PDA

View Full Version : How I started fishing... for the girls

flygirrl
03-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Just wondering how you ladies were introduced to fishing..........

As for myself I had wanted to go fishing as a young child.. living in the city it was not easy to do. my mother wouldnt let me anyway as the only place we had really to go fishing was off the warf in the Saint John harbour. I couldnt understand it than but I sure do now as there were all kinds of lets say less than good stand up people comming in at the Saint John warf. It once was the major point of entry for shipping.
But boy I used to envy my brother when him and his buddys went fishing.. I knew I couldnt go and it was all I could do to not sit on the steps and cry.

Finaly I grew up:lol::lol: and when I got married I was lucky enough to marry someone whom was into fishing big time back than. He taught me to fly fish, fish for stripers, bass fishing etc. To this day I have a passion for fishing and hope I always will.......

So whats your story, Im sure there are a few.......:evilgrin:

WayneChristie
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I started fishing for the girls too, but all I caught was fish!!!! :evilgrin:

flygirrl
03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
:lol::lol::lol::evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin::lol: :lol::lol: I dont know I'd say you got lucky and caught karen:tongue2:

baitfisher83
03-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Yeah he's lucky he caught her, someone has to catch the fish...

roachman
03-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I come from manitoba where the fishing is past breathtaking. I started to fish at about 8 yrs of age and found myself more enthused at that time with how my grandfather cleaned the fish, rather than catching the fish. I spent more time playing on the beach then I did with a rod in my hand.
About 10 yrs ago... my mom met a man I adore and love.... and I thought hey... it's my birthday.. let's go ice fishing!! Rather than run for the hillls... he was all over it! Best birthday of my life! I was immediately hooked! He has shown me more than I could have ever imagined. Every ounce I am truly greatful for. Rumtan knows who I speak of. lol The only thing I will not do is wear the same pink laces! :P And.... he got a jamaican onto the ice!!! Got him hooked as well! I don't know about you... but that is not such an easy task! ... so that is my how i started to fish and got hooked story
hope no one fell sleep lol

roachman
03-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok Deb ... it's your turn!!! I am dying to know your story! :)

bobcatguy
03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Dad stopped the truck at Poplar brook got out & cut 2 alders about 1/2"x4ft We tied on some fishline & a hook with a worm from under a log & caught the mosty beautiful creature I had ever seen. A brookie proly all of 6"

DarkAisling
03-11-2010, 10:36 PM
My father wanted a son. He got two daughters. He said "To Hades with it," and he took his daughters fishing. One daughter caught lots of fish. The other daughter didn't catch many. The daughter who caught lots of fish hasn't picked up a fishing rod in 27 years. The daughter who didn't catch many is still tryin' . . . Someday my count will be higher than my little sister's, but it may take the rest of my life to do it!

jinx
03-12-2010, 07:10 AM
Caught my first fish on a camping trip to the NWT at 8 and i was hooked. Dad #2 or mom was not interested in fishing so after that trip i use to walk down to the red deer river and fish by myself it was a 10 minute walk.Or i would fish at dad #2's parents house (they lived on the NSR) If mom are dad were around when i was fishing i would ask what kind of fish is this (when i caught one) and they would always say thats a sucker or a pike i now know they didn't have a clue either :lol:

mommabear
04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Met a great guy last summer and started fishing with him and his kids. Caught my first fish with his 10yr old son. He was very willing to show me how things were done. Have my first season of icefishing behind me and loved it. Now on to flyfishing...I have lots to learn, but am very much looking forward to it.

diamonddave
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
It's a good thing we have so much spare time to spend fishing.......;)

DarkAisling
04-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Now on to flyfishing...I have lots to learn, but am very much looking forward to it.

If you're in the Calgary area you can come out with me sometime. I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm bound and determined to have fun doing it :D

diamonddave
04-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Don't be giving her any ideas Shelley, she will start to think that she doesn't need me anymore........

DarkAisling
04-16-2010, 12:00 PM
:lol: No she won't. Sometimes it is just nice to hang out with the ladies.

TexasTornado
04-16-2010, 12:06 PM
I went up to Ministikwin Lake in Sask with my dad and uncles when i was about 6 or 7, i felt something bite my hook and then just started running 100MPH with the line still in my hand and a Pike came flying out of the hole..........been hooked ever since. They all still laugh about it to this day.

Joel Massicotte
04-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm a single dad with two daughters, 8 and 5. The little one got her first fishing rod this year for christmas. I swear when she opened it she just met the Beatles!!

I've taken them out 2 times so far this year and they both absolutely love it. They get so excited on the drive/hike out and are really good casters! (So I can actually get a few casts in myself!) Hopefully, some day they'll be telling there own first time fishing stories. I am determined they both catch their first fish this year, they both got skunked last year.

DarkAisling
04-16-2010, 01:26 PM
I am determined they both catch their first fish this year, they both got skunked last year.

If you're in the Calgary area, take them to PCR (Pine Coulee Reservoir) when it opens to fish for some walleye off the dock. Chances are very good that they'll catch some (though I do know some have been skunked there on occasion). There are some other good spots there too. My eldest boy caught his first fish out there last summer.