PDA

View Full Version : Alberta fish slam ?

crazyfish
03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Has anyone caught all the "sportfish" in alberta ? I'm personaly a few short, but it's an interesting goal. My next thought was, " can i do it in one summer ?" Could it be done in a well planned week?

lake whites in summer, golden trout could be two harder ones . Thinking summer for the sturgeon before they migrate out !

Any thoughts, ideas, anyone tried it ?

Mike_W
03-22-2010, 10:58 AM
lake whites in summer, golden trout could be two harder ones .

Lake whites in summer may be tough but open water not really the fall is a great time to catch whitefish ...even from shore as this is there spawn.

So what would be on the list?

Walleye
Pike
Perch
Lake Whitefish
Mountain Whitefish
Burbot
Rainbow trout
Brook trout
Brown trout
Bull trout
Lake trout
Golden trout
Cutthroat trout
Sauger
Grayling
Sturgeon
Goldeye

Yeah I would say that would be a hard one to do in a week .....but in a entire open water season it would be possible.

Dougie55
03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Although not many around, should not leave out Saugeye or Mooneye.

BigRackLover
03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
What about Splake?

crazyfish
03-22-2010, 11:58 AM
The sauger, and moon eye, i think would be caught as incidental trying for sturgeon on the NSR or SSR. This would also probably get the walleyes, goldeyes and maybe pike and burbot as well . So if done right, theres 1 day, and potentially almost 1/3 of the list.

Another day down south on the bow or similar river , browns and rainbows, and rocky mtn whites.

A pack trip in for the golden trout. Are the cutts nearby here as well ?

A day around smoke lake you could get grayling on the little smoky, maybe a white fish in the lake as well as pike or walleye if not yet caught.

Head south towards hinton for some bull trout and Rockies if not yet caught !

A day out @ spray lake, or cold lake shoulld get a lake trout, the theres just the burbot to try and find, as well as clean up any loose ends !

I think if it was well thought out and a few good breaks, it could be done !

incept
03-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Awesome idea. I think this will be my next goal. I have already caught all but 3 or 4 species on the list however I think trying to accomplish it in one summer would be fantastic. We should get a list of intrested people and keep track of things and give each other a hand in locating hot bites and such.. Anyone in?

Erik
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Has anyone caught all the "sportfish" in alberta ? I'm personaly a few short, but it's an interesting goal. My next thought was, " can i do it in one summer ?" Could it be done in a well planned week?

Any thoughts, ideas, anyone tried it ?

This reminds me of the days that we would have daily limit tub-out derbies in the QCI:

4 salmon (2 chinook), 3 Ling Cod, 2 Hali, 5 Rockfish

Best I did was about 4 hours.

I think that Alberta limits could be done in a week. There is plenty of travel in between, but if you were determined you could do it in a week IMO.

thumper
03-22-2010, 03:17 PM
I've attempted an Icefields Parkway 'Grand Slam' in Banff and Jasper.
All in one day - and on one fly.
We got our rainbow, cutthroat, brook, bull, and rocky mountain whitefish - but the lakers in Bow Lake wouldn't take our pheasant-tail nymph!

the local angler
03-22-2010, 07:16 PM
in britian they have a 30 day challenge to catch all the game species and i am going to adopt the same senario and do that this year in 30 days catch all alberta game species like what you want to do. the only two species i have not caught yet is the golden trout and grayling. i think the golden trout is going to be a huge challenge to find.

crazyfish
03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
They (golden trout) only live in 2 or 3 lakes in AB and they are hike in....not hard to find, maybe hard to catch ? The lake whitefish in summer i believe could be the troublesome one ! I like the 30 day rule, makes it do-able on weekends! I honestly think the rest are just a matter of planning, and a bit of luck !

DuckBrat
03-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Finished the Alberta slam in 1999, now BC, then Canada and then I take over the world!

This includes an Island lake small mouth bass, my first. My photo album has a shot of each fish which I have stopped boring most folks with.

DuckBrat
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
The lake whitefish in summer i believe could be the troublesome one ! !

Troll nymphs in May and June at Gull lake. Prince, hares, pheasant tale on one leader and you'll connect, no problem.

Alex K
03-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I have yet to make it in after Golden, but one day perhaps I will get to them.
All others accounted for including Northern Dolly Varden from Chester Lake.

Alex Kreis

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I have yet to make it in after Golden, but one day perhaps I will get to them.
All others accounted for including Northern Dolly Varden from Chester Lake.

Alex Kreis

You can throw Quebec red trout and smallmouth bass into the Alberta mix as well..if you really want to make it challenging......those are the two I'm missing in Alberta.

McLeod
03-23-2010, 09:55 AM
You can throw Quebec red trout and smallmouth bass into the Alberta mix as well..if you really want to make it challenging......those are the two I'm missing in Alberta.

Smallmouth is may not even be possible so I would not consider that one.. but the Red trout is.. That one would be worth of a story..

crazyfish
03-23-2010, 10:26 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but i've never seen it listed or regs about it . Are they concentrated in only a few lakes , or have i just missed something? Could you send a pm if not wanting to say where they are on a public forum.

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but i've never seen it listed or regs about it . Are they concentrated in only a few lakes , or have i just missed something? Could you send a pm if not wanting to say where they are on a public forum.

As far as I know, Quebec Red Trout are only found in place in Banff.....Block Lakes. I've talked with two people that have made the trip in there and it's suppose to be grueling but the one fellow did hook one and it was spectacular looking. It's been on my bucket list ever since.

Smallmouth are supposedly still found in Island Lake but getting confirmation in the past few years is nearly impossible it seems.

Pierre
03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
What about
Yellowstone Cutthroats ?
Athabascan rainbow
Tiger
Steelhead
Arctic Char (not Dollies/bulls/brookies/lakers or splake)

They can all be found in Alberta:cool:

not sure if any Atlantic Salmon are still present in Miinnie though

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 12:52 PM
What about
Yellowstone Cutthroats ?
Athabascan rainbow
Tiger
Steelhead

Where can tiger, steelhead and Arctic char be found in Alberta?

I doubt you'd find any Atlantic salmon in Minnewanka. The last stocking was in 1963. The last Atlantic samon I heard of in Alberta were in Pyramid Lake in Jasper but I think they've long since disappeared as well.

There's been lots of species of fish dumped into Alberta lakes that no longer survive. Not sure who thought largemouth bass would survive in Minnewanka...lol

McLeod
03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
What about
Yellowstone Cutthroats ?
Athabascan rainbow
Tiger
Steelhead

Yellowstone cuts yes
Athabees yes..
Arctic Char ..some escaped into the Elbow..other places ?
Steelhead ?
Tigers ?

italk2u
03-23-2010, 01:26 PM
if you're including saugeye and splake, then you must include Cutbows as well.

Alex K
03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
As for some of the fish mentioned here is my thoughts.

Small Mouth (haven't seen any solid proof the still exist in Island Lake only here say without pics or proof)

Yellowstone Cutthroat (have landed many in Banff National park)

Atlantic Salmon (They were stocked in Minniwanka in the early 20's along with many other species that never took)

Athabasca Rainbows (Caught them while filming on the Kakwa River)

Arctic Char ( Other than the ones that got loose In Lott Creek from Allans Trout farm they don't exist. It was thought at one time the fish in Chester Lake were Arctic Char but they are in fact Northern Dolly Varden.

As for the Quebec Red Trout I forget what I discovered about them But I believe they are Northern Dollies, I will look into my research file again to figure that on out.

Tiger Trout (Have not heard of any place that they exist)

Steelhead (Well that one is interesting but if in fact as reported that the Rainbow in the Bow originated from wild Steelhead strains in BC I guess I caught those too) But to me they are'nt Steelhead unless they run to the Ocean)

Splake (perhaps I have caught those in Minniwanka,but not 100% sure about that one)Brought one to the Creel survey station at Minni that they said was a splake.

Just My thoughts

Alex Kreis

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
As for some of the fish mentioned here is my thoughts.

Small Mouth (haven't seen any solid proof the still exist in Island Lake only here say without pics or proof)

Yellowstone Cutthroat (have landed many in Banff National park)

Atlantic Salmon (They were stocked in Minniwanka in the early 20's along with many other species that never took)

Athabasca Rainbows (Caught them while filming on the Kakwa River)

Arctic Char ( Other than the ones that got loose In Lott Creek from Allans Trout farm they don't exist. It was thought at one time the fish in Chester Lake were Arctic Char but they are in fact Northern Dolly Varden.

As for the Quebec Red Trout I forget what I discovered about them But I believe they are Northern Dollies, I will look into my research file again to figure that on out.

Tiger Trout (Have not heard of any place that they exist)

Steelhead (Well that one is interesting but if in fact as reported that the Rainbow in the Bow originated from wild Steelhead strains in BC I guess I caught those too) But to me they are'nt Steelhead unless they run to the Ocean)

Splake (perhaps I have caught those in Minniwanka,but not 100% sure about that one)Brought one to the Creel survey station at Minni that they said was a splake.

Just My thoughts

Alex Kreis

I think you are bang on Alex except Atlantic salmon were stocked in the '60s and I think Quebec red trout are the real deal. If memory serves correctly, they are a a variety of Arctic char.

Alex K
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I meant early 60's for Atlantics and other species in Minniwanka

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I meant early 60's for Atlantics and other species in Minniwanka

LOL...the first stocking dates back to 1915 though.

crazyfish
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I came up with the thought this weekend while looking over some old regs, that included the map and species on it . Some of the stuff we found cleaning up some files and boxes after my dad had passed away. The idea was just that an idea. We looked over all the fish and she comented that i had caught all but 2 or 3. She said cool lets get those and then start again. Make of it what you like. The list was just the sportfish, if you want to split hairs and add every variant thats your choice, but it was more of a fun thought for the summer, or try a crazy week, or as suggested a month. Make it what you like and enjoy, but trying new species and areas is usually fun . So enjoy it for what it's worth and have fun !

McLeod
03-23-2010, 01:46 PM
I think you are bang on Alex except Atlantic salmon were stocked in the '60s and I think Quebec red trout are the real deal. If memory serves correctly, they are a a variety of Arctic char.

There are Quebec Red Trout in Alberta today..Fact... they are there OWN
sub species... Yes related to Arctic Char..

There are Splake in Alberta today ..Fact..

Atlantic Salmon were also stocked in Jasper National Park in the sixties
none left..

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
There are Quebec Red Trout in Alberta today..Fact... they are there OWN
sub species... Yes related to Arctic Char..

There are Splake in Alberta today ..Fact..

Atlantic Salmon were also stocked in Jasper National Park in the sixties
none left..

Coho and kokanee were also stocked in Alberta at one time.

Just curious where splake still exist.

the holster
03-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Lake Agnes, a beautiful alpine lake in a hanging valley above Lake Louise. It is illegal to fish for these.
the holster

McLeod
03-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Lake Agnes, a beautiful alpine lake in a hanging valley above Lake Louise. It is illegal to fish for these.
the holster

Again I don't see the logic especially wehn a gfew years ago parks was erady to poison every lake to eliminate exotics

crazyfish
03-23-2010, 04:37 PM
the holster

I guess that if you can't legally fish for them that we wouldn't want to put it on the list ?:rolleyes:

Makes me want to look into a few other things/ places and see all of what else has been tried for stocking !

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I guess that if you can't legally fish for them that we wouldn't want to put it on the list ?:rolleyes:

!

LOL, I was kind of thinking the same thing.

If you can ever find a copy of "the Fishes of Alberta", there is some great info on many of the bizzare stocking attempts in Alberta.

Quebec Red Trout do exist and can be fished for as can Northern Dolly Varden so I guess they could be on the list. Mooneye are another for sure. The rumours regarding smallmouth are persistent but there hasn't been any recent evidence that I've seen but I guess it is a possibility.

DuckBrat
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
If you want some good info on this subject dig up some old articles from the nineties written by Kyle Mcneily. Alberta trout updates provided me with all the info to make trips for all of these trout/char species being talked about. He was the best writer that magazine ever saw. I have heard folks run into him from time to time on the trails but I have yet to be honored by his presence. I believe in 1988 he ran a story about this exact topic (trout/char in Alberta) it is the blue cover with the nice brookie on the front. A very informative piece, I'd love to scan it for you but I think there would be copywrite issues.

One more twist, try catching all the species on the Fly-rod over a summer.

crazyfish
03-24-2010, 09:39 AM
i would love to watch someone try and land a big sturgeon on a fly rod ! :lol:

That would be something for the photo album, what fly would you suggest that we try ? Not sure if i've ever heard of anyone even trying to catch one with a flyrod.

DuckBrat
03-24-2010, 11:48 AM
It can be done. There was a small inconspicuous thread on it last summer started by a guy who had said he had caught one. Apparently his method worked as I landed a juvenile sturgeon on my 9 weight in August. Need lots of patience and a good spot. Search it, very interesting.

packhuntr
03-25-2010, 05:33 AM
Dont forget to put catfish on the list. Theres only 1 river in Alberta that has them, but have them we do.

DuckBrat
03-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Yay milk river! Stone cats.

the local angler
03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
interesting but since the stone cats is not on the alberta game species what would be the regs on them? like limits and keepable sizes, etc...?never tried cat fish before.

DuckBrat
03-25-2010, 12:00 PM
They are not considered a game fish so they are not regulated as such. Keep in mind the stone cats are not populous and rarely exceed 10" in Alberta.

http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_AFCKA02070.aspx

crazyfish
03-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I think the catfish wouldn't make my list, not listed as a sportfish, and not the best odds of getting one. Personal choice, but not for my list !

McLeod
03-25-2010, 02:43 PM

Makes me want to look into a few other things/ places and see all of what else has been tried for stocking !

There are still splake in Alberta. Of the few people that know where they are , the chances of them telling you where are slim and none and slim might just have left town...

sheephunter
03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
There are still splake in Alberta. Of the few people that know where they are , the chances of them telling you where are slim and none and slim might just have left town...

LOL.....I'd like to see some proof. Seems stocking of them ended in the 60s and Agnes is the only lake that shows recorded successful natural reproduction that I'm aware of.

DuckBrat
03-25-2010, 03:21 PM
FYI

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/200080.html

Seems like it is quite difficult to tell them apart from lakers.

Also are there any confirmations that the Lake agnes fish reproduce as I cut and paste this tidbit form wikipedia.

"The only known natural reproduction has occurred in 5 lakes in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada and, in each case, only a handful of progeny were produced. "

sheephunter
03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
FYI

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/200080.html

Seems like it is quite difficult to tell them apart from lakers.

Also are there any confirmations that the Lake agnes fish reproduce as I cut and paste this tidbit form wikipedia.

"The only known natural reproduction has occurred in 5 lakes in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada and, in each case, only a handful of progeny were produced. "

Nelson and Paetz say they have reproduced for several generations in Agnes so that's good enough for me. I'd tend to believe them over Wiki.....

McLeod
03-25-2010, 04:00 PM
LOL.....I'd like to see some proof. Seems stocking of them ended in the 60s and Agnes is the only lake that shows recorded successful natural reproduction that I'm aware of.

I am sure someone could take to one of those spots but then they would have to kill you after to keep it a secret and we enjoy your writings so I would not want to see that. LOL

But I am sure a picture could be made available sometime this year.

sheephunter
03-25-2010, 04:04 PM
I am sure someone could take to one of those spots but then they would have to kill you after to keep it a secret and we enjoy your writings so I would not want to see that. LOL

But I am sure a picture could be made available sometime this year.

LOL...I'd settle for a picture...with that day's newspaper beside it...lol

I guess it's possible they exist outside of Agnes but I sure haven't been able to track anything concrete down from conversations with biologists and anglers that enjoy hunting rare Alberta fish. Cross the border into Saskatchewan now, and you'll find all kinds of them.

DuckBrat
03-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Nelson and Paetz?? Fishes of Alberta?

sheephunter
03-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Nelson and Paetz?? Fishes of Alberta?

Yup

crazyfish
03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
read that they also stocked them in emerson lake around edson. Also many moons ago !

crazyfish
03-25-2010, 04:51 PM
they also tried smallies , north of smoky lake town, in island lake, even introduced crayfish to try and help them have a better food source. Both seemed to have been unsuccessful.

HerdBull
03-25-2010, 04:58 PM
A year or two into my new career as a fishing guide 10 years ago, I decided to try and catch every fish classified as an Alberta Game Fish in one calender year, Jan 1 to Dec. 31. Let me tell you, its a hell of a task lol. The first year I missed it by a Sauger and a goldeye. The next year I got em all thanks to an uncle that is a pro on the NSR lol. The Golden Trout was an awesome trip with some close encounters with Grizzlies, the sturgeon was boring as hell down south, just about everything else was a pretty normal day of fishin within a couple hrs of calgary. The brookie was a bit of a bitch tho, think that one cost me about $500 before I finally got him lol. I think the only fair way to do it is to use the Sport Fish of Alberta list. There's a ton of cross breeds and legends out there, but this is the only hard proven list we have

DANOMAN
03-25-2010, 05:29 PM
you can get quebec red trout in the james river along the forestry trunk road was about 5 yrs ago since i've been there but they do exist!:cool:

McLeod
03-26-2010, 07:43 AM
you can get quebec red trout in the james river along the forestry trunk road was about 5 yrs ago since i've been there but they do exist!:cool:

I would like to see that because to my knowledge Quebecs were only ever handed over to the bio's at National parks.

McLeod
03-26-2010, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=sheephunter;545537]LOL...I'd settle for a picture...with that day's newspaper beside it...lol

That could be do able...

Fishfinder
03-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Time n money. Only two things suppressing all of us from being Albertan slammers ( o ya...and the wife and/or Gfriend). Unless u got the right one. (Congrads Jeff n better half:D)

Let's make it a challenge...I know I will not win...but u Northern folk, could do the sweep??

Mr. Stang. Mr. Hillbilly:D. BBJ. JTS, and the many others that could outfish me in a half hr.. I know this is an offer u cannot refuse?? Heck I would love to c somebody do the "Slam".... Tuff task. Reel fisherpeople need only apply:lol::lol::lol:
Down south here, we are limited...to 5ft sturg(so far) n Walters to die for:)

Alex K
03-26-2010, 09:02 AM
As for the Splake discussion, supposedly they still exist in Minniwanka. Now I won't profess to having positively identify them but as I said in my earlier post I did have one Laker I kept that did look a slight bit different from the others I had that day. It so happened that on that day a Biologist was at their creel survey booth and he claimed that the fish was in fact a splake. Personally it just looked like another laker to me so not sure.

Now I have collected many books on fish over the years including Fishes of Alberta and also several books specific to Trout Species.

Here Is a little info from one of them on the Quebec Red Trout and Golden Trout I found quite interesting. It is from information put together by Robert J Behnke one of the foremest authorities on Trout species.

He talks about a relict Arctic Char which is known to occur in lakes in Southern Quebec commonly known as the Quebec Red trout as being given the name Salvelinus Marstoni in 1893.
In more recent times, he and other icthyologists have reviewed studies of relict Arctic Char. They all concur that there are no consistent differences in taxonomy between the Sunappee Golden Trout, Blueback Trout, and the Quebec Red Trout. They went on to say that they should all be classified under one subspeciesof Arctic Char. Under that rules of Taxonomy when 2 or more species or sub species are combined into one the oldest name is to be used. Therefore they are all classified as Salvelinus alpinus oquassa.

So there you go Goldens and Quebec Red Trout are in fact the same subspecies of Arctic Char.

But back to the original question could you do all in one week. I think it would need to be more like a total season only because some fish are easier caught in certain times of the year. Take Burbot for instance, if you were to hit any location just at ice out you may still have a chance but this fish is a very cold species fish and getting them in open water is very difficult. Very early spring or fall still doable but better chance ice fishing. I could go down through every species but, they all have a prime time to fish for them that will increase chances of success.
So if you started in spring right through to fall and timed everything right it could be done

Just my thoughts

Best regards and good fishing

Alex Kreis

sheephunter
03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
So there you go Goldens and Quebec Red Trout are in fact the same subspecies of Arctic Char.

The Golden trout we have in Alberta aren't a char...they are a subspecies of rainbow trout. I'm not sure what a Sunappee Golden Trout is but it's not the golden trout we have in Alberta.

McLeod
03-26-2010, 10:38 AM
The Golden trout we have in Alberta aren't a char...they are a subspecies of rainbow trout. I'm not sure what a Sunappee Golden Trout is but it's not the golden trout we have in Alberta.

You are correct..

Golden trout are native to the Sierra Nevada mountain ranges of California. While their range has been expanded internationally to Canada, Europe, and Africa through stocking, populations have declined in their native range due to over-fishing, habitat change, and hybridization with introduced species. There are several programs and agencies dedicated to golden trout restoration projects in the USA.

Alberta's golden trout are likely the most northerly population in existence. Alberta's golden trout were obtained through international agreement with the USA in the 1950s and 70s. However, it's unlikely that we will be able to get more, and the few lakes with goldens in Alberta are probably all that we will ever have. Hence, these have become both our brood stock and recreation fishery. As more people pursue golden trout careful management and planning will be required to ensure their long-term viability.

Golden trout were originally stocked in Alberta in 1959 in Barnaby and Rainy Ridge Lakes. In 1977,1100 to 1900 golden trout juveniles of 6cm length were introduced into Michele, Coral, and Lost Guide Lakes. Angling closures were implemented for several years to allow the populations to gain a foothold. Eventually, follow-up studies in 1980 through 1982 showed successful plants had occurred. However, the users of the horse trails past Lost Guide Lake had the lake fished out completely before it was even open to legal fishing, and no golden trout exist there today.

There was aslo an attempt to stock Goldens in Jasper...
There are no Goldens in BC they say but...