PDA

View Full Version : Transom Mounted Trolling and Tube Pulling BAR??

floppychicken
03-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Hey All !

I've got a Smoker Craft 172 Ultima. Quite simply, I want to be able to PULL a TUBE full of KIDS and TROLL when fishing from the SAME Tow Bar. Since this can't be done with the 'Stock' Tow bar, I wanted something STRONG that I could connect to the Transom (I believe it fits into the Tow Hook Holes..) I have seen SUCH A UNIT on a few CRESTLINERS, but was NEVER close enough to actually get a good LOOK at one. Unfortunately, I don't know what they are called and cannot find a single PHOTO on the NET, although, I'm sure there are some around... I think there was a place here in town that used to offer them as an OPTION on their boats, but I can't remember who.....

Does ANYONE have one of these or know where I can find one to look at ??

Cheers,

/J...

skykomish sunrise
03-25-2010, 03:55 AM
I found my 'specialty' tow bar at www.iboats.com they had the best selection I've found

bigmac
03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
I have one on my crestliner and yes it is very strong. Although they don't recommend it you could tow another boat with it. I'll have a look at the name on it this weekend when I get out to where it is being stored and then let ya know:)

floppychicken
03-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Wicked..., Thanks Lads! (looking forward to the name!)

I went to the CRESTLINER website today and noticed that many of the 2010 Boats have the option for a 'CLAMP-ON SKI TOW BAR'. In the video and photos, they show a tube being pulled by this bar and also a photo with attachable Rod Holders for trolling or simply getting them outta' the way.

Although it looks quite a bit 'smaller' than the one I'm thinking about, it must be pretty SOLID to pull the tube. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any 'DETAILED' photos or video of the TOW BAR anywhere on the WWW.

Cheers,

/J...

Kim473
03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Go down to a local boat retailer and see what they have, Im sure most carry the same designs. And internet search water ski tow bars.

floppychicken
03-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Go down to a local boat retailer and see what they have, Im sure most carry the same designs. And internet search water ski tow bars.

Yeah, I didn't find much on the Internet.... Lot's of stuff that 'wasn't quite' like what I'm looking for...

I think I'll try a Crestliner Retailer and check out the ones that they currently have on the 2010's. Although I don't think they'll 'quite fit' on mine, I should be able to get a pretty good idea. I think there is only one Vendor in Calgary though... Nanton would be the other one.

Cheers,

/J...

mjdupre
06-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm looking for a similar bar as well.
The Cresliner website shows one in a picture but makes no mention of it.
I checked with the local Crestliner dealer who told me that they are VERY expensive from Cresliner. There's got to be a third party source for these.
Attached is a picture from the Cresliner web site:

floppychicken
06-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm looking for a similar bar as well.
The Cresliner website shows one in a picture but makes no mention of it.
I checked with the local Crestliner dealer who told me that they are VERY expensive from Cresliner. There's got to be a third party source for these.
Attached is a picture from the Cresliner web site:

Yeah, I'm just going to make mine out of ALUMINUM or perhaps even STAINLESS if I can find the right stuff at the Metal Yard. Mine doesn't use the 'tow hooks' either,.... I kinda' screwed that up. The mounting holes in question are the "SKI PYLON" hooks or 'holes' for the 'stabilizer' bars that are in the Transom. They're nice and big and will accomodate a nice cover plate with no problem.

The Crestliner transom Bars are quite close in and Not 'high enough' IMO. They do however look like they're perfect for towing and such. Rod holders would be easy to put on there as well.

Once I get mine done, I'll post it up for others to see (if anyone's interested that is...)

Cheers,

/FC...

mjdupre
06-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Ran across a link to Advanced Metal Fab Inc. yesterday.
They make a transom mount unit that is exactly what I'm looking for.
http://www.am-fab.com/transommountskitow.html
Not sure if they sell retail or not, looks like they make make the one Crestliner uses.
I sent them an email, will post what I get back..

seahawkfisher
06-13-2010, 10:02 PM
i wouldn't pull a tube from a bar; tubes produce way too much drag. if you're gonna pull a tube, get one of those little ropes that attaches to both of your tie-down loops on the back of the transom and has a hook to attach to the tube rope (the have them at wally world for like 40 bucks, just make sure you get the strongest rated one they have).

on a side note, i think it's illegal to pull a tube from a ski pole, unless it's one of those wake towers

cheers

floppychicken
06-13-2010, 11:54 PM
i wouldn't pull a tube from a bar; tubes produce way too much drag. if you're gonna pull a tube, get one of those little ropes that attaches to both of your tie-down loops on the back of the transom and has a hook to attach to the tube rope (the have them at wally world for like 40 bucks, just make sure you get the strongest rated one they have).

on a side note, i think it's illegal to pull a tube from a ski pole, unless it's one of those wake towers

cheers

Uh, Nope! I think you may have the 'Tow Bars' mixed up with the Ski Pylons (bars) as the PYLONS are NOT made for pulling Tubes and even say so on most of the center poles.

Believe it or not, there are MANY wake board towers that you CANNOT or are not SUPPOSED to tow TUBES with! I know, I couldn't believe it either..... $1800.00 to $3000.00 units and they can't be used to tow a freakin' tube!

ALL new Ski and Fish and Sport CRESTLINERS come with the NEW SYTLE Tow Bars (option on some models) which are made for BOTH skiers AND pulling Tubes! No more TOW HOOKS for PULLING A TUBE!! They are great little setups and ELIMINATE the DRAG of pulling a TUBE with the stupid TOW HOOKS! (check out the Crestliner Web Site..)
Those Tow Hooks are a 'PAIN' cause' there is WAAAAY too much friction as the tow rope hits the water behind you.... Even those 'leveling balls' (inflatable ones..) don't work very well either and will sometimes even cause the water to fill the 'fabric' of the tube as the front tends to 'BOW' and nose 'into' the water, thus making the tube VERY heavy and hard to control. Pulling from a TOW BAR of some sort is the ONLY real solution to a NICE FAST and SMOOTH ride on the Tube as it keeps the 'tow rope' completely out of the water and the nose of the Tube in a 'slightly' upward direction.

This is why I plan to 'make' a nice Sturdy Tow bar for the Transom using the exisiting 'stabilizer mount' holes. I just can't decide whether or not I should use Aluminum or Stainless. I'm leaning towards Aluminum, simply because I'd never have to worry about rust and the cost would be less than HALF of the stainless tube that would be needed. Heck, you could even make it out of SQUARE TUBE and it would work just as well..., maybe better. I'd also have two stabilizer arms that would attach to the 'deck' of the boat as well for additional support (Similar to the Crestliner Bars).

Cheers,

/FC...

DLP
06-14-2010, 08:03 AM

cheers

X2 buddies crestliner has a warning right on the transom mounted bar "Not designed to pull tube's"