PDA

View Full Version : Calling Lake, Ice and snow condition

Sooner
03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Anyone out to Calling Lake this past weekend that can tell me if there is still enough snow for a liquid cooled snowmobile to get around. I may be stopping at the lake for a couple hours this weekend after I go scout my moose hunting area. Lots of Ice I bet, do you need a extension for the auger?

Thanks

jack88
03-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Went out to Calling today
3 feet of solid ice, next to no snow, maybe an inch left ontop.
Arrived at noon, caught first fish around 5 oclock, small jack, then caught a 8 pound jack about an hour later and that was it for the whole day. Never saw perch or walleye at all. No nibbles either. :mad3: We went out by the provincial park.

Sooner
03-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks Jack88. I will have my sleds for the scout trip anyways. Will probably head out from the campground boat launch and see what bites, may take a rip down to VW point if the snow is soft enough to get some cooling. Thanks for the info.

Rockymtnx
03-18-2010, 12:27 PM
I was out on Calling last week and honestly don't think you will have enough soft stuff too cool it. For sure not enough to keep your rails and sliders cool.

Sooner
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info. By the time I get there it will be after noon so maybe the sun will soften things up. Not a big deal. Two yrs ago I was there at the campground boat launch, big snow drift blocking lake access. Some guy was stuck 200 yrds out. He seen I had a winch so came running over. We got him off the lake but there was no way we were going to try getting throught the deep snow so we loaded our toboggans and walked west about a km to my bro inlaws good spot. Came back to find a few guys parked at the launch and walked out 100 yrds, they had walleye, pike and burbot on the ice, we walked our butts off for one pike. If there is not enough snow for the sleds we will just park out from the launch and try it there.