PDA

View Full Version : Fly Line: Figuring out What is What

DarkAisling
03-09-2010, 07:25 AM
I've got some reels spooled up with fly line, and I don't remember what is what any more when it comes to the 5wt stuff. I know that I've got a reel with floating line on it, but I'm not sure what one it is, or what the other two are. :o

Can I test them in the bathtub to see how they behave?

tacklerunner
03-09-2010, 09:05 AM
I think you can but you're going to have to let out sections of line to see how it reacts. Maybe let out 10 feet at a time and see what happens. Even the floating line will be tapered for up to 20 feet. Or you might have sinking line on one where only a certain length at the end will actually sink.

Sounds like a pain in the arse but definitely worth the try. Pretty pricey to have to replace a good fly line.

Better yet, sneak away and test them by throwing a nymph at some bows in the river. ;)

DarkAisling
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Better yet, sneak away and test them by throwing a nymph at some bows in the river. ;)

I could do that . . . but our schedules have just gone down the toilet :( I think the largest body of water I'm going to get close to in the next couple of weeks is the bathtub. :cry:

And, it isn't even a big bathtub.

BowhuntAB
03-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Thats a bit of a tricky one. The weight of a fly line is based on the grain weight of the first 30 ft of line. The tolerence is usually between 134-146 grains with 140 being the standard for a 5 Wt.

Gerry
03-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Are they color coded??
I know the 3 that I have are.
If they are just call the fishin hole and ask them.
Just a thought but it might help.

BowhuntAB
03-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Are they color coded??
I know the 3 that I have are.
If they are just call the fishin hole and ask them.
Just a thought but it might help.

Nah...you can get them in all types of color. Lines don't have special colors. Its all preferance. Most brands give you a choice but all the weights are usually the same color though there are exceptions.

bloom
03-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Here's a generalization:
Your floating line will be light in colour. ie light orange, light yellow, or maybe even a tan colour.

The sinking line will be dark in colour. Usually a dark blue or green. The darker, usually the heavier sink.

fishstix
03-09-2010, 06:34 PM
usually when you get a reel spooled, the spooler will stick a sticker with the line type on it.
FS..

BowhuntAB
03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Here's a generalization:
Your floating line will be light in colour. ie light orange, light yellow, or maybe even a tan colour.

The sinking line will be dark in colour. Usually a dark blue or green. The darker, usually the heavier sink.

Yep but it won't help you figure out the weight. Unfortunatly.:)