PDA

View Full Version : Open Water Lakers - Southern AB - HELP

tacklerunner
03-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm ready to tackle my next species. Want to try for Lake Trout. What to use???

Are they in deep holes? Certain areas? Different lures at different times of year? Trolling vs casting or jigging?

Any tips and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

TR

nicemustang
03-16-2010, 03:14 PM
A good thread. I have my own thoughts on the subject, but little experience in AB with them. In northern sask it was so easy and I was basically along for a ride. Hold the rod and every 5 mins pull in a fish.

As soon as the water is ice free and it turns over, the lakers will be crusing the shallows or near the surface for a few weeks. The best places are creek beds where run off is coming in. As the water stratifies, you want to fish just above the thermocline. If you have a good fish finder, you should be able to see the thermocline on it, usually around 50 feet of water. Troll just above it or whereever you are marking the most fish. Lots of guys rig up down riggers but we just use Dipsy Divers (http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/divers--planers/dipsy-diver) (size 1) to get it down there. Might take some trial and error. Then use a long 4-10 foot leader from the diver and then pick your lure. I usually use spoons. Anything 4-6" in flashy colors. Anything that works for salmon, works for lakers. Watermelon my personal fav.

I haven't been to any lakes in the summer here in AB but I will be going this year with the new boat. As I said, my experience has been in a 14' aluminum with a 9.9 motor in the middle of waterbury lake in north sask. Pretty much water ever we threw down there worked at some point.

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Only Lakers Ive caught was up above Canmore, around the big rocks in the reservoir right at the top of the hill. soon as the ice was out and they were taking some fairly good sized flies, but it was so long ago I cant remember what they were. There are also lots of Rockies right at the tunnel mouth. dont even know if its open for fishing at ice out anymore, check the regs. The lakers werent big, but they were plentiful.

tacklerunner
03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks mustang. Heard they could be tough to get here in AB. I'm all over the thermocline.

nicemustang
03-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Can't wait to try it this year. We'll be going up in late june/early july to spray and also to minnewanka (sp?). This time in my own boat, lakers beware.

spopadyn
03-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I am with you on this one. I tried Minnewanka last year with downriggers, hooked about 5 but never landed a single one. Planning on going for it again. I have heard that the lakers in Spray are easier to catch but smaller then those in Minnewanka - of course, never having landed one, makes me no expert. This year - game on for lakers....

nicemustang
03-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah no secret on the big fish in minewanka, definitely more bigger fish there than spray.

Gillfisher
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
We went onto Minnewanka with a guide once about 7 yrs ago. We fished out of a boat with lead banana weights that they had painted flourescent green.

All we did was anchor and jig slowly with the lead weight and nothing else. Everyone caught at least 1 fish some were nice some were smaller but all were bigger than what usually comes out of Spray.

I would like to get back up there myself this year and try for some lakers for the smoker.

Gillfisher

sheephunter
03-17-2010, 05:35 PM
Lakers in Minnewanka are pretty easy to catch on jigs. A big white tube jig seems ideal. Just remember the bait (includes scented products) and lead ban. Usually good jigging until mid July and then downriggers are prefered.

thumper
03-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Right when the season opens at Minnewanka, the shallower flats produce well in low light conditions (early a.m./late p.m. or cloudy days). Even casting a flyrod from a float tube can be effective then - and you don't have to travel far from the day-use area. I use my kayak. Try the first major bay on your left heading out - the one that leads to the Cascade River inlet. Even with your flies, make sure they're not weighted with lead - as per Park regulations.

As the water warms (relatively speaking - it's always stupid cold there), try deeper water - I troll with apex lures, or jig with a banana weight painted white. You can tie on a little maribou feathers to give it a 'tail' with some action, and most guides make sure they ink on 'eyes' with a sharpie. Some swear that adding red gills with a sharpie improves their catch - but at those depths, I can't see how red can be distinguished from black so either colour works.

Be sure to put the big ones back - the 25 lb+ ones could be over 50 years old and don't taste very good anyways. (tried one 20 years ago). Also - we now have park wardens specifically tasked with enforcement, and we can expect to see them often on the lake. Read the parks regs and follow them closely. You can't pick berries or mushrooms in the park, I don't know how much longer it'll be before they attempt to ban fishing- lets not give them an excuse to try it!

Lastly, Minnewanka can turn real ugly, real quickly. In my 14' tinny, I've unexpectantly gone from a beautiful day on the water, to some nasty experiences in a very short time. Life jacket or not - you won't last long in that water. There's no cell coverage beyond the launch area, although the tour boats keep an eye out for people in trouble, and are all radio equipped. This is not a place to overload your boat or take any risks.

Hope this helps in taking the 'next species on your list'!