PDA

View Full Version : Sea Eagle Inflatable (motor size)

alpinebeers
03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Just looking for some advice on what size motor I can put on a Sea Eagle SE9inflatable. There website recomends nothing more than a 4 hp. I have heard you can go bigger but I am not sure how much. Also how much motor would I need to be able to get back up the bow if we started floating at the 22X launch? I have never owned one of these inflatables so any advice would be much appreciated. My main use will be for smaller lakes/reservoirs and rivers.

Kingfisher
03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Honestly they put the hp rating on the boats for a reason. You can always push your luck and go bigger. But why would you? If you want a boat that will go up the Bow then you'll need a 9.9. In my honest opinion I think they should ban all motors on the Bow. It's a world class river that's quickly turning into a gong show. I'd be happy to see a total motor ban on it including all jet boats. If you do decide to go on the river with a motor then make sure you bring an extra prop. You'll need it.

I know that's not popular. But hey it's only my opinion.

Stick with what the manufacture says on the HP rating. If you want to use a bigger motor then get a bigger boat.

Rob

crazyfish
03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
there are ways to get picked up furthur down stream, also lots of large rocks and shallow spots ! X2 on the extra prop ! and maybe a backup plan as well !

There is a company, small group of people that will ferry your vehicle downstream for you for a small fee . Can't remember the name but just ask at any shop around town they would have it . I really don't like the motor idea either! Last summer did a float trip from fish creek to mckinnon flats, two jet boats blasted by, and the amount of bottom debris and weeds they churned up (blasted) off the bottom was amazing. It put all the fish down for a while and the stuff didn't settle for a long time, just drifted along with us for a couple hrs ! :cry:

Zulu9er
03-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I own a 14 and a 1/2 ft Zodiac FishNHunt with a 20HP Yamaha Short Shaft,, the boat is rated for 25HP,,,however,, if its just me on the water, I have to put a full gas can up at the bow end to balance out my big fat ass and the motor so that I can plane properly. Two in the boat,, one up front in the pedestal seat,,, not a problem. Pay close attention to your boats HP rating,,, as Kingfisher above says,,, want a bigger motor?,,, get a bigger boat. If you were in a serious accident involving an overrated motor for a particular boats rated HP, I doubt your insurance company would not do anything other than walk away.

If your not the lead dog,
The view is always the same!!
Zulu9er

alpinebeers
03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys I think I am just going to go with an electric trolling motor for now and see how that goes. Just have to find one now !!!!

Little Valy
03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Gas motors are not allowed within city limits on the Bow except for the fire dept,and I've also seen Fish and Wildlife in jet ski's(very smart)

Kingfisher
03-23-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys I think I am just going to go with an electric trolling motor for now and see how that goes. Just have to find one now !!!!

Electric motors are a fantastic idea. I run a Minn Kota 46lb thrust Maxxim motor. If you get one make sure it's a Maxxim or a Traxis. They are more expensive but they have the Maximizer digital battery feed

•Digital Maximizer – delivers up to five times longer run time on a single battery charge
•Push-to-test battery meter integrated into the motor head

These 2 features make those models worth every penny. The Traxis replaced the Maximizer. But you might still find a few around.

The Endura can be purchased in places like Cdn Tire and is way cheaper. But your battery life is way less than the others. You get what you pay for.

Rob

camshaft
03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
I have a 50lb thrust on my 12ft inflatable and float the boat a lot with it. It is great for going "across" the river and in the few places where there are back eddy's, and the water is slow or stopped.

Forget about going upcurrent though with a electric on the bow while your in the main current...it just wont happen. I would also recommend a 9.9 for that.