PDA

View Full Version : Baitcast reel? Brand/model#s

DeanP
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
I plan on buying a baitcast reel this spring and I am looking for brand names/model #s I should be looking out for. I plan on spending about $150.
So if you have any experience on a certain brand/model, please let me know...

I also am planning on getting a rod too. I don't where to start for that though. I'll be using this set-up for pike and lake trout: casting and trolling.
So if you have any brand names/model#s for these, please inform.

Thanks. :)

Kingfisher
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Abu Garcia is a good one. 6500 C3 is a good one. I've got three of them and they are great. Lots of parts around too in case anything breaks.

Rob

DeanP
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Abu Garcia 6500 C3; I guess its the"Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® C3 Series".

How's it for setting the backlash? For the "no birdnest".

Teamprotz
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Do you want round style or low profile ? Quantum Energy or Tour reels are an excellent choice. You can pick up the energy reels for around $100 on ebay. For trout I use a Shimano Calais and dad likes his Daiwa Millionaire. He has several SHimano Chronarch reels for walleye. Low profile are easier to hold and usually have good bearing count , but depending on line size , may not hold as much as a round reel.

honker_clonker
03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I have a Quantum Cabo 30 wide model. It holds over 300 yards of 30lb braid and has handled everything I have encountered so far. I use it for pike/big lure fishing and its great. If you are going to be casting with it alot I would recommend going with a low profile reel like the Cabo. I have it matched with a 8'6'' Clarus and it is awesome for big baits. I've thrown the biggest size Rapala Salt water magnums with this combo all day and it is comfortable. Not great for casting light baits into the wind but with the heavy lures you can bomb all day with minimal worries of backlash.

DeanP
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Yesh! Teamprotz, those are kinda out of my price range, though I bet they work good!

Mudslide
03-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Check out the new Bass Pro flier, they have a huge sale starting Fri with an old reel trade in program on top of the sale prices. Any old piece of junk reel will do as a trade in and it looks like at the price you are looking at you would get 25$ off. I don't know if Wholesale and the FH will match prices but it never hurts to ask.

Commander B
03-08-2010, 11:20 PM
As far as rod a med price gem is a 9 foot Fenwick Canadian Methods. Lots of cork for heavin a little heavier lure and the legnth and backbone is an allright compromise on the trolling front. (doubles nice as a deep water jiggger if you put on a decent zinger/buzz bomb) And low profile reel is a must for active casting IMO.:)

Teamprotz
03-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Fishin hole sale starts in Edmonton on the 26th. Been some good prices there.

pdfish
03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Abu Garcia 6500 C3; I guess its the"Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® C3 Series".

How's it for setting the backlash? For the "no birdnest".

the 6500 is a great reel for the price. As for the backlash, you just have to dial the knob in on the side depending on how heavy the gear that you are chucking is. You'll probably want to use your thumb to control it anyway.

jinx
03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
my first baitcast was a Shimano got it 11 years ago and still love it i got a Quantum last year didn't get to use it too much but i like it. cant remember the models off hand but both would have been about $100

As for backlash it take a little messing around to get it figured out

DeanP
03-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I kinda did some on-line research: I've selected a Shimano, a Abu Garcia and Pfluegan(spelling?). I don't have the model #s in front of me as they are at work! Ha! Ha! ( I was busy during coffee: wink, wink)
They are all in the $150ish price range. I really won't know until I get to hold them in my hands...

DeanP
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
:wave:I want to thank everyone so far for the input; it got me to do some researching myself! It seems that all brands have their models ranging from inexpensive to outrageous!
I'll select the in-between.:)

DeanP
03-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Well, I got a good deal on a Quantum Accurist AC501PT; $57 shipped. :)My buddy has this reel and really likes it! I couldn't lose on the price!

I'm heading to Edmonton on Wednesday and will check out the Fishin' Hole for a new rod.

Teamprotz
03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Think the big sale at Mayfield common starts Friday the 26th?

DeanP
03-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Think the big sale at Mayfield common starts Friday the 26th?

I have to go to Edmonton for a med appt, so maybe I could get a deal on Wednesday...

The reel I got goes for $150 at the Fishin' Hole.:wave:

Teamprotz
03-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I hear what you're saying !!!

javlin101
03-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Well, I got a good deal on a Quantum Accurist AC501PT; $57 shipped. :)My buddy has this reel and really likes it! I couldn't lose on the price!

I'm heading to Edmonton on Wednesday and will check out the Fishin' Hole for a new rod.

I picked up a Quantum Accurist PT AC501PT Left Hand Baitcast Reel on Ebay for $63.00 cnd delivered. There are some great deals on Ebay right now you should check it out.

Gonna put Power Pro 20lb on it, can't wait to try it out this spring

DeanP
03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I picked up a Quantum Accurist PT AC501PT Left Hand Baitcast Reel on Ebay for $63.00 cnd delivered.

That's where I got mine also! I'm right handed, but I retrieve with either hand, so I got this reel in a lefty version.

I'm going to try Sufix Performance Braid; it got a good review at www.tackletour.com.

I'm going to check out the Shimano Compre rod when I go into Edmonton Wednesday.

javlin101
03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
That's where I got mine also! I'm right handed, but I retrieve with either hand, so I got this reel in a lefty version.

I'm going to try Sufix Performance Braid; it got a good review at www.tackletour.com.

I'm going to check out the Shimano Compre rod when I go into Edmonton Wednesday.

Ya I also picked up a Quantum Kinetic® PTi-A Spin Reel for $70.00 off Ebay for my 9ft Berkley rod. You could spend alot of cash on Ebay right now, man I gotta stay off there.

I have been reading up on briaded line & it seems a lot of guys are still pretty happy with the Power Pro so will try that for the Baitcaster. I have a cheap one from CT I bought 3 years ago but got frustrated with it bird nesting on me so gave up. Hopefully these Quantum will work a lot better. Geez I getting pumped to get out come May long.

cannonc
03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
The Fishin Hole Sale starts on thursday mar 25th @500pm. Mayfield Common

DeanP
03-23-2010, 08:29 PM
The Fishin Hole Sale starts on thursday mar 25th @500pm. Mayfield Common

Too bad my appt is tomorrow, maybe they'll budged tomorrow seeing as I'm from out of town...:)
I'm going to look at two sticks:

Quantum TOUR EDITION PT BAITCAST RODS
PTC706F $139.95

Shimano COMPRE BAITCAST ROD
CPC70MHB $139.95

I will be coming home with one of them anyways!:)
I'm going to be looking at the Power Pro line as well and compare it to the Berkley Fireline Tracer Braid.
Looking at getting some fluorocarbon #50 leader line too. And maybe a new tackle box as I have three small ones now!

curtis_rak
03-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I have Team Daiwa Procaster ROJO and Shimano Citica 200D. Both are in that price range and both have served me well.

I use the same 20lb Spiderwire Invisibraid on both, and I prefer the feel of the Daiwa. It seems to operate smoother that the Citica and both were bought almost at the same time.

I switched to 20lb Berkely Tracebraid this year, so will be interesting to see how that works out.

javlin101
04-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Well I got my setup done for this year

Quantum Accurist AC501FT Baitcaster
Berkley Lightning 7'6" MH rod
30lb Briaded line

Couple practise casts in the back yard & wow love it. Just need to get use to casting with my right hand.

Look out lunkers here I come this summer :D

DeanP
04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
I settled on a 6'6" Shimano Clarus. The guys at the Fishin' Hole were very knowledgeable and only gave me the info. I decided on the rod from what they told and showed about each rod I initially selected.
While I was in Florida last week I picked up a roll of Sufix Performance Braid #20.
Now I'm waiting for the snow to go so I can try out my casting with the baitcaster!

TexasTornado
04-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Shimano Corvalus is a good entry level round baitcaster

javlin101
04-14-2010, 08:07 AM
I settled on a 6'6" Shimano Clarus. The guys at the Fishin' Hole were very knowledgeable and only gave me the info. I decided on the rod from what they told and showed about each rod I initially selected.
While I was in Florida last week I picked up a roll of Sufix Performance Braid #20.
Now I'm waiting for the snow to go so I can try out my casting with the baitcaster!

Nice, I choose the Berkley 7'6" MH so I can use it for lake trout in Cold Lake this summer & maybe a lunker or two. I have a very old (20yrs) Berkley 7' C30 light for my spining reel & is my favourite rod. It is so sensitive I can feel the fish fart near my lure. I tried my baitcasting setup with a 1-1/2oz weight & it works great. I picked up 500 yards of woodstock 30lb braid for $26.00 delivered & it spooled up nicely & casts very smooth.

Now the wait till May 21st:mad:

LacLaBicheNS
04-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Abu Garcia is a good one. 6500 C3 is a good one. I've got three of them and they are great. Lots of parts around too in case anything breaks.

Rob

I agree. I've used baitcasters for over 15 years and abu garcia is my choice.

My current pike rod is the reel mentioned above on a 7 foot MH trigger stick.

I wish I had gone with a 7'6" H rod though. Its hard to cast those big spoons and plugs with a shorter MH rod.