PDA

View Full Version : dodge deth wobble?

hb hunter
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
has anyone herd of this? i have a 2006 dodge 1500 mega cab with 70,000kms on it. last week the truck started to shake when driving 100 km/hr, and hitting small bumps in the road will throw the trucks front end into an out of controll bounce untill slowed down. its booked in for service this week and this problem could include everything from the steering dampner to the ball joints. seems like a lot of cash and a major hazard for no dodge recall?

Springer
03-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I have a friend who had the same problem with his 06 at 60,000. Are you sure theres no mud caked up on the inside of your rims ? That can throw your tire balance out.

spot and stock
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
same thing with my 05 3500 railroad tracks were a death sentance.

Tracker34
03-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I had that happen to me with my '95 GMC. Felt like it was going to throw the truck right off the road. Ended up getting new ball joints.

addictedtohunting
03-22-2010, 11:15 AM
My 07 dodge had this same thing, got the strut shocks replaced and again 6 months later. handles much better now. apparently dodge changed there suspension design in the last few years cuz of this.

outlaw'd
03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Went through the same thing with my '05. There is a replacement steering "fix" you can buy from Dodge. It runs about $ 550. I replaced my shocks all the way around and that made a big difference as well. Now the truck has no issues at all other than the wife's finger marks buried into the dash..........

gunslinger
03-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Went through the same thing with my '05. There is a replacement steering "fix" you can buy from Dodge. It runs about $ 550. I replaced my shocks all the way around and that made a big difference as well. Now the truck has no issues at all other than the wife's finger marks buried into the dash..........

ahhahah thats funny man,mine tends to dig in a little too at times

hb hunter
03-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a friend who had the same problem with his 06 at 60,000. Are you sure theres no mud caked up on the inside of your rims ? That can throw your tire balance out.

i was under the truck yesterday and it all look clean. i only drive the truck once a week if that and it hasent seen a dirt road sence last fall.

Rob Miskosky
03-22-2010, 11:26 AM
has anyone herd of this? i have a 2006 dodge 1500 mega cab with 70,000kms on it. last week the truck started to shake when driving 100 km/hr, and hitting small bumps in the road will throw the trucks front end into an out of controll bounce untill slowed down. its booked in for service this week and this problem could include everything from the steering dampner to the ball joints. seems like a lot of cash and a major hazard for no dodge recall?

Do you have a lift on your truck?

My 2004 started doing the "Speed Bump Death Wobble" shortly after I had it lifted. End result was a new steering block, heavy-duty shocks, a steering block stabalizer, the front tires had to be toed-in a certain degree (camber?) and a couple of other items I can't quite recall. All in all it was about $2500.00. Needless to say I wasn't impressed, but it all seems to be working fine now. It's pretty scary when the truck goes into the death wobble though - the name says it all!

skidderman
03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
Heard from a guy at Pat's Driveline that the driveshafts are a real problem on the diesels but maybe it goes for gas as well. He said they switch them to aluminium driveshafts and the vibration goes away. No idea if this is the case in yours but was told this is a chronic problem with Dodge.

Rob Miskosky
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
It's a heck of a lot more than a vibration. When it happens, you're best to have everything inside the cab tied down. Scary stuff!

Rigg dogg
03-22-2010, 11:51 AM
That name decribes it perfectly!!!

Had the same thing in my 02. Replaced the Track Bar and installed a dual steering stabalizer kit from Rancho.

Seemed to cure the problem.

Brock1
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
note to self: dont buy a 02-07 dodge!!!! ever . haha!!:lol:

Acadienflyfish
03-22-2010, 12:34 PM
ya just stay away from dodge :lol::lol:

jayb22
03-22-2010, 12:45 PM
This is a common problem with the dodge trucks. It usually happens to people with a levelling kit on their truck. When you level the dodges it throws the suspension geometry out of wack so you need to put a adjustable track bar on the adjust your wheels to make everything how it should be. If this isn't the case with you check your front end parts. Dodge is bad for ball joints and tie rod ends. I have a 04 2500 and had to do mine at around 130,000k.

gwh12
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
That's why you should buy a ford

dgl1948
03-22-2010, 12:57 PM
They have been known to have steering box problems because the steering box was not supported properly. A fellow in Weyburn Sask. patented a fix for this. His product is sold all over Nothe America. Here is a link.

http://www.solidsteel.ca/

Another thing known to cause this is if the truck had BF Goodrich tires. Apparently there was a problem between the surface of the tire and the sidewall after a good deal of wear.

DBP
03-22-2010, 01:18 PM
I have the same problem with my '09 dodge, but they cant figure out whats wrong with it. Frost heaves and train tracks are wicked.

fordtruckin
03-22-2010, 01:59 PM

I had this happen with a 95 Ford. Turned out to be the U joints...

Lantzd
03-22-2010, 05:34 PM

I had the death wobble on my 03 3500 with a 9" lift, i was in norman wells working and couldnt get it in for someone to take a look at it and i ended up rolling and writting it off, dealership said its more common on the cummins rather then the hemis casue of the heavy front end and the cause was due to a worn out front end. Pretty bad when dodge has a Name for this and no saftey recalls of some sort

Rust
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Had the wobble on my 2000 diesel. Replaced the steering box, added a steering stabilizer, replaced the steering shock and didn't help it out hardly at all. Ended up being a rubber bushing on the end of the track bar, so my front end would move side to side over the front axle.

guywiththemule
03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
My 08 Dodge dually pulled this garbage down in south USA. Actually scared me ! Felt like high speed wobble on a motorbike. New ball joints and alignment when I got back; Cured it.

Iron Brew
03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
87 GMC 3/4 ton, 94 dodge 3/4 ton. Scares the bejeezus out of you. Do a search on the dodge truck forums. There are fixes...

surhuntsalot
03-22-2010, 07:55 PM

Check out the dealerships in Bonnyville... At least 6 service bay doors at the Ford dealership (with a sign sayin "Open 24 Hrs...):ashamed:... Only 1 service bay door needed on the Dodge dealership... That in itself tells me something...:D

trophyboy
03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Sounds like the steering dampener. I had the same problem. Truck shook VIOLENTLY when I hit a very small bump @ 100km/hr+. Had that changed and works fine now. That was 2009 Dodge but heard it was happening on earlier models as well. Not good when it happens, I nearly filled my kilt the first time!

ram crazy
03-22-2010, 08:14 PM

It sounds like the track bar needs to be replaced.

MTWALLET
03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
It sounds like the track bar needs to be replaced.

There are two different track bars, one with a tie rod end type of knuckle(bad, always wears out) and one with a bolt instead(never wears out)

shelldrake
03-22-2010, 11:11 PM
I have an '03 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel. Had it in last summer at 130,000 km to replace the front-end upper and lower ball joints. It started doing the wobble AFTER they were replaced. Took it back in and had them replace the steering stabilizer - cost me $90.00 and completely solved the problem. The front end is tight once more and no wobble whatsoever. Turns out the steering stabilizer was seized up and not functioning properly. You might want to check out the stabilizer before having the ball joints done. As well, I would caution you about going to a Dodge dealership to have your work done unless you've found one you can trust. I've been to three different ones now and have either been over-charged or gone to pick my truck up after being told it was ready, only to find that it wasn't. Twice I had to take it back so they could finish the work they hadn't done the first time it was in. My last time into the dealership they quoted me over $1,400 to do just the lower ball joints ($700 for Dodge OEM parts alone) on the truck. I went to a local garage recommended by a friend and had them do the upper and lower joints (turns out both needed to be swapped out) with MOOG parts (that are guaranteed for life) for $1,000. Can't imagine what it would have cost me if I'd gone to the dealership, and how many trips to see them it would have taken to figure out the issue was with the steering stabilizer. Good luck with your truck and hope you're able to get rid of that wobble.

hb hunter
03-23-2010, 09:43 AM
just got a call from sherwood dodge and i was told some part of the steering is siezed and its going to cost a couple hours to to find the damaged part. at $130.00 an hour its going to add up plus parts and re assemble? this is not a good thing. i bought the truck 6 months ago from derrick dodge used truck centre for $33,000.000 with a clean bill of health. in 6 months the t.i.p.m. module went, ($1,400.00) the multi function switch ($300.00) a/c fan motor (?) price un known and the drivers seat feels like a rocking chair. other then that i cant here my self think for engine lifter noise. derrick dodge cant help me out on anything at all? this truck is not driven every day and was intended for my wife to drive in town and a little recreational use. this seems like a lot of cash to invest in to a truck, i could have rented a truck for 6 months for less cash.

ACKLEY ABE
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Check out the dealerships in Bonnyville... At least 6 service bay doors at the Ford dealership (with a sign sayin "Open 24 Hrs...):ashamed:... Only 1 service bay door needed on the Dodge dealership... That in itself tells me something...:D

Yip tells ya that Dodge don't care. I won't deal with the dealership that I bought my Jeep from. They work when THEY want, not when you need them. I will get no service done by the dealership.

High_N_Wide
03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
The shaking and jumping is symptom of a larger problem,

that being it is a Dodge.:lol:

My Chevy's got 344,000 and still riding as smooth as the day I bought her!

Ivo
03-23-2010, 10:45 PM
********TO ANYONE THAT HAS THIS PROBLEM AND YOUR TRUCK IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY****************

I have an 07 3500 diesel and had the same problem you have all had with the DEATH WOBBLE. I almost died going over the Calf Robe bridge in Calgary. I was so pi$$ed off after that I went to the dealership and tore a new A-hole into anyone within an earshot.
After my rant they took the truck in and told me I needed new shocks all around as well as a new steering stabilizer and the steering upgrade that they know they HAVE to change because it is defective. They told me they changed the front shocks but had to wait for the other parts for a week and they would rebook me as soon as the parts showed up and I could take my truck home and bring it back then.
HERES WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING...
I told them I wanted a letter from the dealership saying that the truck was safe to drive till they replaced the parts... I had a rental truck at the door within 15 minutes that I kept for 10 days while they waited for parts and worked on my truck after they showed up.
DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER FROM THE DEALERSHIP, YOU COULD DIE DRIVING A TRUCK IN THAT CONDITION.
I don't mean to sound alarmist but the dealerships have a responsibility and need to live up to it.

Ivo

RUM
03-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I actually received a recall notice for my 07 2500 last summer for the steering issue.... I just assumed it was for the 09 that I had just bought at the time, so naturally I booked it in. When I got there they told me that the 09's were fine, and the recall was actually for the old truck.... but now I am wondering how resolved the problem really is from 07??? Knock on wood, no issues so far.

Is this kind of like the "Nobody works, nobody gets hurt" mentality!?!?

rhuntley12
03-24-2010, 07:27 AM
My dodge shook a lot especially when I hit 100KM. Turned out it was the drive shaft was about to fall off.

dodger
03-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Funny how this was brought up as I have seen several Dodge trucks do this over the last month. When leaving the Foothills industrial park the overpass to Deerfoot South has a bump on the bend. When I have seen the Dodge trucks hit this at 70/kmh there front end goes into the death wobble. I have seen it on old and brand new ones. It is a scary sight to witness.
Dodger.

Iron Brew
03-24-2010, 04:45 PM
I test my trucks by driving eastbound over the train overpass on 16A between Spruce Grove and Edmonton. Was the best way to get a live axle truck going... Then I know it is time to get some stuff fixed...

I could go GM, but I like the live axle, and I like the Cummins...

PoppaW
03-25-2010, 03:41 AM
I had an old ford do it once. New shocks were needed. My 05 dodge did it and found the steering stabilizer shock had leaked. Replaced that and its been good. I have a heavy duty stabilizer to put on just in case as I don't want to find out the hard way the old one is pooched.

sageone
03-25-2010, 06:14 AM
I had a Stock 2004 3/4 ton Dodge that would go into the death wobble in the same spot on hwy 16, 50 km east of Edson. There were some small close together frost heaves that would start the wobble and nearly throw me of the road.
It was low tire pressure. I was running around 40 psi (Neglect on my part)

I increased my tire pressure to 60 psi and it never happened again. The low pressure seemed to give it the extra bit of bounce to start it hopping.

No parts required. Just add air.

600twin
03-25-2010, 07:15 AM
A friend of mine has a 06 (i think) 1 ton Cummins and he went through numerous dealers across Canada to try and fix it ,one even switched out the entire front end off a donor truck, went with different track bar ,steering box brace etc , the biggest thing happened when he switched out the BFG tires, his truck has a lift also. Anyway it cost him a fortune to fix it.
I had a 1/2 rented last yr with only 5k on it and it was stock truck and it had the wobble at 110 km/hr , wasn't as bad as his but wasn't inpressed for a new truck.

hb hunter
03-25-2010, 07:33 AM
the fine people at sherwood dodge found the problem! ball joints and a new track arm!! installed for the low cost of $2,996.58 what a deal. so i looked up
the price of these parts from another dealer.
ball joints $309.99 per side
track arm (no tie rods) $289.99
grand total $909.97

only $2,086.61 for labour!!!

after talking to several other shops dodge should have at least gave me a kiss on the cheek befroe this bill.

Bearrunner
01-25-2014, 05:24 AM
just got a call from sherwood dodge and i was told some part of the steering is siezed and its going to cost a couple hours to to find the damaged part. at $130.00 an hour its going to add up plus parts and re assemble? this is not a good thing. i bought the truck 6 months ago from derrick dodge used truck centre for $33,000.000 with a clean bill of health. in 6 months the t.i.p.m. module went, ($1,400.00) the multi function switch ($300.00) a/c fan motor (?) price un known and the drivers seat feels like a rocking chair. other then that i cant here my self think for engine lifter noise. derrick dodge cant help me out on anything at all? this truck is not driven every day and was intended for my wife to drive in town and a little recreational use. this seems like a lot of cash to invest in to a truck, i could have rented a truck for 6 months for less cash.

I was also burned by Derrick Dodge. Bought a Ram 3500 with a ProComp lift kit install by the dealership, they were selling a bunch of these trucks. Salesman told me the lift kit wouldn't effect the warranty but when I brought it back 6 months later for front end repairs the dealership said they wouldn't cover the cost because the front end had been altered. I informed them the lift kit came installed on the NEW RAM from THEM and what the salesman said to which their response was he no longer works for them. They denied even installing the kits, NEVER buy from Derrick Dodge again.

wolf308
01-25-2014, 05:44 AM
The shaking and jumping is symptom of a larger problem,

that being it is a Dodge.:lol:

My Chevy's got 344,000 and still riding as smooth as the day I bought her!

yeah ...copy..... my 2003 dodge has been shaking for a long long time .......at about 100 km/h .......nothing dangerous like in the op but so darn annoying ....its really made me hate driving .... my bottom rad hose burst last day of work so i borrowed my grandmas suv to get to work last shift and didnt even realize i was doing 120 ....it was gr8..... im going in on tuesday to test drive a sierra 1500 4x4 ,2011 with 62000 km on it. so thats good to know shes has 344000 km on it and is still smooth ....mine has 244000. trying to sell it here cheap for a farm truck or a kids first truck so that it discourages speeding ....lol . any takers ? still operates fine in town or under 100 km/h but yeah its not really a hwy vehicle

artie
01-25-2014, 06:02 AM
I had the death wobble on my 06 dodge 2500 diesel and found on a diesel forum to change the track bar bushings which I did and that solved the problem. I also changed one ball joint and all tie rod ends at the same time so that also helped with the problem.

BrownTrout
01-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Had it happen in my jeep grand Cherokee. Had the steering dampeners replaced solved the problem.

bat119
01-25-2014, 07:49 AM
My 2007 Dodge 1500 did the wobble once

I took it in for service they found the stick on wheel balancing weights had fallen off (Canadiantire) :sign0161:

Donkey Oatey
01-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I know its a revived thread but just got a recall notice on a truck I don't own anymore from Dodge. I had a 2009 2500 4X4 and the recall is on the drivers side tie rod end. Maybe they are trying to fix the death wobble.

I remember dreading any railroad crossings at highway speeds as the front end went all over the place.

CaberTosser
01-25-2014, 09:36 AM
I was also burned by Derrick Dodge. Bought a Ram 3500 with a ProComp lift kit install by the dealership, they were selling a bunch of these trucks. Salesman told me the lift kit wouldn't effect the warranty but when I brought it back 6 months later for front end repairs the dealership said they wouldn't cover the cost because the front end had been altered. I informed them the lift kit came installed on the NEW RAM from THEM and what the salesman said to which their response was he no longer works for them. They denied even installing the kits, NEVER buy from Derrick Dodge again.

You trusted a salesman at his word? :snapoutofit: Always get it in writing, on company letterhead, signed & witnessed by the manager or president while on video; carved in stone if possible.

great white whaler
01-25-2014, 10:04 AM
My jeep as the same front diff set up as your truck ,i lifted my jeep 5 inches and got the death woble so i ended up replacing upper and lower ball joints, swaybar bushings ,install ajustable tracking bar ,tie rods ,steering box,droped idle arm ,new shocks ,,and damper shock ,new tires and wheel balance,wheel aliment,,,$3000 grand later no more death woble.

CanuckShooter
01-25-2014, 10:27 AM
yeah ...copy..... my 2003 dodge has been shaking for a long long time .......at about 100 km/h .......nothing dangerous like in the op but so darn annoying ....its really made me hate driving .... my bottom rad hose burst last day of work so i borrowed my grandmas suv to get to work last shift and didnt even realize i was doing 120 ....it was gr8..... im going in on tuesday to test drive a sierra 1500 4x4 ,2011 with 62000 km on it. so thats good to know shes has 344000 km on it and is still smooth ....mine has 244000. trying to sell it here cheap for a farm truck or a kids first truck so that it discourages speeding ....lol . any takers ? still operates fine in town or under 100 km/h but yeah its not really a hwy vehicle

Watch out for GMotors frame beaming issues.....maybe you should look at Fords.

leeaspell
01-25-2014, 10:44 AM
I know its a revived thread but just got a recall notice on a truck I don't own anymore from Dodge. I had a 2009 2500 4X4 and the recall is on the drivers side tie rod end. Maybe they are trying to fix the death wobble.

I remember dreading any railroad crossings at highway speeds as the front end went all over the place.

This recall has been out for probably 4 years now, they just keep uping the number of trucks on the list, I got the notice summer of 2012. The problem is the tierod just fails and falls off, not the death wobble.

outlaw'd
01-25-2014, 11:22 AM
We just had the brides Jeep in at Crosstown yesterday to fix the "death wobble". It took them all day to do it and the result was a failed steering stabilizer. It was worn out and yet the Jeep only has 15k on it. When we bought it at the dealership, they insisted that they wouldn't warranty the unit unless they installed the lift kit. I could have had it done cheaper at a suspension shop but chose the dealer route to ensure we had coverage. At the end of the day, no charge and we're good to go again. My Ram 3500 has had the front end replaced 3 times so far(300k) and Dodge has paid for all the parts, and the labor twice. No complaints here regarding the Dodge products and Crosstown has treated us well.

pseelk
01-25-2014, 12:09 PM
There is currently a recall on Dodge trucks right now 2003-2008.Issue with left tie rod end.Was also one on other steering components earlier.Check with a dealer and see if yours was done.

solocam3
01-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Yes, I just got my recall for the same thing. 2003 Dodge 1 Ton 6 spd standard longbox. But last summer I just had all those parts replaced before a weekend trip with the trailer. I wonder if I can get any money back?????

pedro96
01-25-2014, 08:04 PM
06 Dodge diesel.. 160,000 k on it at the time..QE2.. Fast lane..120 easy on a long weekend ..going over a bridge n Boom.. Thought both front wheels were gonna fly off...Heavey brakes and off the pavement...lucky nobody was hurt..VERY scary...