PDA

View Full Version : Newell lake walleye help?

cujo1969
03-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Going try newell tom for walleye see ccan fill a tag. Can anyone give some tips where to fish? Havent iced fish there very much. Hope the ice is still good.

nicemustang
03-10-2010, 11:13 AM
X2!

I do know the ice is good.

ULTRAlite
03-10-2010, 11:32 AM
never ice fished there, but in the summer we have much better luck at the north end... and they really seem to love worms there ?!?

CanadianEh
03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
I spent last weekend there... it was unreal fishing action!!

between 6 of us we caught a slightly larger then small pike which measured in at 18". We fished 3 or 4 different spots. all in the 20-35 FOW range. I would presume the fish are moving up, or have already moved up to the shallows 5-15 FOW.

Good luck man... Mustang and I both are looking for good tips for spots on newell for late ice wallys... Tags to fill. :confused:

P.S. Ice was still 28+ inches anywhere we drilled holes. but on a nice day it was getting alittle damp with puddles on the surface.

WayneChristie
03-11-2010, 06:03 AM
I spent last weekend there... it was unreal fishing action!!

between 6 of us we caught a slightly larger then small pike which measured in at 18". We fished 3 or 4 different spots. all in the 20-35 FOW range. I would presume the fish are moving up, or have already moved up to the shallows 5-15 FOW.

Good luck man... Mustang and I both are looking for good tips for spots on newell for late ice wallys... Tags to fill. :confused:

P.S. Ice was still 28+ inches anywhere we drilled holes. but on a nice day it was getting alittle damp with puddles on the surface.

you would probably have better pike luck a lot shallower right now. I iced 8 Tuesday and I was fishing 4 feet of water.

rustynailz
03-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Newell fished really well for pike last weekend in 4-8', but I haven't managed to fill my walleye tags yet either. That lake has some of the most delicious pike I've ever eaten. The small ones have flesh that's almost orange.

We got one fat walleye right to the hole a few weeks back at Greenwall in about 8' of water first thing in the morning. Nearly all the locals I talked to suggested that Kinbrook would be a good spot for walleyes in 20-30 FOW on the deep side of the drops.

I think a guy probably needs to concentrate on the first and last light to get them. We had a riot down in Montana a couple weeks back fishing the 'eyes all night. As soon as it got fully light again we stopped getting them.

nicemustang
03-11-2010, 08:10 AM
During the day - 20-30 FOW works. At night 5-15 FOW max. That's my rule usually.

ELKOHOLICS
03-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Went two weeks ago stay in the shallows ,gentle bites, thick ice

good luck

Couleestalker
03-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Got these thursday evening. 5lbs 9oz & 5lbs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/nate_font/Newell002.jpg

nicemustang
03-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Nice! I haven't had a problem with the big ones....our problem is we have class B and can't catch them in the slot.

Wes_G
03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
I am gonna hit Newell sunday for a half day pike and probably a half day walleye fishing. I have never fished out on this lake before so any location tips would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get the lady her first walleye ever.. so your really helping her out more then me...