PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake Report

Pierce
03-08-2010, 10:50 AM
We hit Joussard on Saturday and the bite was off. We only managed to land a burbot and a pike. Saw a few walleye on the camera but they seemed relatively disinterested with the minnow.
Anyone else have better luck or has fishing out there just been slow?

gpguy7
03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
there was a group of us out there from fri to sunday, rented cabins. fishing wasn't on fire but it wasn't bad. some of the boys travelled off towards the cutbank and got into some decent fish. i landed 3 at the cabin all within an hour right before dark, all 'eyes. I lost 2 earlier in the day so when the 3rd one come out of the hole and i watched my line snap i went right in up to my shoulder after her and pulled her out by the ears! definately limited out between the 7 of us on walleyes. caught a few perch, and they were hogs. the 5 of them were all over 13 inches. had one burb, 2 whites and a couple northerns as well. but during the day she was real slow, only in the evening did we hit anything. this was at joussard as well.

edmontonfishing
03-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Are there any good spots close to the slave lake town? I guess we can find more accommodations there. Considering there are lots of hot spot in the summer. Why nobody is fishing on the hard water season around town?

fishhawk1850
03-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Me and the wife and kids were at Canyon Creek this weekend, we managed to take home 6 Walleyes , 1 13lb Pike and 6 Lings . Fishhawk

alpikes
03-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Just wondering if it is fishable now at the pier (below HW88) on Slave Lake River. Had fun there in the summer never went there in the winter.

Thanks

crown royal 17
03-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Hello edmontonfishing ,in town we go out to Dog Island north west side catch Pike , Burbut , Walleye and Perch.
Hello alpikes have seen a couple of people fishing at wier last week .I would believe that you can catch fish there this time of year.Have also noticed birds there too.

firegod74
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Just wondering if it is fishable now at the pier (below HW88) on Slave Lake River. Had fun there in the summer never went there in the winter.

Thanks

That whole section of the river is open, so its fishable, but I haven't talked to anybody that has tried it.

I went to Canyon for a couple hours and caught one walleye. My own fault, I used some old minnows trying to get rid of them and as soon as I switched to new ones I caught one right away. To get onto the lake you had to drive through quite a bit of water. The ice was fine but it made me nervous.
I sure hope we get a cold snap so the ice holds up till the end of the month so I can get the shack off.

pike1
03-15-2010, 07:49 PM
there was a group of us out there from fri to sunday, rented cabins. fishing wasn't on fire but it wasn't bad. some of the boys travelled off towards the cutbank and got into some decent fish. i landed 3 at the cabin all within an hour right before dark, all 'eyes. I lost 2 earlier in the day so when the 3rd one come out of the hole and i watched my line snap i went right in up to my shoulder after her and pulled her out by the ears! definately limited out between the 7 of us on walleyes. caught a few perch, and they were hogs. the 5 of them were all over 13 inches. had one burb, 2 whites and a couple northerns as well. but during the day she was real slow, only in the evening did we hit anything. this was at joussard as well.
can you share what worked best...we are headed to Joussard on Wednesday...jig..color...minnow???? if you care to share that would be great...Thanks, PIKE!

Marlin07
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I'm headed up to Joussard on Thursday, small minnows, 4lb fluorocarbon and small whistler jigs. Don't forget to charge the flasher!

BrownBear416
03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Plus 10 for a few weeks now and plus 14 today so be careful out there.

We fished Kinuso this weekend and caught a pile of walleye..

Mostly used a yellow jig head and minnow and bounced bottom..

pike1
03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
awesome and thanks...we will try it all...

Marlin07
03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
Packing my gear to head up as we speak, was out on Gull today pulling of my shack and was surprised how good of shape the ice was in. The water is another story, milky.

skidderman
03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Fished Kinuso this past weekend. Bite was on and off. Certainly no trouble getting a limit. Friday was good, Sat so so and Sunday had a few on but lost them with the barbless hooks. Used a diagonal jig that Wholesale Sports sells that has two hooks, one behind the other. Lime green and red seemed to work best as keeping the minnows on is the secret. Some guys wire their minnows on but I couldn't be bothered. Would like to try the berkly gulp but I need to gulp when I look at the price. Also caught a couple burbs and one pike. If a person is prepared to move around and try different depths I believe those people did better. Anywhere around the multiple shacks is a good bet. Take an auger extension as I certainly needed mine.

Marlin07
03-17-2010, 10:51 AM
A trick we use to keep our minnows on is to brine them in "bite and brine" ment for salt water trolling, it really toughens them up. They last all weekend in the warm shack as well.....