PDA

View Full Version : Blackett Lake access?

dave_ca
03-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know if its still possible to get into blackett lake with a truck??

lromanchuk
03-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes. Take the road that leads to Pinehurst, turn left into the bush right before the little bridge about 5 km from Pinehurst.

Bush trail is fine this year.

HerdBull
03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
At the risk of sounding contradictory lol, no, the road is not in good shape. It hasn't been for over a week. The first problem was the one hill was glazed right up into a skating rink. Now with melting and freezing every day and night its even worse, and there's some mud issues too. Tried to get in there in a truck the other day and I ended up backing all the way out. If you're not on a quad don't try it.

LacLaBicheNS
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I didn't know you could get into blackett by road.. Can you use the road in the summer and pull a 14ft aluminum with a truck?

Sooner
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
If I remember right access from the Pinhurst side crosses Helena lake so I dont think you can drive in to Blackett from there in the summer. From the Touchwood road side im not sure.

HerdBull
03-18-2010, 03:56 PM
From the south (pinehurst) you gotta cross Helena. Never been in from the Jackson side before.

kreator
03-18-2010, 04:28 PM
You cannot access the Lakeland Prov. Park lakes from the north side with a truck. There is an ATV trail and a hiking trail that is used for carting canoes. Both access points from the north have gates that prevent truck access.

You can access the lakes with a truck via the road that crosses Helena Lake. This trail starts a mile or two before the Blackett Lake staging area on the Pinehurst Lake road. Some guys have apparently gone straight to Blackett with a truck via the Blackett Lake trail that starts at the staging area, but I have no idea how. There are many narrow twists and turns, a narrow bridge, and a really steep hill. Here is a map I've posted a few times which shows all of this:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/pubsandmedia/maps/lakeland-map-web.pdf

Coltye
03-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey guys i just talked to my buddy the trapper today and he said the road in is now closed.Only access is by qaud trails.

Fish magnet
03-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Coltye is right . SRD had the gate welded shut the other day, never to be opened again.

scooternalberta
03-19-2010, 01:57 AM
my father n law met the wardens near the blackett ebtrance just last week and the warden told him that they were also fencing of the staging area on the south side of the road so people cant park there anymore,not sure if he was right but something we can all keep an eye on.

core laker
03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
NO, the gate accross the Helena Lake trail has been closed do to the poor road conditions. OHV access is still available at the staging area.

HerdBull
03-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Somebodys yankin yer chain there lol. I rode my 680 Rincon in on the Blackett lake trail back in early January. There was places where I had maybe an inch on either side of my tires. It would be physically impossible to get anything but a bike,quad or sled in on that trail. I would bet some of the side by sides would even have issues.

Boy I wish I had time to scoot in there before the ice goes.

You cannot access the Lakeland Prov. Park lakes from the north side with a truck. There is an ATV trail and a hiking trail that is used for carting canoes. Both access points from the north have gates that prevent truck access.

You can access the lakes with a truck via the road that crosses Helena Lake. This trail starts a mile or two before the Blackett Lake staging area on the Pinehurst Lake road. Some guys have apparently gone straight to Blackett with a truck via the Blackett Lake trail that starts at the staging area, but I have no idea how. There are many narrow twists and turns, a narrow bridge, and a really steep hill. Here is a map I've posted a few times which shows all of this:

http://www.albertaparks.ca/pubsandmedia/maps/lakeland-map-web.pdf

kreator
03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
Yeah, I didn't think so. I've gone down that trail with my quad lots of times but never really paid attention to whether or not a truck could actually make it through there.

sco22
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM
You would be pretty surprised what people will try with the right vehicles. 3 years ago before they put the second gate on the Jackson Lake trail, a little Ford Bronco II made it out on the ice. . .on December 29th. There was about a foot of ice. Unreal.

We were in Seibert and Spencer on the weekend. Lots of ice - right to the nuts on the auger. But the Seibert Road is a mess now. 2 weeks ago you could have driven a Mini in there.

Cheers.

kreator
03-22-2010, 02:44 PM
How was the fishing? Did you try Dabbs?

o.w.l
03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
my father n law met the wardens near the blackett ebtrance just last week and the warden told him that they were also fencing of the staging area on the south side of the road so people cant park there anymore,not sure if he was right but something we can all keep an eye on.

I went to Pinehurst on the weekend and the staging area on the south side is blocked off with a row of big rocks

o.w.l
03-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Somebodys yankin yer chain there lol. I rode my 680 Rincon in on the Blackett lake trail back in early January. There was places where I had maybe an inch on either side of my tires. It would be physically impossible to get anything but a bike,quad or sled in on that trail. I would bet some of the side by sides would even have issues.

Boy I wish I had time to scoot in there before the ice goes.

Yeah nothing wider than 5' is allowed on the trail. We went in early january to Kinniard with a Polaris Ranger and had about a 1/4 inch on each side the tires passing through the posts they drove to keep out wide vehicles.

sco22
03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Hey Kreator (sorry for the post highjack dave_ca),

The fishing was just so-so. We went a couple of weeks ago and did pretty well at Spencer. We ran in into some F&W along with RCMP and they were saying it was all small guys on Dabbs so we never made it.

From the 17th to the 22nd we were at Seibert and Spencer with a big group. At Seibert one guy caught a 41 inch Pike and we got a few walleye. At Spencer we caught a lot of walleye, but almost all around the 42-45 cm mark. Only 2 over 50 and just barely over. Still a fun trip. I am just waiting for pictures before I post a story.

Cheers.