PDA

View Full Version : Wading for Rooster fish? Cabo area?

BowhuntAB
03-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm heading down to San Jose del Cabo. I have fly fished several sal****er areas in the past but have never been to the Baja. I will be with a guide a few days but have heard of guys casting into the surf and getting Travally and Roosters. Anyone got any info on pointers?

We leave on Sunday night! HELP!!! :)

tatonkagp
03-13-2010, 10:03 AM
the newest Fly fusion, has a story in it about that exact thing. They say a large Rooster over 40lbs, is like hooking into the devil himself. Good luck dude I hope you post some pics.

honker_clonker
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Get a quad, some surf candy, deceivers, general white and olive back or tan back baitfish looking flies on 1/0 to 3/0, polarized glasses and giver. Look for shadows or birds, run them down and get a cast out there. They are rovers from what I understand and come in and out of the surf. If its rough it might be a bit better because the bait will stay closer to shore in the white wash giving you a better shot. You have to make your chances count, good casts on the first go from basically a run. Big beaches down there and lots of water to cover. If you can find a feature near shore you can wait it out and hope something comes by.

WalleyeDeitz
03-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey Bohunt, I am heading to the exact place on March 20th. If you can let me know how you make out. If you will be there after the 20th, I would be interested in sharing a guided trip if your into that. Let me know if interested?

goldscud
03-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Hope you've been running

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4687EO8tK4

BowhuntAB
03-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Just got back last night! :cry:

What a blast! Next time i hope the wife gives me more then 2 days notice so i can get my gear together but still had a great time!

Honker is definatly right when he told me to get a quad. I tryed to first bit without one and was running all over the place.

Thanks guys!

dennisb
03-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey BowhuntAB, Can you elaberate a little more. Im headed down with the wife and kids the first of April for 10 days, and was wondering if i should bring any gear or not???

honker_clonker
03-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Glad to help. Catch anything?

BowhuntAB
03-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Glad to help. Catch anything?

Got into a few Roosters. Pretty wild stuff! I figured i was over gunned bring down a 10# but that was not the case for the bigger fish or the condtions. I that landed baby tarpon (up to 70lbs) on this rod with a Tibor Riptide. I got my but kicked by a few fish forsure!

At the end of four mornings out i finished up with 4 Snook one around 15lbs. 2 Roosters, and mix of jacks, pompano, seirra and some other smaller snapper and random fish.

This was a last min trip so i wasnt really prepared. I'm going back in a few months to do it right!