010 BC Government Salt Water License Fees
1 Day 3 Day 5 Day Annual
BC Resident $5.25 $11.00 $16.00 $21.00
Non Resident $7.00 $19.00 $31.00 $101.00

HunterDave
03-02-2012, 03:43 PM
X2.....It is hard to argue that logic....although someone here will :)

That would be me. :)

If I were to comment on increasing the cost of a fishing license purely from an emotional perspective and only thinking about myself and nothing else I'd say sure, I have no problem paying twice as much, or even 4 times the amount, for my fishing license. For me, I can afford it and it would be worth it to me.

Then the logical side of me thinks about the possible repercussions of doubling or quadrupling the price of a license. How many casual anglers would chose not to buy a fishing license because of such an increase? IMO there would be a significant number. So, I have to ask myself, how much farther ahead are you revenue wise if you double the cost but 50% fewer people buy fishing licenses? Worse yet, what if the increase caused a loss of revenue for F&W?

:thinking-006:

Bigger is not always better and in this case I think that a smaller increase, say from $25.66 to $30, could possibly be more beneficial than a larger dramatic one........or not. :)

HunterDave
03-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Information overload for me........How did they change and what's the bottom line?

Pudelpointer
03-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Tacklerunner, that information is not correct. Salt water (tidal) licenses are Federal and the same price for all Canadians.

The non-resident prices you list are for NR Alien, but they don't say alien because there is no such thing as a NR Canadian for Tidal angling licenses.

Have you fished the ocean?

ivegonefishing
03-02-2012, 05:45 PM
OK smart azzes. These are the 2010 BC fishing license fees when I made my post 2 years ago. I was an Alberta resident which is the same as a Non (BC) Resident. At the time I forgot to include Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon Tags (freshwater above Mission Bridge and Salt Water below the bridge on the Fraser).

Subject 12% HST

2010 BC Government Fresh Water License Fees
1 Day 8 Day Annual Salmon Tag Steelhead
BC Resident $10.00 $20.00 $36.00 $15.00 $25.00
Non Resident $20.00 $36.00 $55.00 $30.00 $60.00
Non Canadian $20.00 $50.00 $80.00 $30.00 $60.00

2010 BC Government Sturgeon Tags
1 Day 8 Day Annual
BC Resident $8.00 $15.00 $25.00
Non Resident/non CAD $15.00 $30.00 $60.00

2010 BC Government Salt Water License Fees
1 Day 3 Day 5 Day Annual
BC Resident $5.25 $11.00 $16.00 $21.00
Non Resident $7.00 $19.00 $31.00 $101.00

Tacklerunner, that information is not correct. Salt water (tidal) licenses are Federal and the same price for all Canadians.

The non-resident prices you list are for NR Alien, but they don't say alien because there is no such thing as a NR Canadian for Tidal angling licenses.

Wow, Tacklerunner please include all your tags etc. when trying to make a point otherwise you lose credibility very quickly. Try reading the posts; the BC Gov't does not charge you to fish in the saltchuck, the Fed's do!

Pudelpointer, they do have rates for NR Canadian Tidal Waters. There is no mention of 'Alien' as this is not PC.

Pudelpointer
03-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Pudelpointer, they do have rates for NR Canadian Tidal Waters. There is no mention of 'Alien' as this is not PC.

Sorry IGF, I am not sure if you are kidding - please insert smiley faces as appropriate. There are only two classes of Tidal License: Canadian Resident, Non-Resident (of Canada).

Sound off all you fisherman who have fished the west coast recently: how much were your licenses?

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/index-eng.htm

tacklerunner
03-03-2012, 05:03 AM

Lived in Nanaimo for 16 years. Fished the coast and Charlottes from Washington border to Alaska over 1000 days. I cut and paste those prices from a 2010 website. I second guessed myself and my post 2 years ago at first so had to look it up. I understand the difference between Federal and Provincial. Didn't mean to strike a nerve when I called you smart azzes. Just a generic term.

Pudelpointer
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
That website was wrong. "BC Resident" should have said Canadian Resident. All activity in tidal waters are the responsibility of the federal government.

If you go fishing there now it will cost you $23 plus stamps.

Cheers.

ivegonefishing
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
:)

Rosaire1
03-03-2012, 10:52 PM
IMO,

1) Raise the license fee and use the additional revenue to stock lakes

2) implement " no fish over xx cm" to spur the production of larger trophy fish in some lakes

3) stop all netting in all lakes, no one in alberta needs to pillage the lakes for sustenance living anymore this day and age. there are grocery stores everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.

leeaspell
03-04-2012, 09:50 AM
IMO,

1) Raise the license fee and use the additional revenue to stock lakes

2) implement " no fish over xx cm" to spur the production of larger trophy fish in some lakes

3) stop all netting in all lakes, no one in alberta needs to pillage the lakes for sustenance living anymore this day and age. there are grocery stores everywhere.

Just my 2 cents.

You didn't just open the native sustenance fishing can of worms did you? Lol

As for cost. I'm with a lot of other people, raise the cost. If you can't afford $100 a year to fish then don't fish, or maybe look at spending habits a little more. If I don't want to fish than i wont buy a license.

avb3
03-04-2012, 10:29 AM
For those that are advocating significant increases in fishing license fees, there is an option of donating to the ACA, who actually do the majority of the fisheries enhancement work in the province.

HunterDave
03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
For those that are advocating significant increases in fishing license fees, there is an option of donating to the ACA, who actually do the majority of the fisheries enhancement work in the province.

There ya go bringing logic to the discussion again avb3. :lol:

I don't know anything about the ACA but I'm going to find out thanks to you bringing it up.

I wonder how much money could be raised for the ACA if someone felt strongly enough about it to start a fundraiser on the fishing forum similar to what Ken does for the Stollery every year in the general section? I don't have allot of money but I could find $20 somewhere to donate to the cause.

Perhaps it's time for a new thread with a poll to find out what the interest is in donating to the ACA. I don't know anything about the ACA or I'd start the thread just to see what the level of interest is if nothing else.

fishpro
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
There ya go bringing logic to the discussion again avb3. :lol:

I don't know anything about the ACA but I'm going to find out thanks to you bringing it up.

I wonder how much money could be raised for the ACA if someone felt strongly enough about it to start a fundraiser on the fishing forum similar to what Ken does for the Stollery every year in the general section? I don't have allot of money but I could find $20 somewhere to donate to the cause.

Perhaps it's time for a new thread with a poll to find out what the interest is in donating to the ACA. I don't know anything about the ACA or I'd start the thread just to see what the level of interest is if nothing else.

I don't know much about them either, but I'm sure a fundraiser on here would be a great idea. Auctions work very well on the forums, we've done fundraisers on other forums where people donate stuff (flies, unofficial guided trips, etc.) and it's raised a lot of money. Something to consider anyway.

tallieho
03-04-2012, 02:33 PM
something that hasn't been mentioned is "user pays" in other words if you use no matter the age you should have to pay ..at least something..think of the extra revenue that could be brought into the fisheries,if everybody paid ..one thing that the gov't stats are always lacking info. in .is exactly how many people really are fishing out there.this user pays ,could anwser that...

HunterDave
03-04-2012, 02:50 PM
something that hasn't been mentioned is "user pays" in other words if you use no matter the age you should have to pay ..at least something..think of the extra revenue that could be brought into the fisheries,if everybody paid ..one thing that the gov't stats are always lacking info. in .is exactly how many people really are fishing out there.this user pays ,could anwser that...

They have this type of system in Germany. I'm not in favour of it at all because fishing becomes expensive and something that only people that are well off can enjoy.