PDA

View Full Version : Newell today

WayneChristie
03-21-2010, 05:24 PM
I decided to try for my first whitefish thru the ice today. Beautiful sunny day, at least some of it, and not much wind. Saw one white go by down the hole, and 4 pike at different holes. I hooked 2 of the pike on my Marmish rod and wireworms, neither huge but lost both anyways. Has anyone else had much luck in Newell this winter for whites? I hear the whitefish fishery has gone downhill big time the last few years, anyone have any theories why this is? The ice was about a foot in the reeds near shore, and around 2 feet out a bit further. Not in great shape, its going pretty fast now.

flygirrl
03-21-2010, 07:07 PM
:lol:Well at least you got out to fish. I spent a lazy day at Bass pro Shop doing what I do best, buying more fishing gear...:tongue2:
As far as whites go, good luck with that. I have been trying to catch a white for 3 years now and cant seem to find them or be there when they are. So I give up. Tried wire worms, Wataskiwin lures, and everything else I could throw at them to no avail. To bad you cant catch them on a fly, then I would catch them for sure:evilgrin: Glad you had a nice day on the water and dont forget to let me know as soon as the ice is off badger or newell:cool:

Little Valy
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the best time for whitefish in the fall(sept,oct)
Years ago we use to go at that time to the Bow,Highwood,Sheep and couldn't keep them off our hooks.Also,if you go to Mcgregor in the fall,people are shoulder to shoulder on the dike on the north end and the whitefish are being caught left right and center all day long.
Not saying that thats the only good time to target them but isn't that the best time?

WayneChristie
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
The ones in the rivers are Rocky Mountain Whitefish. they spawn in the fall and are easily caught then, spent a lot of time fishing for them when I lived in Calgary. The ones Im after now are Lake whites, close but no cigar. I know thats what they are catching in the reservoirs, at the moment they should be eating fresh burbot caviar. My first attempt at catching these one thru the ice, but I will get better. I fished today with some old timers who have been catching them for 20 years plus, even they say the fishing in Newell for whites has gone way downhill in the last bit. Curious what sort of commercial netting goes on in this lake, I cant see it doing the fishery much good in any case. Checked the stomach contents from one, full of some sort of fish eggs and lots of snails. The fish eggs were close to hatching, big eyeballs easily seen in them so doubt if it was burb eggs, but I am probably wrong there.:D

cujo1969
03-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Newell has a comercial season in november 90500kg whitefish. Ithink they have comm fished this lake for yrs. Still one of the best pike and walleye lakes around.

Funfishing
03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Newell has a comercial season in november 90500kg whitefish. Ithink they have comm fished this lake for yrs. Still one of the best pike and walleye lakes around.

Yeah, I guess that's the reason. Same for big Mac. I used to catch limit in couple hours in big Mac, but now hardly 2 or 3 in a whole day.

mclean
03-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Lake Whitefish also spawn in the fall, Late sept. and oct. is the best time of the year to catch Lake Whitefish.

WayneChristie
03-22-2010, 05:59 PM
anyone else have/had good luck for whites at Newell this winter? how about size compared to other years?

tacklerunner
03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
:lol:Well at least you got out to fish. I spent a lazy day at Bass pro Shop doing what I do best, buying more fishing gear...:tongue2:
As far as whites go, good luck with that. I have been trying to catch a white for 3 years now and cant seem to find them or be there when they are. So I give up. Tried wire worms, Wataskiwin lures, and everything else I could throw at them to no avail. To bad you cant catch them on a fly, then I would catch them for sure:evilgrin: Glad you had a nice day on the water and dont forget to let me know as soon as the ice is off badger or newell:cool:

I've caught whitefish on a fly. :huh: On a Hellgramite type looking fly. It started of as an accident targeting Cutties and Bows. River whites though. Always in the spring. Honestly though it's not one of my targeted species but they can be fun to catch. Never was able to get a trout to take anything on those days though. :( I'd think they'd take flys in the lakes too. Anything looking like a grub or worm or scud or something like that. They're not picky eaters. I'd try maggots or mealworms if bait is allowed in the spring. They aren't overly aggressive I find but if you give them time, they'll eat.

I think I have an idea about what you guys are talking about regarding wire worms. Tip one with some bait and see if they'll take it. :)

My 2 cents.

WayneChristie
03-22-2010, 06:56 PM
only problem with baiting wireworms is that Newell is under a baitban now. The pike seem to like them tho. :D I am interested in any tips and techniques for whites in Newell also, Ive only ice fished for them the one time yesterday, and Id like to catch at least one before the ice is gone this year.

slingshotz
03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm by no means a whitefish expert but I've gathered quite a lot of information from other successful fisherpeople while on the lakes. What I've noticed is that the successful ones (and usually an old geezer that's fished for them for 20+ years) usually are using the bottom bouncing bell (like a treble hook with a silver body sinker on the shaft) or the wataskinwin/len thompson spoon jigging.

Lots of people have talked about the wireworms on the forums but I've yet to have any luck with it or seen anyone use it successfully. Not doubting that it doesn't work but that is just my observation.

Riggpigg
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Whitefish are a myth people!!!!!!!!! actually they are commercial fished heavily a couple of times each year. They tend to throw the walleye and pike back if they can. (I was told)I've only caught one white in the past 4 years. using small maggots with a flyrod at the bowslope canal.