PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater Shrimp curing

Sundancefisher
03-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Has anyone ever tried to capture and cure freshwater shrimp in brine for use as bait during the winter? I am thinking that if one cured them in brine immediately to toughen up the skin then froze them in a bit of water that they would work well.

I found freshwater shrimp http://bugguide.net/images/cache/Y0NQHSUQC0XKWKRKUK0K6KXKVKGKVKAQHS5KNK8KF0GKLSVQJ0 8Q10NQBK4KUK4KF0MKZSGKZS7KVKXKTK7K6K7KZS.jpg to be a very, very, very good bait for perch in our lake. I would love to know if anyone has tried this and if someone finds a pond near south Calgary this summer teaming with shrimp...give me a call!

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sun

slingshotz
03-13-2010, 10:44 PM
I know in the shallows of CV there are millions of shrimp but I'm not sure exactly how one would go about collecting them. The only way I could think of is to design a small fine mesh version of a crawfish trap.

They sell almost the same thing (just a little bit larger) at T&T market but I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet for perch.

deadlast
03-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Eagle Lake near Strathmore has an awful lot of freshwater shrimp.

You may want to look at this article, it's for "real" shrimp, but the method might be transportable?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5454453_cure-bait-shrimp.html

I have never met you before but have followed your sundance perch issue for years now (on this board and it's predecessor) - I assume the lake is closed now to ice fishing for the winter? If not, I'd like to pop down with my son to give it a try. I'm on my way to Gull Sunday 14th am

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Not sure how they get them but I buy Shrimp for Perch and Whitefish bait , pretty tough to beat those especially in winter . Like I say not sure how they cure them , make them hard and not fall apart . The key to getting them on the hook with out falling apart is a good Sharp hook .

goldscud
03-14-2010, 10:07 AM
The slough southeast of Langdon off 22X if full of Gammarus. Just go wading with your waders on...come out and stand on a plastic sheet and brush them off. Collect into a container and you'll be ready for curing.

deercamp
03-14-2010, 10:47 AM
i just catch them live in the winter.. lots of little pothole lakes have tons of them. just drill a hole and flush it a few times and they spill out onto the ice like crazy..

deadlast
03-15-2010, 07:56 AM
I might be trying this too. Are you allowed to remove "live" bait from one body of water and use it in another body of water? I know you can't with minnows, will this not be the same thing?

tatonkagp
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Deadlast I was thinking the exact same thing.

Jimboy
03-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Has anyone ever tried to capture and cure freshwater shrimp in brine for use as bait during the winter? I am thinking that if one cured them in brine immediately to toughen up the skin then froze them in a bit of water that they would work well.

I found freshwater shrimp http://bugguide.net/images/cache/Y0NQHSUQC0XKWKRKUK0K6KXKVKGKVKAQHS5KNK8KF0GKLSVQJ0 8Q10NQBK4KUK4KF0MKZSGKZS7KVKXKTK7K6K7KZS.jpg to be a very, very, very good bait for perch in our lake. I would love to know if anyone has tried this and if someone finds a pond near south Calgary this summer teaming with shrimp...give me a call!

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Sun

Soakum in formaldahyde for a week , rinse them off and with a little salt there not to bad with your beer :wave:
But in all seriousness , formaldahyde is it , but be carefull with it , wear a mask and rubber gloves , buy it at taxedermy shop , deadly stuff , so read handling directions , or go the old fashioned way and just bury them in Kosher salt for a week , thats probably your best way.