PDA

View Full Version : Is that time of year...what are you going to do with all your whitefis?? Here's some recipes to try.

nicemustang
03-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Hello AOF fishers,

Since there isn't any recipes forum or sticky...I guess we have to start our own threads. I wanted to share a couple of family recipes. Back in my home lake in SK, as residents of the town we net whitefish every year. This year was a little slower than normal, but the size of the fish was way up. All in all, about the same amount of KG. With the ice coming on the lake so late we had to postpone a weekend (dec 20) and that might have messed it up. We usually get 80-100 whitefish per net, we set the nets 2 nights, 2 nets per household.

So I have a lot of whitefish through the season in the freezer to use. And yes I am minding my AB possession limit. I have 2 recipes to share.

1. Smoked whitefish.
- fresh off the lake we fillet up as much as possible. we usually fillet and de-bone, pack 1 fish in vacuum packer sealer bag.
- thaw fish
- rub in soy sauce so it's just covered nicely
- sprinkle fillet with brown sugar, rub that in evenly
- heavy salt fillet, this helps brining process. I use enough that you can see it on there.
- add seasonings to taste with a generous sprinkle of:
* pepper
* lemon pepper
* garlic powder
* all spice
- if you want a little differnt flavor, spinkle lightly with cayanne pepper and montreal steak spice

I smoke in a burning barrel (with lid). I get a hot fire going then snuff it out, trying to keep the temperature around 250-300 degrees. I use a cedar base fire with black diamond willow. Willow is a real nice smoke, also apple wood is good too. Cook about 45 minute or until its flakey (not to dry). Cover with in foil for 5 minutes and serve. We like it with fettucini alfredo.

2. Pickeled fish

Many of you might not have had the pleasure of pickeled whitefish, many are probably gagging right now. But it's honestly VERY good...but it might be one of those aquired tastes.

- cut de-boned fish into small chunks
- put fish in salt water brine strong enough to float an egg (about 2 heaping tbsp per cup of water)
- Soak fish for 48 hours (in fridge)
- Rinse off fish, pack in jars with chopped rounds of white onions (about a 1/4 cup of onions per jar).

Brine:
- 4 cups vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup pickling spice (tie this in a cheese cloth)
- 1 cup of St David's white wine (I'm sure any white wine would do)

Boil vinegar, sugar and pickling spice for 5 minutes. Let cool. Add wine. Pour over fish. Leave 3 days before eating. Keep refridgerated.

Let me know if anyone tries these.

Anybody else have one to try?

WayneChristie
03-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Have you ever tried the pickle recipe with pike?

calgarygringo
03-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Not my fav, but the wife and her mother and grandmother have been pickling pike for years. I am not a big fan but the ladies devour them like no tomorrow. If you need a recipe and would like to try I can get the boss on the board and explain the process. My FIL mother has been doing them for years when they grew up around the Hat.

nicemustang
03-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Pike/whitefish...pretty much the same to me for meat texture and taste. So yeah for sure!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I dont like fish cooked other then BBQd Smoked or in a frying pan baked is pretty good too .

I dont follow no recipe , I put what I think would be good in there . Like my brine , I add some JD and Lime . Makes the meat very tender .

And as for BBQd gotta cut em into steaks . kinda hard to do with a whitefish though

fryin pan , fillet them add salt and peper a little Garlic and your set

And baked I like To add garlic butter and green onion and bake it .

ice
03-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Cutt up pike/white fillets.
Batterd With salt and Vinegar chips.
And Deep Fried.
The Best.

Fishfinder
03-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Cutt up pike/white fillets.
Batterd With salt and Vinegar chips.
And Deep Fried.
The Best.

X2!
Dill pickle is great too!:love:

nicemustang
03-11-2010, 11:10 AM
I rarely deep fry fish but maybe that is something to try. How would one make a batter with chips?

Fishfinder
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I rarely deep fry fish but maybe that is something to try. How would one make a batter with chips?

Personally i jus make a simple light batter with water, flour, n whatever spices i have while camping (usually only eat fish then- hence how i discovered the chips haha). The chips i crush up and use as breading. Pan fry in lotsa oil. (close enuff to deep frying:ashamed:)Sometimes i double batter/bread them. Yummy. Have tried Dill Pic and Sour Cream n Onion so far on pike. Both were great as a quick tasty treat with minimal effort.
I'm guessing ur recipes are much tastier with that much effort and ingredients put into them. Sounds yummy yummy, may have to try out that smoked recipe for sure.....if i could ever catch a whitefish. :lol::lol:

calgarygringo
03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Batter your fish.
We do allkind of different fish this way and works well.
Take a cup or 2 of Aunt Jemima or equivalent pancake mix. If 2 cups pour in your favorite can of beer, crack in an egg to make a thin batter. Dip your fish in peices and drop into deep fryer until golden brown. Take your spuds and cut them into fries and do the same. Makes for an awesome meal and tastes damn good........