PDA

View Full Version : Canmore fishing info

bonefish
03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Canmore fishing info.
Good day all. First day on this forum. I'll be visiting Canmore in early July this year with the family and plan to sneak off a few times for some self guided flyfishing. Looking for any suggestions on what gear to bring, where to go (not requireing a 5 km hike) and anything else I should know. Many thanks.

the holster
03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Welcome:
You've got to try Quarry Lake up by the Nordic Centre. Great little spot to walk to (5 minutes from parking lot). There is a self sustaining population of AG in this crystal clear pond. I had a lot of success with a small SJW.
the holster

bonefish
03-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Thank you Sir...Always dreamed of catching a grayling....any suggestions on rods? 4 or 5wt to heavy?
Thanks again !!!

the holster
03-23-2010, 11:46 AM
You don't need heavy rods for these grayling. I love using my 3 wt TFO with a floating line. Out at Quarry, these fish will be quite deep. I put a small SS up from the fly and use a small pontoon boat and just slowly drift. I have had great success at the south end. Also, there are some ridiculously small ponds 2 minutes from Quarry that are teeming with small brookies-great dry fly action and 2 different species in one trip. Have fun.
the holster

mtbkr
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
You can fish the bow right in Canmore as well. I've seen fish jumping in the town reservoir as well. Right in the shallow bay close to the nordic center.

bonefish
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Great info. Thanks a bunch. !!!
Can't wait.

Steven Noel
03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Headwall Lakes, on the Smith-Dorrien Spray Road. 2 hour hike. http://www.outdooralberta.com/headwall.php

sheephunter
03-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Headwall Lakes, on the Smith-Dorrien Spray Road. 2 hour hike. http://www.outdooralberta.com/headwall.php

Are you fishing the upper or lower lake and what size cutts have you caught there. I've only fished it once and that was in a blizzard and we never caught nor saw a fish. Beautiful place. Always wanted to go back.

Steven Noel
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
We fished both when we were there last August. Fishes ranged from 8-12 inches. Beautiful spot. :wave:

DuckBrat
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Welcome:
You've got to try Quarry Lake up by the Nordic Centre. Great little spot to walk to (5 minutes from parking lot). There is a self sustaining population of AG in this crystal clear pond. I had a lot of success with a small SJW.
the holster

Go early in the morning to avoid crowds of swimmers and sunbathers as it gets crowded on nicer days. The traffic puts the fish deep. Shouldn't be an issue on rainy days or near ice off. Good luck.

Spidey
03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Go early in the morning to avoid crowds of swimmers and sunbathers as it gets crowded on nicer days. The traffic puts the fish deep. Shouldn't be an issue on rainy days or near ice off. Good luck.

x2 - Try to fish Quarry Lake in July/Aug. and you'll be competing with (insert tune from "We Didn't Start The Fire" here) - Kayakers, cliff jumpers, sun bathers, pot smokers, triathalon swimmers, dog walkers, wedding parties, bicyclers, stroller mammas, and rock skippers.

I live 500m from Quarry Lake and have seen all of the above... on the same day! However, if you get up at the crack of dawn or wet a line at dusk, you should be able to snag a little solitude and maybe a grayling or two. The smallest EHC you can buy would be the ticket at that time of year for Quarry.

bonefish
03-24-2010, 05:40 AM
ok...now i'm pumped...kayaks, stollers and brides...lookout cause here I come !!!
lol
Thanks again !!!

dave99
03-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Are you fishing the upper or lower lake and what size cutts have you caught there. I've only fished it once and that was in a blizzard and we never caught nor saw a fish. Beautiful place. Always wanted to go back.

I fished the upper lake near the outflow in August, and caught lots of cutts, the biggest being 12". Stayed there late into the evening, and the whole upper lake seemed to be erupting with rising trout. I had a great time casting flies to them! Btw, another great lake is Maude, on North Kananaskis Pass. Quite a hike in, but well worth it!

Good Fishin'

sheephunter
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks Dave and Steven, I'll have to get back in there and give it a try when the weather is nicer. It sure is a beautiful spot and there are loads of sheep and goats in there too.