PDA

View Full Version : Caught nothing but a ticket!

fourty12
03-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Was at Spray Lakes Res on Friday for my first time. Got there early (still dark) and parked on the side of the boat launch at the North end. Walked almost across the lake and after a few hours of catching nothing, I spotted a CO checking out my truck. The CO walked all the way across the lake and without even saying hello, began lacing into me about my truck being illegally parked. I walked back with her to the truck where she stated that I had disobeyed a lawful sign and was considered off-roading in a provincial park. I was in no way blocking the boat launch and I was certainly not on the ice. She was adamant that she could not give me a warning and allowed me to opt between a $172 or $287 ticket. I chose the $172 and carried on catching nothing all day. Could this not be considered a $40 parking ticket (at most) for not parking in a specified area? What frustrates me is that a guy tries to enjoy the outdoors, has 2 lines, crushed barbs, following the fishing regs and gets nailed for something this insignificant. I have heard of people getting away with a warning for a lot worse. Also what frustrates me is that as I am leaving for the day, there is a dog sled company truck parked across the boat launch, blocking it entirely and another car parked close to where I was... no tickets for them. Not a great first experience on Spray!

WayneChristie
03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
gotta love PMS:evilgrin:

hal53
03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Was at Spray Lakes Res on Friday for my first time. Got there early (still dark) and parked on the side of the boat launch at the North end. Walked almost across the lake and after a few hours of catching nothing, I spotted a CO checking out my truck. The CO walked all the way across the lake and without even saying hello, began lacing into me about my truck being illegally parked. I walked back with her to the truck where she stated that I had disobeyed a lawful sign and was considered off-roading in a provincial park. I was in no way blocking the boat launch and I was certainly not on the ice. She was adamant that she could not give me a warning and allowed me to opt between a $172 or $287 ticket. I chose the $172 and carried on catching nothing all day. Could this not be considered a $40 parking ticket (at most) for not parking in a specified area? What frustrates me is that a guy tries to enjoy the outdoors, has 2 lines, crushed barbs, following the fishing regs and gets nailed for something this insignificant. I have heard of people getting away with a warning for a lot worse. Also what frustrates me is that as I am leaving for the day, there is a dog sled company truck parked across the boat launch, blocking it entirely and another car parked close to where I was... no tickets for them. Not a great first experience on Spray!
an SRD officer is now handing out parking tickets!!!!!!???????....glad they're out chasing the poachers!!!!!....SHEESH!!!!!!! hard to believe!!! I am in no way a chauvinist,, but Man, sometimes they make it difficult!!!

Triple Threat
03-23-2010, 06:32 PM
it sounds like I've parked close to the same spot before and no problems. I don't recall a no parking sign at that location either. Sorry for the bad day. I wonder if you can fight it if it is worth it.

ghostguy6
03-23-2010, 06:38 PM
If you took pictures take it to court and fight it.

When ever you get a ticket you should take pictures. Ive gotten out of 3 because of it:)

Hunting-gear.net
03-23-2010, 06:44 PM
..and we wonder why there are the problems there are out there ..ones that can be easily enforced.

tacklerunner
03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Well that's a real pie in the face to those lobbying for more money going to hire more COs to preserve an conserve our resources.

That's one of the worst I've ever heard of and I'm sure the "cash grab" beetch fest will start on here soon and frankly, I gotta say that's a "cash grab" if I've ever seen one. A "parking" ticket on the window is one thing but this...............:mad3:

DuckBrat
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry it happened to you, they have handed out some pretty outrageous tickets in the area, over the last couple of years. A gentleman was telling me the last time he was there with his wife, they parked the camper by the same boat launch for the day. Went out to icefish and an officer handed them a ticket for camping, when they had only been there for the day. Take no chances.

Beazer
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Should have asked her where the proper spot to park was, and then upon finding out, ask her about the other vehicles excuse?

greylynx
03-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Get the name of the power monger. Phone toll free to the ADM's office in Edmonton, and file a complaint.

Next, phone your MLA, and raise hxxx that you want someone fired and that you demand an investigation through the ADM's department.

Tell your MLA if nothing is done you will go to the Stelmach hating media, and that your MLA will also be mentioned

nicemustang
03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh that's crappy luck. Although she is a beech and have give many on this forum a ticket. too bad, it was slow for us too on the weekend.

hal53
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM
A female who "thinks" she has power , is a dangerous person, I have promoted women to the point of VP's, that knew how to handle it, quite often ahead of males, but,,,,,,then there are the other ones!!!...no gender difference.. some can do it...some can't

JohninAB
03-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

JohninAB
03-23-2010, 08:15 PM
First off, it was a CO and therefore has nothing to do with SRD. Wish people would learn the difference between a CO and Fish and Wildlife officer before posting stuff on here.

hal53
03-23-2010, 08:19 PM
First off, it was a CO and therefore has nothing to do with SRD. Wish people would learn the difference between a CO and Fish and Wildlife officer before posting stuff on here.
my mistake the OP mentioned CO, I mentioned SRD,,I apologise for that...perhaps you can explain once again the difference that Uncle Ted M. deemed necessary

QIsley
03-23-2010, 08:37 PM
CO's -Conservation Officers work on lands controlled by Provincial Parks.

FWO's - Fish and Wildlife Officers work under SRD, (Sustainable Resource Development) every where not covered by Parks.

Q

5Weight
03-23-2010, 08:47 PM
My co-worker was telling me a similar story from the weekend. Same area-ish too. He was fishing on a pond along the 1A just outside of Canmore and a CO comes walking out on the ice to tell him he was not parked properly. Don't think he got a ticket though.

I guess we should be thankful that nobody is poaching or fishing illegally if she has nothing better to do than talk parking... :huh:

5W

fishstix
03-23-2010, 10:11 PM

We got parked in by the dog sled team in january. I also ran into the lady co. Kinda cute!

Fishstix!!

camshaft
03-23-2010, 10:27 PM
What was the wording of the offense and section pls for the ticket u were actually issued?

I would hazard a guess that the offense u "cud" have been sited for was under the Provincial Parks Regulation for:
unauthorized operation of m/v off hwy in park/rec area..... $287

Plead not guilty and go to court. If the crown has a stong case, ask to plead to 44(n) of the Traffic Safety Act: park where prohibited by sign= $57

And yes she "could" have given u a warning, despite what she said.

mark-edmonton
03-24-2010, 10:06 AM
of course she could have given a warning.. sensless ticket imo. Tell me that is not power tripping. fight it. Make her show up to court, and defend yourself.

ULTRAlite
03-24-2010, 10:26 AM
of course she could have given a warning.. sensless ticket imo. Tell me that is not power tripping. fight it. Make her show up to court, and defend yourself.

X2
I'm all for adding more CO's, but to catch people breaking the law... this is just BS. Maybe she shoulda been a meter maid.

Okotokian
03-24-2010, 10:45 AM

JimPS
03-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Provincial budgets have been slashed - pay the fine and consider it a new tax on fishing and using our provincial parks. Go to court, lose, pay the costs and consider it a tax for using the courts.

- Jim

caddisman
03-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I have been blocked in by the dog sled company also.
I left a nasty note on their truck and have run ins with them after. They think they own the place and don't care.
Now someone hangs around the truck all the time.
The parking ticket is crazy especially in the winter. I would fit the point that the other car did not recieve a ticket.

ericlin0122
03-24-2010, 11:42 AM
if you have any picture, file complaint and go to court.
It's actually very easy to do, and u don't really need a lawyer to do that.
I doubt that CO is gonna show up in court.

BlackHeart
03-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I left a nasty note on their truck and have run ins with them after. They think they own the place and don't care.
The parking ticket is crazy especially in the winter. I would fit the point that the other car did not recieve a ticket.

Throw a couple of smelts into the middle of his harness team and then a few under the sled. :evilgrin:

Okotokian
03-25-2010, 11:34 AM
The parking ticket is crazy especially in the winter.

Aren't you sort of contradicting yourself? You got blocked in by a poor parker in winter and yet you say parking tickets in winter are crazy.

Sundancefisher
03-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I think the biggest issues is...how on Earth can you get skunked at Spray :lol:

Jack&7
03-25-2010, 03:00 PM

FWO's - Fish and Wildlife Officers work under SRD, (Sustainable Resource Development) every where not covered by Parks.

Q

Thanks, Q....I did not know that. I always assumed they were interchangeable.

As for the ticket, I think you have a great chance of beating it. As soon as a peace officer gives you "a choice" of fines, that is a pretty good indication that their case isn't that solid. I was told this by a magistrate when I fought a few tickets issued to me by a power-tripping police officer. He stated that the law "is not a buffet that the officer gets to pick and choose from..." It was also interesting to hear the magistrate say, "Oh, this guy again." when he read the name of the issuing officer. Apparently, officers who issue "weak" tickets get a bit of a name for themselves because their tickets are always getting challenged. Maybe your friendly female officer is one of those that has a history in the courts...

Plus if you have pictures, that always helps. If you can demonstrate how the laws were being applied to you and not the other "offending" parkers, you can use that too. Basically, all you have to do is create reasonable doubt to have the ticket thrown out.

Yes, it costs you time off work and all of that but it is the principle of the matter that counts here. The situation as you described it definitely sucks and I think you shouldn't just roll over and accept it. Just my opinion.

Okotokian
03-25-2010, 03:26 PM
I think the biggest issues is...how on Earth can you get skunked at Spray :lol:

Oh I could do it... EASYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :cry:

Kim473
03-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Why did you say that was your truck?

dragon
03-26-2010, 10:14 AM
The rules are the rules my man... even if you don't like them... If you hit a pedestrian and say you didn't see the cross walk sign that excuse wouldn't fly. I mean it sucks getting a ticket and all but she/he/it is right! As for the dog sled team parking there... "just because he did it and may or may not have been caught, doesn't make it ok for you to do it" - my mom

Skid_o
03-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Sounds like the same officer I met a while back on spray lakes. She comes out and asked what we are using for bait. She tells us minnows are not allowed smelts are allowed. I point to our minnow container that has no words on it. She picks a minnow up and tells me what the difference is between and a minnow and smelt and says my bait is good. Thank you officer see you later.

bonedogg
03-26-2010, 12:41 PM
was once given a ticket at Upper kan. for having my dog off leash. We were between the truck and the ice a meer 100 ft. Did not pay the ticket as I should have and it went to a provincial warrant. Long story short, I was arrested by two of Calgary's finest on Bow trail after they ran my plate and was taken downtown to the main booking station. As I was handcuffed to the stainless bench the admin lady tells me that there system is down and that I might have to be transferred to Spy hill for the night for MY DOG BEING OFF_LEASH IN A PROVINCIAL PARK!!!!!! Nobody was around and we were the first ones in the parking lot. No common sense what so ever.:sick:

huntsfurfish
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM
bonedog
You were not arrested for your dog being off its leash. You were arrested for not paying a ticket. Paying or not paying is not really up to your discretion. Well I guess it is in a way:). There really would be no point in having any laws if you only had to pay if you wanted to.;)

bonedogg
03-26-2010, 01:09 PM
bonedog
You were not arrested for your dog being off its leash. You were arrested for not paying a ticket. Paying or not paying is not really up to your discretion. Well I guess it is in a way:). There really would be no point in having any laws if you only had to pay if you wanted to.;)

Wasn't that i didn't want to pay the ticket, I had moved and forgotten to pay it as the reminders were going to the wrong address. Was just voicing the "common sense" aspect of the law, which we all know there is none!:tongue2:

huntsfurfish
03-26-2010, 01:13 PM
No excuse:tongue2::)

Chris88CL
03-26-2010, 01:27 PM
It's not a matter of "we did something wrong so face the music". We didnt. There were no clear signs stating where to park. It was a roundabout in a day use area that was still open that happened to contain a boat launch. We made a conscious effort to park OFF the ice and walk 3/4 of the way across the lake. We made the effort to not park in the roundabout so we allowed access for other vehicles. We did not block any access for anyone. We were still in an area that is maintained for vehicles (boat launch) and not "off-road" as the CO described.

When we inquired with the CO about where to park to fish other parts of the lake her suggestion was either on the side of the road with some other vehicles (not safe IMHO) or infront of a snowbank by a closed day use area. How the hell is that better than where we WERE parked?

The part that ****es me off the most, is through the entire situation she didnt check any of our licenses, any of our lines, our bait, barbs, NOTHING. Just gave us a parking ticket and left. Hope she can go home at night and sleep well knowing she has done such a fantastic job as a CONSERVATION Officer when all she's conserving is the gov'ts bottom line.

bonedogg
03-26-2010, 01:29 PM
just like the time my buddy and I picked up at least a dozen beer cans that were left the night before at Upper K on the ice. Put them in our bucket to take off the ice when we leave. Mr. CO comes out onto the ice about four hours later, checks our hooks and sees the beer cans in the bucket. He proceeds to start a ticket when my buddy absolutely loses it on him!!!! He took all of the cans out of his bucket and put them back on the ice and told the CO if he wanted them picked up he better do it himself! As they were not ours! The CO appologized and picked up the cans himself. If he would have asked us where the cans came from prior to writing the ticket we would have all had a great day and no problems. Sometimes you try and do the right thing and it bites ya' in the ass!!!!:tongue2:

sheephunter
03-26-2010, 01:30 PM
It's not a matter of "we did something wrong so face the music". We didnt. There were no clear signs stating where to park. It was a roundabout in a day use area that was still open that happened to contain a boat launch. We made a conscious effort to park OFF the ice and walk 3/4 of the way across the lake. We made the effort to not park in the roundabout so we allowed access for other vehicles. We did not block any access for anyone. We were still in an area that is maintained for vehicles (boat launch) and not "off-road" as the CO described.

When we inquired with the CO about where to park to fish other parts of the lake her suggestion was either on the side of the road with some other vehicles (not safe IMHO) or infront of a snowbank by a closed day use area. How the hell is that better than where we WERE parked?

The part that ****es me off the most, is through the entire situation she didnt check any of our licenses, any of our lines, our bait, barbs, NOTHING. Just gave us a parking ticket and left. Hope she can go home at night and sleep well knowing she has done such a fantastic job as a CONSERVATION Officer when all she's conserving is the gov'ts bottom line.

You can always have your day in court. Plead not guilty and leave it up to a judge. I got a ticket for something similar one time in K-Country and went to court and the judge threw it out and chatized the Park Ranger and crown prosecuter for wasting his time. Cost me some time but that was it........

Kim473
03-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Allways fun to listen to a Judge ripping a new hole.

Jack&7
03-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Chris...

Paragraphs 1 and 2 sound like a perfectly reasonable explanation to use as your defence in court. Highlight how you took into consideration other people's access. Go back and take pictures of the spot showing the lack of proper signage and you can create reasonable doubt in the case. Bye-bye, ticket.

When you go to court....leave paragraph 3 out of the explanation.;)

catdiggler
03-27-2010, 03:38 PM

Q
Sounds like this gut knows his stuff or atleast he thinks he does!!!

Bear
03-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Sounds like this gut knows his stuff or atleast he thinks he does!!!

This guy does know his stuff. His name is Quentin Isley, Fish and Wildlife Officer with Sustainable Resource Development