PDA

View Full Version : Zodiak ?? whats it worth??

RedFisher
03-19-2010, 10:38 PM
well i went to go look at a zodiak... not sure what model it is ... the vin plate read that it was a 1969 ... with a max load of 880 pounds... it comes with an old school 15 hp motor .... and gas tank.. its a 12 footer ....the only thing is that the motor hasnt been used or winterized for 4 years... what would be a good price for it... he said to make him an offer ...

hockey1099
03-20-2010, 12:03 AM
100-250?

CeeZee
03-20-2010, 06:14 AM
my 2 cents.

i would say about 500, but i wonder if that motor is too big for that boat anyways, i would check the motor plate or serial number plate on the boat to see. motors usually are almost 1oo bucks a hp, and if the boat is in good shape it has to be at least worth 200, so if it all makes sense i would say 500

RedFisher
03-20-2010, 09:36 AM
ok... yah the motor is pooched i think .. its only a 15 hp so i cant see it being to big but thanks i will check ... and as for price thats what i was thinking like the boat is in good shape with brand new wood in it... but i think the guy want like 1500 - 2000 for it.... so its probably a no go...

CeeZee
03-21-2010, 06:27 AM
lol ya a lil pricey heh, does he realize you can get a brand new one for 800? happy boat hunting and good luck!

Slannesh
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
a brand new 12' Zodiac for $800? Where?

My dad had one for years when we were growing up and unfortunately I rekindled my love of fishing a couple years after he let it go at a garage sale when my parents moved into a condo. I'm quite sure he paid probably 3 thousand for it in the late 80's

Even the show prices at the Sportsman show this weekend the cheapest Zodiac like boat (I don't recall the brand name offhand but it wasn't Zodiac) I saw was almost 3 grand and it was a super stripped basic model with no floor and just a board for a seat and was 10'

camshaft
03-21-2010, 04:25 PM
U wont be getting a Zodiac for sub $2000. I believe they're cheap "zoom" line probably goes for a couple grand for a 10ft.

U definately can get a solid inflatable 12ft for under $1400cdn to your door though. Just do some research and look at the inflatable dealers on-line

CeeZee
03-21-2010, 04:43 PM
sorry guys didnt mean a zodiak for 800

Little Valy
03-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I have a 2006 Zodiak Fish n Hunt and I paid $2700.00 for just the boat.
A 15 horse motor was another $2600.00
Awesome boat.Does about 55 kmh with 400 to 500 lbs on board.
Impossible to tip over.
Very stable,does not rock when standing to fly cast.
Will clear bottom in 6 inches of water(just have to lift motor)

floppychicken
03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
a brand new 12' Zodiac for $800? Where?

My dad had one for years when we were growing up and unfortunately I rekindled my love of fishing a couple years after he let it go at a garage sale when my parents moved into a condo. I'm quite sure he paid probably 3 thousand for it in the late 80's

Even the show prices at the Sportsman show this weekend the cheapest Zodiac like boat (I don't recall the brand name offhand but it wasn't Zodiac) I saw was almost 3 grand and it was a super stripped basic model with no floor and just a board for a seat and was 10'

X2 Here...

Zodiacs ARE REALLY EXPENSIVE. They're also GREAT BOATS and Although they ARE over-priced, there is NO WAY you'll find a New 12' footer for under 3 Grand ! I know a guy that sold his LATE last summer for $2200.00 and it was a 10 foot 2" Fastroller...(It was in Calgary Kijiji and Craigslist) and it was over 5 years old !

ZODIAC and ZEBEC = BIG BUCKS !

Cheers,

/J.....

howlin
03-21-2010, 11:37 PM
didnt redfisher say that it was a 1969 model .if thats the year then it must depreciate a bit no?

hockey1099
03-22-2010, 12:07 AM
didnt redfisher say that it was a 1969 model .if thats the year then it must depreciate a bit no?

He did. I m pretty sure that it didnt cost over a few hundred new. its 31 years old.

Kingfisher
03-22-2010, 12:18 AM
I am a long time owner of an inflateable, and I have certainly looked at many of them over the years and done some reasearch on them. I hope I can shed some light on just why the values of some boats are high and others are low. The materials they are made from is one of the main reasons. Also the construction of them is another concideration.

Some of the boats are made from Halypon and some are made from Upvc. The difference is not only in the durability of the boats but the strength and puncture resistance of them. Halypon is much, much stronger than the PVC. The life expectancy of a boat made with Halypon is 20 to 30 years. The life expectancy of PVC is 10 to 15.

There are lots of websites out there that you can get information on both products and comparisons. Here are a few. http://www.hotribs.com/02articles/059-tube-materials/inflatable-boat-tube-materials.asp
http://www.cast-aways.com/WHY.htm

There are plenty of sites comparing the two materials. I found a few graphics that show you exactally the difference.
http://www.hotribs.com/02articles/059-tube-materials/hypalon-tube-fabric.jpg
Hypalon Tube Fabric

http://www.hotribs.com/02articles/059-tube-materials/pvc-tube-fabric.jpg
uPVC Tube Fabric

Hypalon is more expensive to build and therefore more expensive to buy. But it will last longer and resist punctures. Are they worth the extra. You bet they are. They will last longer and be more durable. If you have the extra bucks to spend, then by all means buy a true Hypalon boat.

Are the PVC boats worth the money? Sure they are. They are cheaper and although they won't last as long. You can have many years of enjoyment from them.

I did a quick edit to add in a few other sites.
Here is a site that will sell you the boat made in either material. Of course the price varies depending on which material you choose. http://www.seabrightmarine.ca/index.html
Here is a site from a friend of mine who bought a PVC boat a few years ago. I just talked with him and he is still very happy with it. http://www.sharkinflatableboats.com/

Hope this helps clear up some misconceptions.
Rob

camshaft
03-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Hypalon's true benefits show if u live in extremely hot climate and will be leaving the boat inflated all/most of the time and it will be exposed to sunlight almost all of its life. Hypalon is far superior in terms of UV protection to that of PVC.

If not, and like most of us here in Alberta, your inflatable will not be constantly exposed to the sun (ie as a tender secured to the back of a yacht) u will likely not reap the benefits of a hypalon boat vs a pvc boat. If u store your boat indoors, or (like myself) inflate and deflate for each trip. A good quality pvc boat will serve u probably just as long.

Zulu9er
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I have a 2006 Zodiak Fish n Hunt and I paid $2700.00 for just the boat.
A 15 horse motor was another $2600.00
Awesome boat.Does about 55 kmh with 400 to 500 lbs on board.
Impossible to tip over.
Very stable,does not rock when standing to fly cast.
Will clear bottom in 6 inches of water(just have to lift motor)

I may have the same as you,, 14.5 Ft FishNHunt,, have a 20hp yamaha on mine,,, took out the front bench seat,,, and put a 12" pedestal stand with seat on the port side bow,, and the other pedestal seat is at the tiller end on the starboard side,, the back bench holds my portable fish finder and rod holder,, goes like a bat when up to full throttle, but I have to go slow and plane out over time until I can hit the gas. Great fishing boat,,, wear a raincoat in rough water,, but she'll handle what you give her.
But as far as the guy who's looking at the 1969 model,,, its probably got more patches on it than the Regimental condom of the 48th Highlanders,,,

Zulu9er
03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Hope this pic comes out,,,

troller
03-22-2010, 06:55 PM
its probably got more patches on it than the Regimental condom of the 48th Highlanders,,,

:lol: *snort*

Just when you thought you heard them all..thanks for the smile http://www3.telus.net/public/lswain1/Smilies/cheers.gif

Thanks for the info guys!! I'm looking at different kinds of boats right now myself :)

TexasTornado
03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
I bought my Zodiac in Calgary at http://www.automarine.ca/index.cfm?template=E78507D957DC971507C47BC91AED1A8 E. I got sick of lugging around the 15HP Yammy so i sold it. I was a sweet boat though but kind of a pain in the ***** to set up etc every time you go out, i never kept it inflated.