PDA

View Full Version : Really Impressed With a Product...

ULTRAlite
03-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Just thought I would share a product that I have been really impressed with over the past few weeks. I won a Hummingbird PiranhaMax 150 Portable fish finder in a derby a while ago. I've owned many fish finders over the years, used during the summer months and I've always questioned how accurate and reliable they are. This one has changed my mind... after fiddling for a while and understanding / changing the settings I can use it just like a flasher. It can be zoomed to wherever in the water column you want to focus - really stood out to me fishing perch this last weekend. I could see my 1/64oz perch jig head on the monitor... even when 25 feet below the ice! I could identify when a fish was swimming into range, when it was following my jig up, or when it was following my jig down. Couldn't belive it! Won't icefish without it any more! Comes with it's own battery and charger - I've charged it once, and used it for 21 - 25 hours on the ice - and it's still above the low battery alarm!

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/520/product_image/e7bc3f2febad59aa514ca7188a51049f.jpg

Negatives:

took me an hour to put it together out of the box - required drilling
no battery indicator - just a low battery alarm which you can adjust

If you want a flasher but can't afford one... this seems to be a pretty good alternative. Costs about $150

DarkAisling
03-16-2010, 05:15 AM
I'd looked at these, but at the price point it made me sceptical. Oops! It is nice to know that it is still possible to get value and performance :)

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 07:23 AM
my sons got me that one for Christmas, not the portable one tho. I just attached the transponder to a length of 2x2 and clamp it to a tackle box, hook the unit to my deep cycle battery and it works great! cant wait to use it in my canoe this summer. you can see my herring bait off the bottom, the stuff at the top was I believe shrimp, lots of shrimp.
http://i787.photobucket.com/albums/yy156/rollinghillbilly/March%207%202010/DSCF8390.jpg

iliketrout
03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
you can see my herring bait off the bottom[/IMG]

I'd sure hope it could see a 16" herring :lol::lol:

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd sure hope it could see a 16" herring :lol::lol:

ahh, I gave up on those after I saw a pike trying to make whoopee to it :evilgrin: stick to 6 inchers now.

buckmasterjr
03-16-2010, 07:36 PM
ahh, I gave up on those after I saw a pike trying to make whoopee to it :evilgrin: stick to 6 inchers now.

Use a big treble hook and use the head of the herring. It works good for pike and burbot.

hockey1099
03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I have the same unit. I used it all summer it will last at least 5 trips without a charge maybe longer but i never tested it past 40 hours of use. It works great for ice fishing i have the transduecer mounted onto a wooden T that is 2 feet long that goes down a hole. Works great.

Great value as i use it all year round.

enzo
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Use a big treble hook and use the head of the herring. .

Don't worry, he uses a minimum of two trebles.