PDA

View Full Version : Montana Fishing Trip

tbone616
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
So me and a buddy decided we are gonna head to Columbia Falls, Montana this summer for a 4 day fly-fishing trip. As both of us have only been down there a few times and neither of us have ever fished there i figured i would ask around for some advise and see if anyone could give us some places to try out in that general area or hopefully at least get us pointed in the right direction. I'm looking forward to do some exploring but any help on a starting place would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any advise you can donate:D

One Canadian
03-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Are you taking a boat? Like to hike? Or just want easy access? I am in that area every summer for a few weeks and though I do not fly fish I am able to point you into a few good spots. Give more detail on what your plans are and I will give some thoughts based on that.

Kingfisher
03-23-2010, 01:50 AM
If your heading to Columbia Falls in Montana, then make sure and stop by Arden's Fly Shop in Columbia Falls. They have an amazing supply of flies and tying materials. I've always found the staff there to be very helpfull.

The store is on your right as you come into Columbia Falls from the north. It looks like an old service station. Because it is. But don't let that fool you.

Rob

tbone616
03-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Hey Canadian, ya we pretty much stay on the streams and rivers with relativly easy access and just move up and down stream. Not much for hiking in great distances but don't mind a little bit of a walk. Not really wanting to do any lake fishing while we're there as we don't wanna bring the boats down. We mainly try for trout but as we are both c&r anglers we're pretty happy with anything we catch as it's more for just the fun and enjoyment of it.

Will have to check out that fly shop when he head down there. I noticed it last time i was there but never had a chance to stop and check it out but thanks for the heads up.

Safety D
03-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I was there last year and it was DEAD !!!!

italk2u
03-24-2010, 08:44 AM
If you are staying in Columbia falls, i recommend you talk to a fellow named Jim.
He's an elderly gent that works as a concierge at the meadow lake resort.
He has taken me on a couple of trips into the hills and is very reasonable, pricewise.
Can't name the lakes, he wouldn't like it.
Also, We always stay at Meadow lake and if you are staying there too, you can ask the greenskeeper if he'll let you fly fish for brookies in the pond in front of the 16th green.

Shaggy
03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Sorry to hijack, but I'm taking the family down this summer, and was wondering how difficult it is to get a license to fish down there.
Can I just purchase a non res license or is it a huge hassle?
Do kids need a license?

italk2u
03-26-2010, 12:45 PM
no hassle..just find a tackle shop..a little pricey though(but cheap compared to BC).

Shaggy
03-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Great. Thanks. It will be the kids' first time in a boat. And hopefully a first fish for all of them.

tbone616
03-26-2010, 02:53 PM
If you are staying in Columbia falls, i recommend you talk to a fellow named Jim.
He's an elderly gent that works as a concierge at the meadow lake resort.
He has taken me on a couple of trips into the hills and is very reasonable, pricewise.
Can't name the lakes, he wouldn't like it.
Also, We always stay at Meadow lake and if you are staying there too, you can ask the greenskeeper if he'll let you fly fish for brookies in the pond in front of the 16th green.

That works out perfect because that's where we are staying (have some time shares to burn). We'll definatly try to track them down, thanks alot for the info!