PDA

View Full Version : lowrance HDS structure scan system

thorne
03-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Looking at picking up one of these units with an HDS-7 unit, also want to interface it with my Evinrude E-TEC outboard. Just wondering if anyone else has done this or has ever seen/used one?

Of course sales reps say its all plug and play....but I have learned real lie experience usually says other wise.....

http://www.lowrance.com/StructureScan/

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/LowranceNET-Marine-Networking-System/Sample-LowranceNET-Marine-Network/

laker taker2
03-20-2010, 01:14 PM
I have the HDS 7, great unit. the structure scan was released after we had ice here so I doubt anyone has used it here yet. I heard they have stopped selling them due to a pending patent law suit with humminbird. not sure if its stopped selling, or stopped producing. it is $600.00 so it doesn't come cheap. if you plan to get the motor interface, use GPS and depthfinder with structure scan, you might find the 7 screen to small. with the 8 or 10 you get a bigger screen and quick set buttons that will allow you better access through all the functions. more expensive I know, but it might be a consideration. you have to download a new software update from the lowrance website on an SD memory card and upload it to the HDS before any navionics chips will read. You can also interface SIRIUS on them. very cool. I am thinking about getting an HDS 5 soley for GPS and lake mapping functions. I like to have the full screen image for the depth finder function alone. I have an older Global map unit, but its not color. how spolied we are now..........

fishing101
03-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Look at the humminbirds. You don't have to buy an extra transducers. Plus, they have had this technology a lot long. Also, you can downloader their new down imaging, and they also have a fish finder view. Nice thing it is all free. I notice out here all the guys are about lowarnce, but there is a better option for your dollar look at them and you will be impressed.

thorne
03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
I did look at hummingbird, and they use 2 transducers, 1 for side scan and one for down scan, also humming bird does not have canadian batametric maps, lowrance does, also lowrance has the motor interface feature..so for my money Lowrance has my vote....back to the patent thing...never heard anything about that...interesting though, also good point on the 2 monitors...was considering that as well...but again, when is enough enough...??? Gotta love toys!! Think I'll run with the 7 and feel it out for a season, then if I feel the need for an 8 or a 10 then someone on hear will get a good deal on a 7!

chad66
03-20-2010, 07:19 PM
Looking at picking up one of these units with an HDS-7 unit, also want to interface it with my Evinrude E-TEC outboard. Just wondering if anyone else has done this or has ever seen/used one?

Of course sales reps say its all plug and play....but I have learned real lie experience usually says other wise.....

http://www.lowrance.com/StructureScan/

http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/LowranceNET-Marine-Networking-System/Sample-LowranceNET-Marine-Network/

I have that exact unit, I purchased it last year. The GPS is awesome and the split screen is very nice. The screen is easy to see day or night. It is not interfaced with my inboard, nor do I have the Sirius radio set up. The enhanced software that is available showing detailed charts of lakes etc. is amazing IF you fish on the coast or in the USA. Otherwise, to the best of my knowledge, their is very little available software which covers Alberta lakes and streams. Not sure what the HDS 7 is selling for now, but I know what I paid, and in hindsight, given that I do not need the gauges, I would probably have gone a less expensive route.

thorne
03-21-2010, 10:29 AM
There has actually been extensive charting done of alberta lakes in the last year and the software is available for lowrance systems...I looked over a huge list of lakes available in alberta and its alot...I belive the fishing hole on 97th has the list....I was going to get a hummingbird side scan system last year, and I held out for lowrance to release these maps. Now I am really glad I did seeing all the expandability and interfacing the Lowrance systems are capable of...pertty cool that all I have to do is buy a $70.00 cable and plug it right into my motors computer interface and get real time motor preformance, efficency, fuel comsumption, water flow, temp, RPM, and alot more right on my screen and get HD side scanning and straight down sonar at the same time, split my screens any way...and I love the scroll back WP set features.....can't wait!! Come on Tax man get me my money!!!

chad66
03-21-2010, 10:59 AM
There has actually been extensive charting done of alberta lakes in the last year and the software is available for lowrance systems...I looked over a huge list of lakes available in alberta and its alot...I belive the fishing hole on 97th has the list....I was going to get a hummingbird side scan system last year, and I held out for lowrance to release these maps. Now I am really glad I did seeing all the expandability and interfacing the Lowrance systems are capable of...pertty cool that all I have to do is buy a $70.00 cable and plug it right into my motors computer interface and get real time motor preformance, efficency, fuel comsumption, water flow, temp, RPM, and alot more right on my screen and get HD side scanning and straight down sonar at the same time, split my screens any way...and I love the scroll back WP set features.....can't wait!! Come on Tax man get me my money!!!

:wave: Thanks for the update regarding the new charting. Since I have already invested the money perhaps I should see if I can get the unit to interface with my motor too.:)

thorne
03-21-2010, 12:56 PM
if you go online to the lowrance link I provided it will provide a list of interfacable motors as well as info displayed. must be NMEA 2000 compliant.