PDA

View Full Version : What's a decent and affordable fly rod to start with?

dmckay
03-16-2010, 11:56 AM
I tried flyfishing back when I was 15 and didn't have the patience. Always got snagged on trees behind me.:lol::lol: I'm looking for suggestions on a decent yet affordable fly rod set up. Also, if anyone is looking to get rid of one, I'm open to that.

HerdBull
03-16-2010, 12:03 PM
TFO. Temple Fork Outfitters. You used to be able to buy a whole package (rod reel line and case) for about $200. Not sure what they'd go for these days. They're good rods with a great warranty.

goldscud
03-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Temple fork Ti....around $180
Reel (Pflueger, Amundson,Orvis)....$90-120
Fly line (Scientific Angler, Airflo, Rio) $65

Good place to start

NUK SOO KOW
03-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Ditto on the TFO rods. I own three of them and not one complaint!! I would recomend them to anyone. Great warranty to. I feel they perform just as well if not better than a friends 600 dollar rod!!

tacklerunner
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
TFO. Temple Fork Outfitters. You used to be able to buy a whole package (rod reel line and case) for about $200. Not sure what they'd go for these days. They're good rods with a great warranty.

x 2. What are you going to fish for. That will determine the weight of the rod. 5 or 6 is average and good for all stream fishing and trout lakes.

dmckay
03-16-2010, 12:50 PM
I will probably be fishing trout lakes here and in BC as well as the Bow River. Is there any reputable shops in Calgary that deal second hand? I would love to go new, but times are still pretty tight and I want to make sure I enjoy it too.

tacklerunner
03-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I will probably be fishing trout lakes here and in BC as well as the Bow River. Is there any reputable shops in Calgary that deal second hand? I would love to go new, but times are still pretty tight and I want to make sure I enjoy it too.

Check the buy and sell section:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=11

PM me if you want an opinion if something's a good deal. Most everything is. 5 or 6 weight for sure will suit your needs. Be ready to become addicted. :D

theduke
03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
ebay, i buy all my fly rods off of ebay, even the ones that are over 500 in stores here u can geat for cheap off of ebay

Scott N
03-16-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a TFO rod and think they are a good rod for the money.

lambski
03-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I have a handfull of TFO rods and not one complaint.

ghostguy6
03-16-2010, 05:10 PM
You should check out Pieroway Fly Rods. Geoff builds them in Calgary. He is also a member here.

http://pierowayrods.com/

lannie
03-16-2010, 06:28 PM
The tfo's are good value for the money. In the higher weight lines for trout,
5 and 6- great value. If you are going 4 and under i think you will need to spend a little more cash. I would try and figure out what size of water you will primarily be fishing on. Talk to many people and try out as many as you can before purchasing. Dont look at the price tag of the line, buy that like it is other peoples money.

bloom
03-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Go try out a few rods first.

Go to a reputable shop that carries many rods (ie FishTales in Calgary), cast 3 or 4 rods, and go with the one that works best for you.

Somethings to think about:
1. Warranty
2. Price
3. Put as much money as you can into the rod and the line...skimp on the reel.

lifesaflyin
03-16-2010, 09:04 PM
another vote for TFO. i have a 5 weight with rio grand on it. LOVE IT! although I like my sage more. I learned on the TFO and I still use it.:)