PDA

View Full Version : Spin or Fly on the Bow?

5Weight
03-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi All,

I went to the Bow a couple days ago with my fly rod and didn't do so well. I've been fishing it for a few years now and have started to figure a few things out and usually do okay now. Like any fishing, I've had some spectacular days on the Bow, and I've had some duds. Took a number of trips to learn about the river though, and I know I've only scratched the surface...

Being determined to learn more about fly fishing with every trip, I have only taken my spinning gear to the Bow once (and caught a beauty of a brown on a Rapalla). All the other times, I've only taken the fly gear.

I know others spin fish the Bow regularly and must do well but I don't know. Here's my question:

Spin fishing or fly fishing the Bow? If you enjoy spin fishing, what types of lures do you use?

I'm going to try my luck with the spinning gear this afternoon. I think I'll pack some Rapallas, spinners, jigs, and a couple of spoons, and I think I'll try and target the slow deeper pools.

I'll post a report when I get home tonight.

Cheers,

5W

bubba 96
03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
We fish the bow always on spinning gear, the gear we use are 2 diffrent sizes 5 o diamonds, red and whites, black and white, we have had good luck with most len tompson spoons, and wholesale sports sells these spoons called crocodile spoons the work really well blue silver, brown trout replicas, not the croc spoons by gibbs, but the crocodile spoons by lur jensen..don't really use many rapala's but from what i'v heard then work well. and really any kind of spinners..Bubba

CanadianEh
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM
I am more of spinner fisherman myself... thought I am gearing up for fly fishing this year.

Personally i do not think you can go wrong with countdown trout patterns, or the good old standby Panther Martin 1/8oz spinner, yellow body with red dot, silver blade. you can go slightly lighter or heavier depending on the water conditions. but I have found that for my style the 1/8 oz works beautifully. you can feel it bounce on bottom occasionally yet not get stuck. deeper water might be worth while to use the next heavier one though.

Or there is a Panther with a straight silver body with silver blade dressed with yellow and red feather. that is a killer too. my wife and I float the bow quite a bit and have had 10-15 trout days with 10 or so mixed in whites. using exclusively those 2 lures. actually I have started to tie yellow or red feathers on most of my spinners for the bow.

I personally have not had as much luck with the darker colors gold with black etc... but im sure it has its time too.

I have heard buzz bombs work.... but I am a buzz newbie. tried a few times but didnt hit anything but snags.

http://www.panthermartin.com/lureFamily/jpg300/PMASRH_.jpg http://www.panthermartin.com/lureFamily/jpg300/PMRRH_S.jpg http://www.panthermartin.com/lureFamily/jpg300/PMD_S.jpg http://www.panthermartin.com/lureFamily/jpg300/PMF_SY.jpg

Scott N
03-17-2010, 11:09 AM
From my own observations, fly fishing the Bow is the most effective way to catch fish. A guy / gal might need a couple of different set ups (floating and sinking tip / sinking line), but I think the success rate is higher fly fishin than it is with spin gear.

CanadianEh
03-17-2010, 12:22 PM
From my own observations, fly fishing the Bow is the most effective way to catch fish. A guy / gal might need a couple of different set ups (floating and sinking tip / sinking line), but I think the success rate is higher fly fishin than it is with spin gear.

I would disagree with the above comment....Atleast in my experience. Without making a argument between fly vs spinner people. I believe it is what you are more comfortable with / better at... will work for you. I think that Fly fishing the bow will take alot more experience and technique to do successfully then spin fishing.

also quite often I can outfish my fly fisher buddies. which is why I have a hard time putting down the spinning gear in favour of a fly rod when I head to the bow.

in saying all that I am making an effort to do mostly fly fishing this year. :ashamed:

tacklerunner
03-17-2010, 01:17 PM
I think flyfishing is more challenging and more rewarding. But it is more difficult and will take more time and trial and error to perfect.

I've seen a fishing show where they we using Rapallas and they were landing 5 lb browns.

The first time I fished the bow 15 years ago I caught an 18 inch rainbow on the yellow panther martin with a silver blade. If I had to pick a fool proof lure for trout that would be the one. Otherwise, all the other lures mentioned are classics and obviously work as they've been around forever and continue to sell.

The crocodile is something I've used in lakes in BC for big rainbows for a long long time; trolling and casting. It must not be as popular out here but it definitely has a different action than most spoons. Big fan of the croc.

Gillfisher
03-17-2010, 05:23 PM
If you can find any deeper pools or slow moving water try a buzz bomb they can also be deadly.

Pretty much any color works and they all seem to work well usually the smaller ones are easier to use on a light rod & reel.

Gillfisher

jeprli
03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Depends what time of year you fish it, both techniques work as long as you know what you're doing, but there are certain times of year when either one has its advantage.

I prefer spin fishing, and lately I've been doing it with ultralight gear(bow,highwood,sheep and rivers as such) which is a lot of fun, getting a 25"+ trout on a 6' 1/16oz rod spooled with 4lb line is exhilarating. Not only am I fishing but I'm also running after fish :)

I think the best advice is to learn about rivers and where fish like to hang out, there are a lot of great books on this subject(even free copies on internet libraries). Get one and read it well, then go to the river and try to find/recognize places that hold fish, over time you'll become very comfortable with it.

WayneChristie
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
look for a video called the underwater world of trout. available at your favorite bit torrent site. it will open your eyes

Rovin
03-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Well, I've been at the Bow for the past 2 days fly fishing out of McKinnon Flats. I visited the local flyshop and picked up some so called "hot flies" and gotta tell you, got SKUNKED both days. I've spent the last few learning to fly fish the Bow. Sometimes I catch nice fish but most often I walk away with nothing. I keep thinking that I may go back to spinning.:mad3:

5Weight
03-18-2010, 09:18 AM
I also spent two days this week on the Bow. Monday and yesterday. I fly fished Monday and spin fished yesterday. I used all my go-to flies and the most popular spinners and spoons suggested by members, and I too was skunked. I put on a lot of kms walking too.

Very nice to be out in the warm weather though... I'll get 'em next time.

5W

notagoodtroutfisher
03-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, I've been at the Bow for the past 2 days fly fishing out of McKinnon Flats. I visited the local flyshop and picked up some so called "hot flies" and gotta tell you, got SKUNKED both days. I've spent the last few learning to fly fish the Bow. Sometimes I catch nice fish but most often I walk away with nothing. I keep thinking that I may go back to spinning.:mad3:

The rainbows are on the move before the spawn. you won't find too many in the good holes right now. There are still a few lerkin around, but they are startin to stack up to spawn

mistamikel
03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I do both fly and spin and cant catch anything but a cold! lol I still love the bow though :P

S.A.S
03-18-2010, 06:22 PM
I have fished the bow quite a few times and never caught anything. I also dont know where to go Hahah. Me and my buddy went on the southside of the bridge on 17th ave s.e and he caught a few pike. I went out to Mackinnons flats 7-8 yrs ago a few times and got skunked, went out by the campground 20 mins east of Yaha tinda and got skunked there to. Hard to find good fishing on the bow.

Fisher_man#1
03-18-2010, 06:38 PM
All spin fishers check out this link.http://www.bowriverblog.com/. Feel free to ask any questions to him for spots and lures.

All flyfishers should check out.http://flyfishcalgary.com. Feel free to contact anyone there it is just like this site except all about flyfishing, lots of good people there.

cheers