PDA

View Full Version : What's with Gull?

burbotman14
03-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Was out there on Saturday and Sunday and did not catch much. Caught two burbot and 4 pike. My only question is what is the deal with the burbot and whitefish. Last year at this time every burbot you would see on the camera would take the lure. During the weekend I saw about 50 but most would just swim by or if I jigged it just a littlle the wrong way they would turn and go. Talked to a handful of people and no one was catching much. On Sunday I probably saw 4 fish on the ice between 20 trucks. Has anyone else been experiencing this lack of fish willingness to bight? Maybe the spawn is a little later this year.

kinwahkly
03-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I wa there sUNDAY also, started on the south end and caught 3 smaller jacks then moved to the north side on the west side and got some perch, I was hoping for some burbot but I think I was on the wrong side, I have heard to fish the east side for Ling, but Im not sure.

seahawkfisher
03-08-2010, 06:29 PM
waas fishing what i think would be the nortwest corner? of the lake on sunday; saw about 6 BIG whites that were totally uninterested, no burbs. caught a couple hammerhandles along with one 12+ lber that went back and 3 10" perch that made for a nice dinner today.
great day to be out but the fishing has been a bit slow this year; maybe its "fished out" ...
cheers

buckmasterjr
03-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Was there yesterday and caught 1 pike and a few perch.

Safety D
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Ya its pretty dead there. 8 years ago couldnt keep the whites off. The good ole days !!!!!

BEL
03-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Last Tuesday I got my limit on whites. Since then I have caught 1 white, 1 burb and today 1 pike. Have been out there 4 times since last Tuesday. I don't think the burbot spawn has really got going. BEL

riderpride55
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I was out there on Saturday, there were PILES of ling and whites on the camera ALL DAY, no pike or perch. the whites were feeding on the bottom. they wanted NOTHING to do with ANY hook we threw at them. we took home 8 ling and 4 whites. very frustrating day. we were literally on top of the fish all day and no action. maybe the fish are getting smarter????

DaveFish
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
We were there sat, my brothers gf lost one white, and I caught a 70cm skinny shark. Only saw pike on the camera, no ling/whites.

burbotman14
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Well I think it is because the spawn is going to be later this year. Filleted the burbot and it had eggs but the eggs were still fairly solidly attached to the lining. The other one we caught may have been feeding because the eggs were not developed, just two sacks of mush with a few eggs. It seems the whitefish have not come in yet like usual and like stated before they were only interested in the stuff on bottom. I know it is not over fished because like I said I probably saw 40 burbot on the camera.

RedFisher
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Well im going tomorro so i'll post how it went... hopefully we'll tie into some nice burbs...

burbotman14
03-09-2010, 09:40 PM
If you could, I was wondering if you give a report, can you give a report on how the burbs are reacting to the lure. On the weekend they were very skiddish and most were not even interested. If you do not have a camera and you only see five or so that may not mean you are in a spot with small amounts of fish, when I was there about 75% did not even swim by the lure and you would not have been able to see them if you were looking down the hole. Anyways, Good Luck. Also if you could, send a report on the access of the lake, the one by Brownlows is getting a little rutty.

RedFisher
03-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Yah ive got my fishtv and my video camera so im going to take a video of them and post the link on here... hopefully i get a few ... my belly's craving lobster.. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: