PDA

View Full Version : recoomend me a braided line for my bait caster I use for big jack

LacLaBicheNS
03-11-2010, 12:07 PM
I have a rod I use just for big jack. 7foot H rod with a big abu garcia bait caster.

I have always use fireline 20lbs test, but I want to try something new.

Fire line cons
-the line fray's and discolours.
- the line on the reel will "dig into" the rest of the line on the spool when I have a big fish on. Basically the line that is on the spool that is cloestest to the lure will dig into the line on the rest of the spool when I have a big fish on. So after I get the fish off and resume casting I get a back lash because the line isn't laying on the spool properly.

any suggestions for a braid that might help these problems?

Tinman
03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Power pro I used it all last yesr with out a leader only a snap swivel and it is great. My rig I used it on is a Abu bait caster and a 8' rod. It work great and will continue to use it.

Tinman

Joe Fehr
03-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Power pro is good line. One of the best tips is to have your reel spooled at the shop on the machine as it gets it tighter and helps with the line digging in.

tallieho
03-11-2010, 01:15 PM
c-tire has a sale on there braidd spidrwire 2pks for 9.99 15-30lbs available

chuck0039
03-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I use power pro on my abu bait caster. Do you use 10 to 15 feet of mono on the spool first then the fire line or power pro? If not then that might be the reason you are having problem with the line digging into the spool.

Marlin07
03-11-2010, 01:48 PM
I have power pro on my bait casters, rounder profile than fireline . Works for me

JohninAB
03-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Power Pro here as well and if using for big pike, up the poundage to 50 lb or better in a braid. Larger diameter and may help with the digging in.

Mike_W
03-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Never used it but there is a new line out Suffix maybe check that out

Beazer
03-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Power Pro as others have said, but I'm going to give Sufix a try this year. Maybe in the summer.

Mudslide
03-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Power Pro, Suffix, Tuff Line, Stren, they're all made of the same material and they're all good. A good tip is to use the diameter of braid that the reel is rated for. In other words a reel that is rated for 12 to 16 LB diameter mono will perform optimally with 50 to 65 LB Braid. If spool capacity is an issue you could go lighter but you will get less wind wraps and better overall performance with the heavier line. Use fluorocarbon leaders tied directly with a double Uni Knot and you have a great setup.

Wes_G
03-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Hate super braids, all of them actually. Dont hold knots, cant cut it but breaks when you dont want it to, , it frays. Never had a super lines I liked yet. I use 45 lb Cortland Pike/musky line on my baitcaster, large diameter but who cares, at least it fills the spool and is easy to pick out backlashes if they happen and doesnt dig in on itself and it holds knots. I have almost all the guys at the fishing lodge converted to it. I wont go back to super lines.

WayneChristie
03-11-2010, 05:54 PM
I wouldnt count on powerpro to stop a pikes teeth without a leader, I watched a 4 pounder bite right thru my 30 pound test PP this winter. I always use wire leaders now.

CapnCrunch
03-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Ugly Braid Is good no problems,

Logan
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
another vote for PowerPro, and get a Titanium leader, I thought they were over priced until I actually used one, SO worth the money Ive honestly caught 40+ Pike on it and its still looking new.

Crusty
03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Sorry, a little off topic but seeings how we're yakkin about baitcasters, I have 2 - 6501 C3 's for sale.
On topic, does anyone have comments on, Stealth Code Red Braid?
Thanks.

JohninAB
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Palomar knot on a braided line works great never a slip. And if worried about a slip, a small dab of superglue works wonders too.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Power pro line is where its at 50 lb , and 100lb fluorocarbon leader pretty hard to beat .

AK47
03-12-2010, 09:27 AM
My vote goes for Power Pro as well.

jeprli
03-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Either powrpro or suffix, PP digs in, suffix not so much(30lb should do you good)

Before you spool it up soak it in warm water for an hour or so, and then spool it onto the reel, you don't need mono backing, just use a rubber band, wrap it around your spool a few times and then tie on your braid. Keep some pressure on the line as you spool it and that should do it for you. They can do it at the store for you, but it will not be as good as when you do it yourself!!!

For braid lines, palomar knot all the way, you can even double the first knot, and double up on the last swoop as well, lubricate it with lots of saliva, and then tighten. It will never give up!

Wes G! the whole point of braid is that it doesnt stretch, has superb power over any mono, and is easier to cast. The reason you knots break is you're eother tying them wrong or your not retying often enough. If it frays then buy something that doesnt, there is only one Power Pro(i don;t care that rest of the group claim that they use same materials) look at the packaging of all those super lines, Power Pro/stren is the only one made in the USA(hopefully Shimano will not outsource it to far East).

You get what you pay for!

P.S. I never understood why people love Fireline(perhaps it's the first superline to hit Canadian market???), that garbage frays like it's ment for fraying not fishing, I tried gunsmoke, tried Crystal, it's plain garbage, and for the money it sells there are way better lines to buy for your money.

nicemustang
03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
As for power pro...what lb and color do you use for walleye? I've never used it and I've liked my fireline braid. I need to respool some lines this year, so maybe I will try it. Does BPS or Fishin hole stock in bulk so they can spool it for me?

Mike_W
03-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Holy smokes there BBJ what are you fishing for and where with line like that?

Power pro line is where its at 50 lb , and 100lb fluorocarbon leader pretty hard to beat .

03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Holy smokes there BBJ what are you fishing for and where with line like that?

Sturgeon . No sense in using 20 , just puts to much stress on the fish . You just reel them in rather then a 50 minute fight you have a 5 minute one . Less stress on the fish releasing it back healthy is a good thing .

LacLaBicheNS
03-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Good tips!

I'll try power pro...

THe biggest reason I use fire line is because when I need to re spool the store here in town has NO selection but they general keep their fire line stocked.

I do order from bass pro shops but last summer I had to re spool and didn't want to wait for a order to come in.

Cheers

BowhuntAB
03-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Who's big Jack? :huh:

Sorry i had too.:)

nicemustang
03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
BTW: Bass pro has power pro on sale 20% off until march 22 or something like that.

JohninAB
03-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Beauty of the higher test 50lb plus, is if the big ole girl gets down in the rweds you can winch her out so to speak, plus can get her boatside sooner so as not to stress her out so much for release and finally at $20 plus for some top water lures, sure don't want to lose too many to line breaking.

buckmasterjr
03-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Sturgeon . No sense in using 20 , just puts to much stress on the fish . You just reel them in rather then a 50 minute fight you have a 5 minute one . Less stress on the fish releasing it back healthy is a good thing .

Have caught lots of sturgeon on 20. 20 is perfectly fine.:)

fish-man
03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Good to hear, I want to try for a sturgeon this summer but I don't feel like buying really heavy line,.

Unless it's super weedy, 50 lb seems like overkill for pike. To each their own I guess, but I prefer the fish putting up a good fight rather than just cranking it in.

buckmasterjr
03-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Good to hear, I want to try for a sturgeon this summer but I don't feel like buying really heavy line,.

Unless it's super weedy, 50 lb seems like overkill for pike. To each their own I guess, but I prefer the fish putting up a good fight rather than just cranking it in.

There have been some 30+ pounders pulled out with 20.

Wes_G
03-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Either powrpro or suffix, PP digs in, suffix not so much(30lb should do you good)

Wes G! the whole point of braid is that it doesnt stretch, has superb power over any mono, and is easier to cast. The reason you knots break is you're eother tying them wrong or your not retying often enough. If it frays then buy something that doesnt, there is only one Power Pro(i don;t care that rest of the group claim that they use same materials) look at the packaging of all those super lines, Power Pro/stren is the only one made in the USA(hopefully Shimano will not outsource it to far East).

You get what you pay for!

Yeah thanks, trust me I have plenty of experience with braided lines and know what knots to tie, advantages and dissadvantages over mono (already said I dont use mono on my pike rod) and have no problem with my knots breaking. I have used and seen them used enough to stand behind my opinions on them.

03-12-2010, 11:18 PM
There have been some 30+ pounders pulled out with 20.

Yes I know have used very light tackle to haul in those sturgeon . Not good for the fish , puts alot of stress on them . Where as the heavy line you haul them in get a jump or two . Same goes for any species of fish , I use the same rod for Sturgeon as I do pike , at least with my bait caster . And not very often I lose a fish , nor harm a fish by letting it fight its self to death .

jeprli
03-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah thanks, trust me I have plenty of experience with braided lines and know what knots to tie, advantages and dissadvantages over mono (already said I dont use mono on my pike rod) and have no problem with my knots breaking. I have used and seen them used enough to stand behind my opinions on them.

Well in your first post you hate it, now you don't have any problems with it:confused::confused::confused:

Don't mean to step on your toes, I've seen a lot of people change from one kind of line to next and keep using same kind of knots, which in most cases wont work. In no way am I saying you're not expirienced, I was just pointing out mistakes that most anglers make with braided lines. I've also used all kinds of lines from around the world(Italy, France, Germany, Japan, USA) there are a lot of good lines, but for the price/quality comparison, nothing beats PowerPro braid(or Italian Trabucco mono, but that is "unobtanium" for us in NA)

BTW don't be surprised that your braid always breaks at the knot, that is the way it's supposed to work, wheres mono/flouro breaks anywhere(and stretches/loses strength) braid only breaks on the knot(there are instances where it will break anywhere along it's length but that is due to other factors involved).

It can be problematic around sharp rocks but that is what Fluorocarbon leader is for, tie on a foot or two to keep the braid away from sharp edges and that is it.

Cheerio!

Wes_G
03-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I didn't say I liked them, i said I have used enough to form my opinions on them, and in my first message my opinions were all pretty negative. I am not going to sit here and talk pro's and cons of one over the other here. We will be here all day.

buckmasterjr
03-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes I know have used very light tackle to haul in those sturgeon . Not good for the fish , puts alot of stress on them . Where as the heavy line you haul them in get a jump or two . Same goes for any species of fish , I use the same rod for Sturgeon as I do pike , at least with my bait caster . And not very often I lose a fish , nor harm a fish by letting it fight its self to death .

How often is a guy going to pull in a 40+ pounder. Most sturgeon caught are between 5 and 20lbs.

Crossfire
03-19-2010, 07:33 PM
power pro is an aewsome braid and as far as fading goes almost all of the braids fade make sure when you spool your reel you put a backing of some mono in the spool first to stop the line from spinning on the spool

Geezle
03-19-2010, 07:40 PM

X2 on what BBJ said. I had a F&W guy tell me that he'd much rather see me using what even I consider 'overkill' so I could Hulk the sturgeon in quick and send it on its way again rather than use lighter tackle and play it out before releasing.

WayneChristie
03-19-2010, 08:00 PM
I upweighted to 80 pound powerpro for moby this winter and thats the same reel and line Im going to use this summer for sturgeon, but since the record was set not far from my house at 105 I dont think thats overkill. and I think I invented a new word too, just ask my spell checker :evilgrin:

Geezle
03-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I upweighted to 80 pound powerpro for moby this winter and thats the same reel and line Im going to use this summer for sturgeon, but since the record was set not far from my house at 105 I dont think thats overkill. and I think I invented a new word too, just ask my spell checker :evilgrin:

Don't get excited, spell check isn't that smart! :lol:

A 105lb sturgeon would be quite a fight with my 50lb line :o :scared:

WayneChristie
03-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Don't get excited, spell check isn't that smart! :lol:

A 105lb sturgeon would be quite a fight with my 50lb line :o :scared:

Jay from what I hear a 20 pound strug would be quite a fight with 50 pound line :D Cant wait to catch one, I dont care if its 6 inches long, at least it will be a sturgeon. Then my next goal will be to break the record :evilgrin: and all only 6 minutes from my house, unless Im driving my car, could do it in 3 in that case ;) less if I get rid of the governor :evilgrin: whats this 170 crap?????

DLP
03-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Power pro I used it all last yesr with out a leader only a snap swivel and it is great. My rig I used it on is a Abu bait caster and a 8' rod. It work great and will continue to use it.

Tinman

x2

jcahoo1
03-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Power pro os the best stuff going right now, and we'll see more sales on it now that Shimano owns it... Suffix also has a great braid... Fireline isn't worth your time, heres why... Power Por and Suffix are circular braids, and the rest are more of a square line, causing linetwist issues. Circuler Braids also cast better. 20% Power Pro until March 28th at BPS, check fishin hole too, they may have a special on. One problem is that I havent been able to find bulk Power pro anywhere!! Any ideas on that?

A187
03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Actually, Fireline does make a circular braid and its excellent.

Fireline braid
http://www.landbigfish.com/images/store/Berk-FirelineBraid.jpg

Normal flat Fireline
http://www.monstertackle.co.uk/images/products/Berkley_Fireline.jpg