PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Kona Hawaii

wapiti11
03-15-2010, 10:06 PM
This is an update of my March holiday to Kona Hawaii. After checking out several charter boats at the Kona Marina, I decided to go with Bobby Cherry on his boat the Cherry Pit II. This was a smaller boat [28'] but it was well equipped and the operator seemed to be very competent regarding deep sea fishing. His rate as very reasonable compared to most other larger boats [$375/day]. We started out at 06:30 in the morning trolling 5 lines. We saw whales, dolphins and schools of porpoises. After going thru a large school of porpoises at around 09:30 we got a hit on the port short line. It was a blue marlin and I scrambled to get into the fighting vest and chair. The marlin took about a 300 yd run and then surfaced as I began the fight that lasted 35 minutes. I brought the marlin close to the boat 2 times and it would take a run out each time and surface trying to shake the lure. On the third retrieve we got the Blue marlin along side the boat, the Captain removed the hooks and we released the fish. Unfortunately we didn't get any super pictures of the fish, but the weight estimate was 300 lbs. If anyone would like to see the pics of the boat, lures, fish or other info please send me a pm. Thanks to all for your suggestions and recommendations. It was a blast and and an experience I will never forget.
wapiti11

bardfromedson
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
way to go!! sounds like a great day on the water. glad to hear the capt. let it swim another day. most charters in hawaii don't let billfish go and its not up to the client. they own the fish and sell them. your lucky if they give you enough for a fish fry.

wapiti11
03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey bardfromedson;
Your right the boat owner owns the fish. Clients need to discuss what the operator will let them keep. But it is in the best interest of the operator to release big marlin as they do not make good eating and have alot more value if caught and released. Most big ones (over 200 lbs) if killed are made into jerky. We bought some marlin steaks and barbequed them. They were very similiar to big old halibut steaks. Dense grainy and chewy. Nothing like chickens.
Cheers!
wapiti