PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your auger at the end of the season??

Linehaul
03-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Do most of you guys and gals just run it out of fuel and put it away for the season?

The Elkster
03-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I run fuel stabilizer in the last tank of the year and let that work its way through the system over a trip...but don't run it dry before i put it away. I don't think most people recommend running an engine dry as it then leaves it more prone to moisture/corrosion. I run a carb cleaner each spring. You dump stuff in the carb intake until the engine floods with the stuff. Leave it sit 15-20 minutes and then fire it back up again. You can also touch up the spark plug point with a light sandpaper to get rid of any carbon.

tacklerunner
03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
I hang it up in the garage and it starts on 3 pulls next year. But don't leave much gas in the tank. Did that last year and even had some old gas in the jerry can from last year I used. It stalled alot first 2 trips. Got new gas and has not been tempermental since. Biggest thing for me is to start the new year with new gas.

I know guys that run it dry after each day. This I don't get. :confused: Also some use fuel stabilizer & carb cleaner like Elkster. That can't hurt.

I drill maybe 150 holes a season and after 3 years I still haven't take the plug out. Just fresh gas helped me.

WayneChristie
03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
havent even finished my first tank yet, is the season over already?:cry:

hal53
03-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Apparently at my FIL's....cause he saw it in my truck and said ...":u don't use that" and took it home!!!!....like he's ice fished in 50 yrs.!!!!...oh well, wife said we can go and buy it back at the spring garage sale for $25.00:lol::lol:

honker_clonker
03-07-2010, 06:23 PM
My auger is over 27 years old and we have just been running it until it starts to sputter (out of gas) and then hitting the kill switch. From what I can tell it leaves a little coating of oil and/or gas on the inside and this is fine. Fill it up next season with fresh stuff and your ready to go. If you have any spare gas, lawn mower it or put it in a full tank of gas in your truck. Cover the powerhead with a bag or something and your set.

ianwuzhere
03-07-2010, 06:29 PM
pour fuel out of tank- then start it up and run the carb bowl out of fuel- or mix bit of fuel stabilizer in tank and run for lil bit till fuel is mixed in carb..