PDA

View Full Version : james river.....

hard_azz
03-25-2010, 10:19 AM
hey all... anyone out there bin down round james river in the last week or to?? lookin to go do some fly fishing today and wondering how much ice is still on the river.... and if anyone can release info on wat kinna flies r usually trickin the fish down there in the spring... i went down and fished james for the first time last summer and really liked it... so thanks in advance for any help

Scotty P.
03-25-2010, 11:49 AM
I haven't been out there recently myself but I was talking with a friend that has a cattle ranch along the James. She told me that there is some open water in spots but there is still ice along most of the banks. I can't wait to get out there myself. As for flies I'm not really sure what works in the spring. I can tell you that once you start seeing them jumping around, grass hopper patterns can do very well, those and leeches. The majority, including the biggest Brown I ever caught out of there, were all taken on small spinners. Pather Martins work especially well. Hope this helps you.

mikeym
03-25-2010, 02:17 PM
uuuhmm, isn't the James river closed till apr 1st?

Scotty P.
03-25-2010, 02:31 PM
uuuhmm, isn't the James river closed till apr 1st?

Your completely right. I missed the part where Hard Azz mentioned he wanted to go today. Sorry if I mislead you Hard Azz. You have to wait at least another week.

hard_azz
04-01-2010, 02:38 PM
ya sorry guys i got a little ahead of myself.... i checked the regs after i posted... it was a big no go that day but maybe this weekend ill give it a shot

mikeym
04-01-2010, 04:01 PM
no problem, at least you checked before heading out.

let us know ow it was. never did have any luckon the James river, but i only fished it around the campground on the FTR. did catcha nice bull out of one ole, but that was it. suprising considering ow much nice holding water there was on that river.

rgds
Mike

Scotty P.
04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I made it out on the weekend but only did a bit of fishing. I havd no luck at all. There is still quite a bit of ice on the banks and the water level is still quite low but if the weather stays nice it should be gone in a week or two.