PDA

View Full Version : Wab

jts1
03-18-2010, 11:18 AM
Is there really open water on Wab? If I drive 3 hrs with my pontoon boat am I going to get me a piker or two? Anyone looking for some fishing company up that way this weekend , or some tag along from down here that want an open water fix ?

FishBrain
03-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Nope, nope and Nope.
I think what you really mean is that you want to hit Spray with me on Sunday

YeeHaw
03-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Yes the bay around the town is open, I was there day before yesterday, never fished the open water, but there was ice till about fifty feet out. You could easly drag a canoe or smaller boat on the ice and get in off the dock. The slough sharks were slow, but managed to get a 17lb, and a 10 lb in the 8 hours we were fishing on the ice.

jts1
03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Never been up there. Want to try the new pontoon boat Any of you northern guys have a pontoon or something and are willing to float around with a poor southern boy and show him the ropes

iliketrout
03-18-2010, 12:43 PM
There was a lot of open water on the weekend of the 6th-7th, I can only imagine there is more now. You should hook into some nice ones.

Get in your boat at the boat launch in the town of Wabamun at the NE corner of the lake and head South West until you get to the warm water canal from the plant. We anchored about 100-150' from the discharge and fished directly in the current.

It's kind of tricky to find it the first time in the morning if you'r not familiar with the lake, because there is a lot of fog from the warm water and cold air.

Lots of guys fly fishing, one guy was getting dragged around the lake by a nice Jack LOL.

Here's a couple of my better ones and a half-arsed map.

flygirrl
03-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Never been up there. Want to try the new pontoon boat Any of you northern guys have a pontoon or something and are willing to float around with a poor southern boy and show him the ropes
:wave:Hey Jeff, just be careful when hooking pike in your new pontoon boat. if they throw the fly could mean trouble as in hole in pontoon.:lol::lol::lol:

jts1
03-18-2010, 01:15 PM
:wave:Hey Jeff, just be careful when hooking pike in your new pontoon boat. if they throw the fly could mean trouble as in hole in pontoon.:lol::lol::lol:

God wouldnt that suck. I may be fat but I sink like a rock.

Sandalius
03-18-2010, 03:13 PM
God wouldnt that suck. I may be fat but I sink like a rock.

I thought your indian name was - Floats like a stone :lol::lol:

flygirrl
03-18-2010, 06:05 PM
:wave:last year was the first time I fished for pike out of my pontoon boat. Down Wayne's way. In lake XXXXX. It was pretty intresting when you got them near the pontoons and they threw the hook. More often than not the hook bounced off the pontoons but it gave you a cheap thrill anyway. I was thinking of some kind of molded plastic you could fit over the front of the pontoons so the hook could not catch in the pontoon. Dont know if there is such a thing. Never did catch one on the fly rod there and I would imagine it would have made it more intresting to land it at the pontoons. I hate to carry a large net on the pontoon. I love the pontoon boat when Im fishing for trout and mostly use the big boat on the bigger lakes for pike. If the wind comes up on a big lake like Buck, Sylvan or Pigeon it would make for an intresting row. Im thinking that I may invest in a better pontoon boat this year and put my trolling motor on it. If anyone knows of a good brand for a pontoon boat than let me know. Mine are Water skeeters and they are out of business now. Ive had mine for 5 years and they have served me well but it is time to upgrade. Swivel seat, drink holders etc.:lol::lol::lol:

tonyflyfish
03-18-2010, 06:07 PM
. Ive had mine for 5 years and they have served me well but it is time to upgrade. Swivel seat, drink holders etc.

flygirrl
03-18-2010, 06:25 PM
. Ive had mine for 5 years and they have served me well but it is time to upgrade. Swivel seat, drink holders etc.
:lol:No, never enough for Timmy's. One on each side. Hey you two, if I can get the boat into Wab Im willing to meet up with you guys and drop it in. I dont know if the boat launch is clear of ice though.

tonyflyfish
03-18-2010, 06:28 PM
NO THE LAUNCH IS APPARENTLY STILL ICED UP. oOOPS! WITH THE CAPS

OK this is better-I heard parts of Stauffer are open year round-true?
we could meet somewhere central and............
damn I hate you two.
Abbey is packed and ready to go. She says "HI" to you Cathy

t

jts1
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
The guy I got this one off of had the bars on the top front of the pontoon cut and straightened out then re welded so they pushed down on the floats. In turn keeping you higher out of the water. As well he took off the seat and had a real boat seat thats a hell of a lot softer than them plastic jobs installed on it. Would not be hard to put a swivel seat on it great idea. I will be using it for Pike with the eclectic 30Lber on it I should be able to rip around a lake all day wind or not. So something that would prevent me from sticking a hook in the floats would be wonderful. Any ideas?? Lets go Tony |Im ready

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj253/jts1_album/4771fll_20.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj253/jts1_album/15242f_20.jpg

tonyflyfish
03-18-2010, 06:33 PM
a day trip central to a creek? Cathy is there any water over there?
I don't like
Wab at the best of times-to much arsenic
would do Stauffer-need to go get a haircut-research this and let me know
would have to be a day trip for me

t

flygirrl
03-18-2010, 06:43 PM
a day trip central to a creek? Cathy is there any water over there?
I don't like
Wab at the best of times-to much arsenic
would do Stauffer-need to go get a haircut-research this and let me know
would have to be a day trip for me

t
I will check out Stauffer tomorrow and see if it is open, As for the Clearwater it has open water but I think it dont open til may 1st. Need to read the regs. Thats the problem with most of these rivers here. They dont open until may 1st.
I would imagine the Red Deer river has open water below the dam but again I dont think its open. I need the regs...... As far a Wab goes DONT EAT THE FISH OR DRINK THE WATER>>>>> you"ll be alright...:lol::lol: I love Abbey too:love:

flygirrl
03-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Just looking at your pontoon boat Jst1. Have you had it in the water at all? The reason I ask is the seat is just like the one I bought last year for the pontoons. We took it down to Struble and tried it out and the seat sits so low, almost level with the pontoons that your butt got wet. The pontoons I have the seat is on risers that raises the seat up above the pontoons. So never wet butt..........