PDA

View Full Version : Fishing around Calgary

horton213
03-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Hello,
Im new to fishing but would like to get into it. Does anyone have any suggestions on good spots to fish. I tried upstream from glenmore bridge by Beaver dam flats.. I used a red and white spoon.. didnt catch anything.. I just have a normal rod,, not fly fishing..
Where is a good spot and what are some good lures?? Thanks in advance!!
Chris

tonyflyfish
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
go to search on here and search "google maps". JTS has a map on here with many sports all over Alberta including the Calgary area.

DarkAisling
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Welcome, Horton.

What fish would you like to target?

FishingForLife
03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
I don't wanna give away all my hot spots.
Click this, Hope It Helps

http://www.fishalberta.com/02Season/calgary/aroundcalgary.htm#Carburn%20Park%20Pond

tacklerunner
03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Moved to Calgary in 1994. Started flyfishing very soon after on the Bow. But went once and threw out a yellow Panther Martin spinner and a regular rod and caught an 18" rainbow. Maybe try some Mepps too. Also if you don't flyfish, you can use a bobber and a fly. Go to a fishing store and they will tell you what to use for flies at different times of the year based on the hatches.

Hope this helps. You will have success.

horton213
03-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I dont really care what kind of fish i catch, whatever is easiest i guess lol.. thanks for the replies!

aulrich
03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
To start pick up the "guide to alberta fishing" any store with decent outdoors mags should have it. It has maps and basic desciptions of what is there. If you are stuck to shore lots of the stock trout ponds will work.

But then again there is the Bow, it can be a bit of a bear to learn how to fish it but it is well worth the time. The fishing is better down stream of the wier or more accuratly Bonnie Brook treatment plant.

There are plenty of access points, there is a map available at the outdoors stores, but think of it this way bridges , parks and the bike path. You can get by with regular gear, but it is worth the time to learn how to flyfish. Small spoons and spinners will work my biggest brown was caught on a leach streamer dragged behind a silver spoon.

Right now is a good time to start fishing the bow, fish deep slow water and you should be golden.

FYI the river gets real hard to fish during run off and oddly it is way later than you think and severity changes from year to year. Typically shortly after May long lasting a couple of weeks.

Personally spring is my favorite time of year on the bow the fish are not quite as scrappy but the river is less crowded.

GDM
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Great thread at appropriate time. I have just moved up from Texas myself. Family (twin 10 year olds move up this summer). Not only are we looking for hunting advice, but also fishing advice. I grew up on the Texas gulf coast wade and boat fishing for Sea Trout, Redfish and Flounder. Looking to see that the boys and I experience all Canada has to offer in the way of hunting and fishing as well.

We are looking at homes in McKenzie lakes area.