PDA

View Full Version : info for fishing in veradero cuba?

Battery
03-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Hey guys been a while, me and the girlfriend are heading down to Varadero on the 27th, and I'm just wondering if anyone has fished there? I don't want to spend money on a guide or anything and would rather buy a cheap rod and some tackle down there, and fish from shore if possible, so any tips are greatly appreciated. Any other tips and things to do in Varadero are also welcome haha. :wave:

Battery

oagie
03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Wife and I went there last year for our 10th year anniversary. We never fished, but I wish I did so I can't supply any advice there.

One thing I will mention, Cuban's make extremely bland food. Do yourself a favor and pack some spices with you.

Enjoy your trip.

Okotokian
03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Ditto on the spices. pack some. You will be glad you did. even salt and pepper. I know some people who have had good food, but it seems 90% complain about the bland food.

I don't know about fishing on your own. Perhaps you can. I also wouldn't be surprised if the law said foregners are required to have a guide. I'd check it out. I always choose resorts that have sailing. Veradero was the only resort area I ever stayed at that required that I take a staff member (instructor/guard) sailing with me. Perhaps it was just that hotel. But at other hotels of that chain in Mexico I was allowed to sail alone.

I wouldn't gamble on finding a fishing rod and tackle in Cuba. It's really poor and most stores are half-empty. If you can fish alone take your gear with you.

Other things to do in Veradero? Rent scooters. It's cheap and fun. Just be very careful where you park. Some guys have this scam where they put up a little cardboard no-parking sign, then try to say they are government officials and that you owe a fine. I came upon a guy trying to do that to my wife. I was tempted to deck him. Also thought about just taking off, but who knows what connections he has? The "fine" was like $2 so I just paid him to avoid the hassle.

There is a double decker bus (no roof on second level) that runs up and down the main street for miles. Take it. Its' cheap and you get to see the town and the hotel strip.

There's a skydiving place right in town. Not sure I'd trust it.

One thing we did was take cheap little toys for kids. I just drove around on the scooter and handed them out to kids I saw on the street. They are pretty poor and loved it!

While we didn't do it, some people take school supplies and drop in on schools and give them to the teachers. I can absolutely believe they could use it.

We happened upon a local street festival in Veradero. Not a tourist thing but just for the locals. Roast pigs, etc. Very lively and interesting. One thing that was a little sad... one of the "amusements" was a little roped off area where kids could pay a penny or two and ride on little tricycles that looked like they were about 50 years old and recovered from a landfill. These kids looked so thrilled. It was obvious a bike was completely beyond what most of them could have.

Rent a car and go to Havana. It's an adventure. a good map would be really helpful ;). also patience as a lot of traffic lights don't work LOL

Battery
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
thanks guys, maybe ill leave the fishing alone this time and get more info on it while there for next time. I was actually warned against renting scooters or cars because if something happens you're Canadian and guilty before innocent, and Cuban jail isn't very appealing to me :lol: Also, i hear there is some caves in Varadero that you can go to, have you seen them or heard of them? That interests me greatly, so any info how to get there or anything or more info on the caves would be great. Also any other advice greatly appreciated.

Hunter Trav
03-17-2010, 11:51 AM
The caves are very close to the airport, I can't remember the name of them, but they are very cool. I believe they are the largest in Cuba. Most resorts will have tour packages to go and see them. I believe that the tour my wife and I went on was a jeep adventure tour, or something to that effect. We went snorkeling, wnet to the caves, went to another cave which is a big freshwater pool you get to swim in, and then we were taken out to an old plantation. The "jeeps" were actually little Geo tracker type units, and you are able to drive if you like. I did, and following our tour guides in the other jeep was a challenge to say the least, especially when we went through the city of Mantanzas, which is between Varadero and Havana. If your staying in Varadero, you probably won't go that way though. We stayed at Breezes Jibacoa, which is outside of Mantanzas, and kinda off on its own. Very good resort BTW. As far as fishing goes, can't really help you there, but a guy was fishing off the beach at our resort, and he brought his own gear from home. I swore then and there I would never go on another trip without bringing my own gear to fish with. Hope that helps.

oagie
03-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh ya. Don't bring a laptop. It will be confiscated.

seahawkfisher
03-17-2010, 05:52 PM
i brought my own gear and fished while i was there; bring some extra line and stuff for the locals and they will put you on the good spots. I also went fishing while on a snorkeling excursion - just talk nice to the guys running the boat and dont fish the side of the boat where the ppl are swimmming ;)

have fun out there and don't expect the same level of service you would from a comparable star-level resort you would in mexico and you will be fine. if you are into golf, bring your clubs and play the veradero course; it is well worth the money if you book at the course and play twilight (renting clubs costs about as much as the round hence my suggestion of bringing your own)

cheers

thorne
03-17-2010, 08:10 PM
did the fishing thing there...got squat, and thats the norm i found out after forking out the $700.00...oh well did have a great day on the water and got totally ****faced...so good day iin the end....actually I have found all that area pretty poor for good big game fish, such as jamaica, and the mexician carabian side. I you get more east into the lesser antillies it gets better, and also off the florida eastern coast. Also the pacific side form California down to Costa-Rica is good as well, so defiantely Save your fishing fund for a better location. Also in Cuba as everyone else can vouch for I am sure...be prepared to be bombarded with everyone trying to find any way they can to get you money...Found it the worst place for being hassled to buy there crap, or be sobbed into a handout...but its definatley a must see place, just to say you sat in front of a 1600's era spanish garrison, sipped some prime rum while slowy enjoying a Monte Cristo #5 that was just rolled....now thats the stuff baby!!!

BeerSlayer1
03-17-2010, 08:27 PM
I just got back from there.........loved it. Unlimited beer and rifle shooting at 3 pm, what a combo. I'll have more to add later but I've seen a lot of good advice here already.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00565-2.jpg

BeerSlayer1
03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Before anyone jumps on me for combining rifle shooting and beer I'll point out that the rifles at the Carabina (gun range) were only pellet guns.

Veradero is a peninsula with a highway (auto pista) running through the middle of it. The north side of the peninsula faces the ocean and has the beaches while the south side has many docks and marinas. I saw a number of people (locals) fishing from the docks in the marinas, many just used a line and a hook. You could probably walk up and ask someone to help you out. An offer of a few convertible pesos should help. We also saw a number of people fishing along the bay in Havana (picture below).

If you have a tour rep (ours was SunWing), ask them about the fishing rules etc. The rep should be stationed right in your hotel and be available for booking tours or giving advice every morning. Make friends (give a tip) with them, they have lots of good advice to give.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00223.jpg

We went on the jeep tour, it was great with lots to see. As others have said, take stuff (candy, gum, toys, money) to give to the children you see along the way, Cuban kids are incredibly cute. The jeep tour includes a trip through the back country, limestone mine, snorkeling in a coral reef in the ocean, diving in a cave (pics below), a visit to a farm and lunch, and a boat trip up a river near Matansas.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00370.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00343.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00339.jpg

The Havana tour was great, there's an incredible amount of history and architecture to be experienced there. Don't miss it, take the tour because your guide will have lots of information to share. To us, Pirates of the Caribbean means Johnny Depp but Havana is where the real pirates were. In the 1700's the entire city was surrounded by a wall and the gates were closed at 8 pm to keep out the pirates. If you ventured too far and got locked out, tough luck.

One of the big guns protecting Havana bay from pirates.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00154.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00219.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00238.jpg

As others have said, the hotel food is bland but the meals we had on our tours or in the restaurants we went to on our own was good. If you like chips, gum, or chocolate bars bring your own cause there's not much in Cuba. The Nestle ice cream is good just watch the prices. The beer is good but you only have the choice between Cristal (4.5% I think) and Bucanero (6.5%), I prefer the Cristal in a bottle.

The people you'll meet are very friendly and well educated, treat them with respect. Many of the servers have more university education than the guests they are serving.

You keep hearing that tipping is not required at the all-inclusives but if you make a point of shaking your waiter's (or bartender, games coordinator etc) hand, introducing yourself, telling him you'll be here all week and giving a decent tip they'll watch for you like a hawk and you'll have great service. By the end our stay we had made great friendships with our waiters. Here's a couple of our favorites.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00456.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00480.jpg

If you want to get around Veradero, 5$ will get you a bus pass that's good all day. Great value to just go up and down the strip. Check carefully if you rent a scooter, you may have NO INSURANCE.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/BEERSLAYER1_2008/DSC00734.jpg

Hunter Trav
03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Great pics, thanks for sharing them, sure brings back some good memories. Oh, and I preferred the Bucanero over the cristal myself...lol :D

rellum
03-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Just got back from Cuba, took my own spices, never had to use, food was great just stary away from the beef. They do not know how to prepare.
Would suggest you buy Legendario Rum (7 year old). Stuff is fantastic, drink straight do not use a mix.
Good luck and have fun.

BeerSlayer1
03-19-2010, 02:38 PM
If you want to feel like a big shot :evilgrin:, walk around (or sit back and relax) while smoking a Cohiba Esplindido. That's the cigar Castro smokes and one will set you back about twenty dollars Canadian (17 convertible Pesos).