PDA

View Full Version : Lake Diefenbaker :)

perchie15
03-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I've been going out that way for last 3 years during the summer and that lake is just plain awesome doesnt seem like the fishing ever slows down, maybe its the regulations that Saskatchewan has keep one over maturity age which is smart. Im surprise that lake isnt fished out yet with all the pressure it gets wow!!

So I was just wondering if anyone here in Alberta has ever gone out to the lake.

jts1
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I was born and raised in Moose Jaw. I have spent many a hr on that lake. The fishing is great you never know what you are going to pull up out of there. And the locations are endless due to the size of it.

pikehunter1989
03-16-2010, 02:58 PM
ya ive been up there a few times..try to make it out that way every couple years and it is definatly a great lake to fish..big rainbows and nice walleyes..and some nice whities aswell out of there..and the couple fish i have ate from there all tasted great! have heard that there is some nice pike in there aswell but never found any..im heading up there this summer i think for a few days and wouldnt mind doing a multi species weekend..any tips on where to find them if they are infact in there (of nice size)?

nicemustang
03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Is there any nice treed campgrounds in that area?

BeerSlayer1
03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
If you want a TREED campsite, try the Coldwell Recreation Site just a couple of miles from the dam. It's down in the river valley, not on the lake.

pikehunter1989
03-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Douglas campground is really nice aswell and your a 5 minute walk from the lake

Roughneck Country
03-16-2010, 06:01 PM
I grew up on that lake in a town called Elbow. The town has an awesome treed and sheltered campground right on the water in a bay so it is really nice. It also has showers, power and water at the campground as well. Also there is an awesome marina, bait shop and place to get fuel at the water side. Like the one poster said douglas park just south of Elbow has a good campground as well. The fishing is hit or miss though. I have pulled in over 20 fish in three hours before as well as a 16lb pike off the boat launch, but I have also gone for a week without so much as a bite. The fish there always taste great though the lake is so cold the pike are even good in the summer. It really depends on the species of fish and the time of yr you are fishing. First thing in the spring and late fall the pike are biting good. Winter the catfish are good fishing, summer walleye perch whitefish and trout are your best bets. Dont get me wrong you can catch pretty much every species in the summer you are just more likely to catch some than others. I have caught fish pretty much everywhere on that lake one time or another so over all I would say your chances of success are high there.

As a side note I still go back there at least three times a yr to fish so deff worth the drive from Calgary!

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 06:04 PM
I grew up on that lake in a town called Elbow. The town has an awesome treed and sheltered campground right on the water in a bay so it is really nice. It also has showers, power and water at the campground as well. Also there is an awesome marina, bait shop and place to get fuel at the water side. Like the one poster said douglas park just south of Elbow has a good campground as well. The fishing is hit or miss though. I have pulled in over 20 fish in three hours before as well as a 16lb pike off the boat launch, but I have also gone for a week without so much as a bite. The fish there always taste great though the lake is so cold the pike are even good in the summer. It really depends on the species of fish and the time of yr you are fishing. First thing in the spring and late fall the pike are biting good. Winter the catfish are good fishing, summer walleye perch whitefish and trout are your best bets. Dont get me wrong you can catch pretty much every species in the summer you are just more likely to catch some than others. I have caught fish pretty much everywhere on that lake one time or another so over all I would say your chances of success are high there.

As a side note I still go back there at least three times a yr to fish so deff worth the drive from Calgary!

what kind of catfish are in there???? getting interested here :D

Commander B
03-16-2010, 06:20 PM
I have made a trip there with and english guy who was "mad for some carp"
We did ok with some small ones in the river. But it is said there are some true monsters in there. I think we needed to have one of the guiding services bait a spot for us. The walleye and pike were very cooperative for the days we were there.

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
I have made a trip there with and english guy who was "mad for some carp"
We did ok with some small ones in the river. But it is said there are some true monsters in there. I think we needed to have one of the guiding services bait a spot for us. The walleye and pike were very cooperative for the days we were there.

the river below Buffalo Pound Lake has some nice carp, some in the lake too. ask JTS1 about them he grew up a cast from there. caught my first pike fishing for those carp, on a piece of bread .

Badback
03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
what kind of catfish are in there???? getting interested here :D

It is fed from the South Sask river which is fed from the Bow, Oldman etc...There have been very large rainbows (World Record Trout 43.6 lbs) and sturgeon caught, don't know about catfish...Pike, walleye, whitefish other native types....I fished it many times in my youth...

Roughneck Country
03-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Just a reply to Wayne Christie

I have actually only ever caught 1 carp there (I am sure in certain spots there are a lot of them), I have however caught hundreds and hundreds of Burbout (sp?) there and I know if you go to the dam there are sturgeon as well. The cat fish are not as plentiful as when I was growing up but the populations are coming back. Back in the day there was no limit on them, but I think I saw there is a limit of 6 now.

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Just a reply to Wayne Christie

I have actually only ever caught 1 carp there (I am sure in certain spots there are a lot of them), I have however caught hundreds and hundreds of Burbout (sp?) there and I know if you go to the dam there are sturgeon as well. The cat fish are not as plentiful as when I was growing up but the populations are coming back. Back in the day there was no limit on them, but I think I saw there is a limit of 6 now.

you mean burbs then not cats? either way they both taste awesome. Im not that far from the lake, might have to make a special trip put that way this year. fished it once when it was still being built.

jts1
03-16-2010, 08:02 PM
the river below Buffalo Pound Lake has some nice carp, some in the lake too. ask JTS1 about them he grew up a cast from there. caught my first pike fishing for those carp, on a piece of bread .

Moms has a house right on Buffalo Pound frickn HUGE carp in the river. The boys would shoot em with compound bows. Have some good info for anyone looking to head out that way. May even know a redneck or two that would head out with ya and show you how its done. You buy the beer of course

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
Moms has a house right on Buffalo Pound frickn HUGE carp in the river. The boys would shoot em with compound bows. Have some good info for anyone looking to head out that way. May even know a redneck or two that would head out with ya and show you how its done. You buy the beer of course

tell you what my friend, you are on this summer! have to pick a weekend and go for it. 20 pound carp on light gear, now theres some fun!!!! I remember one of my buddies tail snagged one and it took him and a friend 3 or 4 hours to get it to shore.

nicemustang
03-17-2010, 08:19 AM
you mean burbs then not cats? either way they both taste awesome. Im not that far from the lake, might have to make a special trip put that way this year. fished it once when it was still being built.

You're really dating yourself here Wayne :)

Thanks for the info. I've never been myself and want to try it. Probably not this year with the little one, but I'll keep this info for next year. Besides if we are moving back home...this will be only a couple hour drive from the farm.

ULTRAlite
03-17-2010, 09:48 AM
I have however caught hundreds and hundreds of Burbout (sp?) there and I know if you go to the dam there are sturgeon as well. The cat fish are not as plentiful as when I was growing up but the populations are coming back. Back in the day there was no limit on them, but I think I saw there is a limit of 6 now.

Seen a few pictures from some Saskatchewan boys with a 24lb burbot they pulled outta there. I'll see if I can find the link...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=150502.0

http://i48.tinypic.com/3449kow.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/1e8ciu.jpg

5Weight
03-17-2010, 10:22 AM
I grew up in Regina and have made many trips to Deif over the years. I don't have a boat so most of my fishing has been done from shore (rented a boat once).

I've had fantastic days with endless rainbows, and some days where I've been skunked. Walleye from shore has been sporadic for me, but I've usually done okay when I go after them. We usually rig up for the rainbows.

I've caught perch, pike, walleye, whitefish, burbot, goldeye, and rainbows myself. Pretty good ice fishing too.

Awesome lake...

5W

chuck0039
03-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I have not been back there for years. My dad had a sail boat at the marina in Elbow. Lots of good memorys from that lake. I always wanted to go back and try the fishing again now that I have my own set up Fishing from a sail boat was a bit challenging. I hope one of these years I will be able to make it back there.

perchie15
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Im going there again end of June catch more multi species :) And Danielson Park is very treed, I think pretty well most of them are around the lake.

I've caught goldeye, whitefish, perch, walleye, pike, perch, rainbow, saugar, suckers.. no burbot sadly. Ive seen big pike in the shallows of one bay last year hopefully catch one of them this year!! If in one bay not having much luck then just keep moving downt he lake from Daniellson Park!!

In one bay I had a very nice one, took my hook, made my reel scream, and SNAP!! goes the line!! grr could of been a nice rainbow!! with the set up i was using!! and the certain bay we were in!!

perchie15
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
oh and one lil brown trout!

Roughneck Country
03-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Nice! We use to catche them like that when I was a kid but havent seen one that size for awhile!