PDA

View Full Version : Concern for Snipe Lake

opto55
03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Just returned from my first trip to Snipe lake. Great weekend with lots of fish. I have been fishing and hunting in Alberta for more than 4 decades and have observed the mismanagement of bull trout, walleye and moose populations in this province. I am very concerned with this great lake and feel it is headed for collapse. With a limit of 15 perch per day and no closure on March 31st my question is why? This little gem of a lake has just to easy an access and unless limits and closures are introduced the fish populations on this lake will suffer the same fate as the bull trout, walleye and moose populations.

Walleye101
03-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I agree 100%

addicted
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I counted 100 truck there on saturday give or take afew .... the bite was off!!!!! the lake is big and deep but the pressure is quite great everyone driving and looking for the jumbo perch i talked with a guy from cold lake !!! thats a bit of a drive ..... are there no jumbos in that end of the province or saskabush hmmmm

something needs to be done, but it wont so its up too us as fishermen to control our selves do guys need to go out fish 5 days eating nothing but there limits day after day, fishing and frying over and over. Or locals hitting these lakes 30 40 plus times a year thats a ton of fish.

tatonkagp
03-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I agree there needs to be some fish taken out, to grow bigger fish. I take fish home, but rarely my limit, and always put the really big ones back. The big hens have more eggs. We all know this, I think the only thing we can do is send emails to fish and wildlife voicing our concerns on populations.

opto55
03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I will be writing a letter to the SRD minister and premier this week voicing my concerns and I would encourage all concerned fisherman to do the same. We must make an effort to preserve this fishery. I want to be able to take my grand kids there some day!

hit_theice
03-23-2010, 03:54 AM
i have fished all through Southern BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Ontario and even Minnesota. I even have and education background allowing me to work for fish and wildlife. but i choose not to because i do not agree with anything they are doing so i would have a hard time enforcing rules that i do not beleive in. if u think our lakes get more pressure think again. do a you tube search for opening day in minnesota. there are people lined up along shores and in boats waiting for the clock to strike midnite on opening day. they even have a long weekend and schools are closed for the opener. what i have done is some what implimented my own size limits on anything i keep which isn't much. here is an example. my perch size limit is anything between 12-14 inches i release. u can get just as good of a meal from 10-12 inchers and then i allow myself the ability to keep a trophy if i catch one. if anyone wants my ideas on other sizes just ask.

tight lines

thunderjet
03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
I was out there on the weekend and it was the first time in maybe 5 years, wow does word spread fast when fishing is good, I have never seen so many people on that lake. I grew up on the lake and it was rare to see anyone on it. I agree what with what Opto has said and think they should drop the limit to 5 perch and one pike and increase the whitefish limit to 15. The lake was awesome in the 70's and early 80's for pike and perch, for years the lake was netted for pike and exported for consumption because of their quality. So low and behold fisheries decided to intorduce white fish to the lake for the same reason and they took over the lake. The perch all but dissppeared and the pike were small skinny and unhealthy. They increased net pulls/year for a couple of years which must of helped as even after the walleye were stocked the lake has made a come back. It would be a shame to have it revert back to the collapsed state. It is nice to be able to go to a lake in Alberta and have a quality experience that can be found here.

Leech Lips
03-23-2010, 08:36 PM
I also agree with previous posts. This is a lake we should preserve by implementing a March 31 closure. I believe in April a substantial amount of hungry pre-spawn perch are taken and this should be implemented next year. I admit I dont know the facts concerning the perch population (is there any data out there), but as responsible ouitdoormen we should encourage the department to also reduce the limit to 10 perch next year to help preserve the quality of this lake.