PDA

View Full Version : Coal Lake

Hooker
03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
We decided to try Coal Lake (by Wetaskiwin) on Monday. A person has to stay to the trails even with a 4X4. We went exploring and it didn't take us long to drop through the crust and get stuck. Fortunately a good shovel got us out quickly. We set up at one of my favorite spots where I had a lot of luck two years ago in the boat and immediately started seeing Pike. My son-in-law caught three in the first hour & a half and I lost two. We finally settled for 4 caught & 3 released. 4 lost and 6 sighted. The only way I caught the keeper was to drop the spoon on its nose. It struck out of anger and that cost him. There were a couple of pick females around that would have gone 7-8 lbs. but they weren't interested in anything we had to offer.

The wind was really blowing but we had the shelter of the truck and three tie-downs on the tent kept everything stable. We were on the south end and there were only two other vehicles on the ice with us. I have to say that if there isn't a real heavy wet snowfall this month with a lot of run off then there will not be a lot of boats on the lake this year. There will be no way a person will be able to use any of the boat launches. The only fishing will be done from an inflateable, a car topper or a canoe.

Oh, well the boat launches down south and up north should be accessible. Everyone start watching the ice in this warm weather!!! :)

cribfisher
03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
They were going to rebuild the north boat ramp as soon as the ice comes off.That is if the federal permits they applied for last june and were waiting on all summer arrived yet.

Hooker
03-09-2010, 09:05 PM
It would be nice to have that north ramp fixed but the water level has to come up at least 6 feet for any of the ramps to be of use.

BH1
03-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Just curious how bad was the ice/snow pack was, because i only have a Colorado. It does have 4x4 but not very good tires, would it be best just to go for the long walk with my particular set of wheels?
THx bh1

Hooker
03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
The snow pack is starting to break down and ruts are forming on the packed trails. Monday was our last trip for the year.

curteck
03-10-2010, 07:27 AM
I am going out this AM takin out the shack and doin a little fishin will post updates on ice and snow pack later

mountain_man
03-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Is the ice still safe to drive on. I was thinking of going on Saturday :confused:

Hooker
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM
The ice is still solid but the snow on the surface is starting to make driving a bit difficult. If you stay to the main trails and out of the ruts you shouldn't have a problem. That might not hold true in a week.

curteck
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
just as hooker said as long as your out of the ruts it should be all good but who knows in 3 days. did manage a dozen on the ice 4 of which were keepers but all went back great fun with my 4 year old

jeffrey929
03-10-2010, 08:55 PM
The area around the North boat lauch is becoming a bit difficult... Not sure what it's like on the south end

BH1
03-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Alright thx guys the posts are greatly appreciated.