PDA

View Full Version : How about a gear review thread

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 08:06 PM
After reading Ultralights review on his fishfinder, I thought it might be an idea to start a thread for everyone to review the new gear they picked up this winter.
I got seriously into ice fishing for the first time, and started off with that awesome (not) Sears Ice fishing tent. sent it back before it even saw the light of day. What a nightmare that was. I ordered a 2 man Insta Shak from Cabelas in Winterpeg, and have set it up and taken it down at least twice if not 3 times a week since the ice formed. Not one problem, outside of stepping on it with my cleats and poking an easily fixed hole. No poles coming thru, no broken poles, no broken zippers, just a lot of enjoyment. I have an older Eskimo hand auger, made do with it most of the winter, replacing the blades once and again, no problems, found a sharpener at the Fishin Hole in Calgary for 10 bucks that was great for keeping it up to par. I finally got tired of doing my holes the armstrong way, and picked up a Jiffy 9 inch Lighting gas auger. A bit hard to start out of the box, but got it figured out pretty quick, choke off for a pull or two, then half choke and away it goes. Cut thru 30 inches of ice like mad, no problems at all. Very minimal gas used, I think over 3 weekends and a lot of holes I used maybe half a tank of fuel. Decided to move on up to 80 pound power pro line after losing Moby to 38 pound line, and I am very happy with that line also, you can feel a pike chewing on your bait with it, and the diameter is very small as well.
I also got a Hummingbird 150, mounted the transponder on a length of 2x2 and down the hole, works like a charm. Cant wait to mount it on my canoe this spring and do some more exploring of my local lakes. For the buck, if you want a reasonable fishfinder, judge for yourself, but I am impressed with it.
Lets have some more reviews of your new gear, or your old gear. Lots of new fisher people on the forum, lets give them the benefit of our season on the ice.

tacklerunner
03-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Got a new tip up and rod this year. That's about it. Going to upgrade to those locking rod holders you have next year. Learned always to start the new year off with new gas in the Jiffy Model 30 3hp 10" auger; 3rd year of use. Never had the freezing tip problem others had on their augers. Never sharpened a blade or replaced one. Drilled about 200 holes this year and as sharp a new.

Like you, if anything, augers have too much fuel when you start them so couple extra pulls to burn some off before it starts works.

Decided I like rods more than tip ups. Have 3 of each and the tip ups only went down when I had guests without gear or rarely if I wasn't getting anything and moved a tip up further away to try new spots.

Bought a new depth finder this year. A fabric measuring tape from crappy tire with a 4 oz weight on the end. Very very good purchase, seriously. Can't tell you how many times a foot or 2 in depth made the difference.

Regarding Aqua views and fish finders, I'm still so torn on the product. I've had just as much success NOT seeing Moby swim by my bait and sniff it, stick out his tongue and wave bye bye. Don't know how I'd handle that. However, I must attest to the valuable information you all have posted on the forum regarding where the Pike were biting on the bait and their habits. Then again, teeth marks often tell the story.

Fold up sled tent to haul all my crap is a for sure for next year. Weather was great this year and spent most time in a chair in the open air with a few warm ups in the car but can't expect that forever.

Good thread Wayne. Now get practicing on the fly rod. :D

DarkAisling
03-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I purchased a "Hawkeye Handheld Sonar" by Norcross Marine a couple of months ago. I thought it would be extremely useful to have, as it is indicated that the unit will shoot through the ice and give you the depth before you cut a hole. This, if it really was that easy, would be well worth the $120 I paid for it since I have a hand auger.

It isn't that easy. What one discovers when reading the instructions that come with the unit, is that the ice needs to be perfectly clear: no cracks or bubbles. In addition to that, the process involves half submerging the unit in a bag of water. I never was able to test the unit through the ice, as I never found ice that was clear enough.

Once the hole is drilled, the depth readings vary too much (imho): by up to 6" or so at times on a totally flat and weedless bottom. It would not read the depth at all through a 6" hole in around 24" of ice: only through 8" or bigger holes.

It does read the water temperature. I can't comment on the accuracy, as I never double checked it. I never saw a fish on it, so I can't comment on if it is effective in that regard or not.

$120 is a lot to spend on what has amounted to a thermometer. It was the biggest waste of my cash this hard water season, and is the only purchase I really regret as it proved to be virtually useless.

New Hunter Okotoks
03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
I bought a Frabill Predator portable Ice fishing shelter with big buddy heater.I can't believe how well this setup works.It could be -20 outside with a wind and I could be inside with my heavy jacket off.I figured out pretty quick to buy an adapter for 20lb propane cylinder.I also purchased an adapter to use with a cordless drill and hand auger.The auger is 8" so not really the intended use.I would only get about 2 holes before I would kill the battery.Upgraded to a new Jiffy STX 3 HP 10" gas auger.WOW!!! I know guys have had problems on here with their Jiffy's but mine worked like a champ.It was way easier to make the decision to move to a different spot as it would only take a couple of minutes to drill new holes.I probably drilled 50-100 holes and didn't even burn a tank of gas.

I think next years purchase will be a sonar unit that you can use through the ice to check depth.

New Hunter Okotoks
03-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Dark Aisling obviously types quicker than I do!!!

Just read about her sonar unit experience and now I'm thinking I will do a little research before buying one.

Thanks Dark Aisling.

DarkAisling
03-16-2010, 09:25 PM

Just read about her sonar unit experience and now I'm thinking I will do a little research before buying one.

Thanks Dark Aisling.

:lol: How funny is that! Pretty good timing though :)

WayneChristie
03-16-2010, 09:31 PM

Thanks Dark Aisling.

I had seen those too, only for 20 bucks less and had contemplated buying one, glad I didnt :D thanks technojunkie! I forgot about heaters, I bought a MR Heater tank top and used it a few times, works great, but sit too close and the steam turns to smoke. Visited BPS in Calgary on the way home from Gull gathering, and grabbed a little buddy for 100, 40 less than down my way. Love it, already had an adaptor hose so it provided a lot of warm fishing experiences. Id still like to try one of those adaptors for refilling the 1 pounders, easier to drag 2 or 3 of those around than my 10 pound tank. Picked up a sled from Crappy Tire also, fits perfectly sideways in my trunk, great for holding all the loose gear and hauling the necessities to the shak on thinner ice. I found a cover for it was invaluable, kept all the lighter gear (and sometimes the heavier) from blowing away in our lovely southern Alberta breezes. (Thanks again Shelley) Found the best accessory in the area was self tapping ice anchors, fortunately 8 of them came with my instashak, and some days I used all 8!

Kim473
03-17-2010, 05:33 AM
Bought a Hummingbird ice 45 flasher and love it. Get about two days out of battery, 50% more fish caught, sure helped me in fishing in holes where fish were actualy there. Could see if they were not there and not waste time in that hole. Could see when perch were there and a pike would come in and perch leave. Next year a camera, Thinking of fish tv 7" what do you think?

A tip Iv got, any one with a camera drill a hole behind you for your camera that way when fish come and go it easy to tell where they are going if your not in the exact place that they are. You may be able to move and get into a better spot where the fish are holding. Or a buddy move to another hole and get that monster that was not interested in your hook.

ULTRAlite
03-17-2010, 10:19 AM
I've used a fish cam for a few seasons now... If we get into fish in one particular spot, then I'll take the time to drill a separate hole, drop the camera, and get it properly positioned. Also a nice tool to have a look at the bottom structure if you're new to a lake or a spot. My issue is that it takes too much time. Nice thing with a flasher or finder is that it's just a few feet of cable and moving from hole to hole is easy.

AlbertaAngler
03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
I think next years purchase will be a sonar unit that you can use through the ice to check depth.

I have a portable similiar to ultralites, just older (pirhana max 10, or something like that). It will shoot through the ice and give me depths before I drill. In order to work it needs to contact the ice with no air pockets, I carry a water bottle with me, dump a little on the ice, set the transducer in it and you have a depth. It also has to be on fairly good ice, the only problem I've had is a bit of crust that once kicked away was fine.

I've also been able to see fish on it before drilling on rare occations.