PDA

View Full Version : Sylvan/Gull Report for March 13

SNAPFisher
03-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Got love it when a plan comes together! Plan was to fish Sylvan and "attempt" to limit our on whites early, then, fish Gull. Haven't kept a pike in years so I was looking for a good medium sized one. Happy to say that all came together!

Funny on the way to Sylvan I look at the gas gauge. About a 1/2 tank. No problem, I'll just stop for gas on the way back...wait...no wallet....wait, no cell either. Do I turn around? Nope! Keep right on going. :scared: No one accused me of being a genious. So, I drove like a granny to conserve fuel. BTW, did make it back with 90 km to spare on the gauge. That truck gets great gas mileage whey you actually go the speed limit :innocent:

Sylvan started off great. Had a few rather large whites try for the hook but missed everytime. It was early and visibility was not good yet...yeah that's it. Had one small one on the ice at 9 a.m. (got there at 7 a.m.) They went nuts after that. By 9:15 a.m. I had 5 on the ice and was packing up. Only saw one other fish and it was a smallish walleye. White pic:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/SylvanGull0313003.jpg

Headed over to Gull. Setup and found a small pike playing with the camera already. As soon as I started fishing the perch showed up. Ended up landing an almost 12 incher. Other than perch, I wasn't finding too much and did some moving around. Only managed to land 1 burbot for all the moving. Went back to the first hole in the mid-afternoon and it was "on". Had a nice pike come in and hammer the jig. Went into the cam cord and pulled off. No biggy it happens. Kept landing perch before the next pike came in. This one looked to be a large 10 lber. Managed to hook up and ...into the cam line it goes...fought it for a bit but eventually the line snapped. :mad3:

Things did slow down a bit but not before another nice pike came into view. I could tell it was going to swim by while I was jigging so I dropped the jig and minnow to the bottom and did not move it. The pike stopped on queue, turned and looked at the bait. Give it the tinniest of movement and the pike moved in slowly and grabbed it. Set the hook and the fight was on!!!! And, into the cam line…
However this time I stuck the rod down to the bottom of hole, kept the pressure on and managed to work the pike back around the line. Got the pike into the hole, line snapped finally so I did the plunge and grab. Managed to get the pike out and everything back. Nice fat 6 lber. I’m one happy camper. 4 species day!

Pike with a few bonus perch thrown in
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/APetesky/SylvanGull0313005.jpg

To add to the day, weather went from windy and snowing in the morning to breathless and sunny in the afternoon. Out and about, I saw over 100 deer and a very nice looking red fox that posed for nicely for me.

Great day out!

moosehunter3-0
03-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Nice pics, I was out sat as well on gull. Out of 7 hook ups on whites I only landed one, but manage 10 small ling and a small pike. Today was worse, hooked up twice with pike on tip ups, both damn near spooled my line and both got off after pulling them up 15 feet :lol:

slingshotz
03-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Nice mix of fish there SNAP. I had a feeling we should have tried for whites at Sylvan instead of Gull today. We were at Wilsons in the shanty town and it was pretty slow, hardly saw anyone catching anything. We only managed two good sized burbs and had a big pike cruise by and snap our line :(.

We were mainly trying for whites and I think they were investigating our wireworms, wetaskiwins and bottom bouncers but couldn't get any hook ups. What were they hitting at Sylvan?

Leonidas
03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Went to Sylvan Lake on Sunday. Rng Rd 23 where we usually go this time of year. I didn't see one person catch anything. We had six of us there, we had our hooks in the water at 8:30, and we fished until 2. We had 2 good hits. We fished everywhere from 8 feet to 21 feet of water, used the normal gold bells, silver bells, wetaskiwins of different colours, wire worms, jig heads with assorted colours and tails. We tried everything.

The Ling are not running yet. Maybe next weekend...

moosehunter3-0
03-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Went to Sylvan Lake on Sunday. Rng Rd 23 where we usually go this time of year. I didn't see one person catch anything. We had six of us there, we had our hooks in the water at 8:30, and we fished until 2. We had 2 good hits. We fished everywhere from 8 feet to 21 feet of water, used the normal gold bells, silver bells, wetaskiwins of different colours, wire worms, jig heads with assorted colours and tails. We tried everything.

The Ling are not running yet. Maybe next weekend...

Someone posted that they were running good last weekend so the feeding may be over. I know on gull alot of the females are empty. I caught 10 little (we're talking 1 pound) males on a williams whitefish spoon and I had to use the aqua-vu to **** them off into biting. They wouldnt touch anything on bottom but if you held it over them they would come right up and mouth at it till finally taking it. I also witnessed for the first time a ling ball on the cam that had to have 20-30 individuals it was crazy! They were all big ones but they wouldnt bite. It only lasted 5 minutes then they dispersed and thats when the little ones came in and started taking my spoon. I also noticed the whitefish were cruising around sucking up frozen minnows on bottom from people throwing bait down their holes so I laid the spoon on bottom and had 3 whites take it :lol: surprising what they can fit in their mouth and despite the sharp hooks on that lure all but one got off.

Soiler
03-15-2010, 11:10 PM
Where abouts were you at? Trying to get some hooks into some whites tomorrow a.m??

kinwahkly
03-16-2010, 07:33 AM
I was at Sylvan Sunday also, great day, caught my 5 whitefish, a nice pike, one walleye!!!!! and 3 ling,