PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rod help?

BH1
03-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi, Im starting to really get interested in fly fishing. Im just wondering if any experienced fly fishers could recommend a rod,(length, weight) reel and line?Ill be mainly fishing for smaller trout (maybe 1-2 pound) But also i go on a few trips where i can catch some 15+ pound lakers and pike. Would it maybe be better to get two seperate rods?(with one reel and just change line) As well im shooting for a 4 piece so its easier to pack.
Thx for the input. bh1

tikka270
03-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Hey BH,

I have a few years of fly fishing behind me.

You mention you will be fishing for smaller trout and some bigger pike. I would say you really need two rod/reel set ups. I suspect you will be fishing for the smaller trout in the mountains or along small creeks lined with trees/shrubs. What I would recommed would be a good 4wt/4pce 8'6" travel rod. Temple fork makes a good reasonably priced rod that is good for those short tight casts.
At least it works for me. If you want to spend more...the sky is the limit. I also have an Orvis Silver label that is a wonderful rod and a Sage but I worked up to spending on those. Over time you will find what you like best but Temple fork is a good quality starting rod. For the reel... for that size of fish you don't need an expensive reel it is essentially there to just hold the line. Scientific Angler SI2 is a good reel for not alot of $. Lamson makes an awesome reel but it will cost you!

For the pike...I use a 9' 2pce 8wt Temple fork with a large arbour Sage reel (not reel expensive:D). Most good quality reels will work but you should try to find one with a good to v.good drag system as you will be fighting them on the reel...and they can fight! It is an absolute blast though!!!:evilgrin: You will definitely need a steel leader...some fellas I know use high poundage fluorocarbon with pretty good results as well.

Good luck and enjoy...there is nothing like a day out on the water... whether you catch any or not... for me its stress relief and therapeutic.

Oh yah.... Weight forward preferably for the pike set up and either weight forward or double taper for the trout set up. I have always used weight forward for both but the double taper allows you to flip the line when it gets a little worn on the 4wt. Cortland makes pretty good and not overly expensive....also Rio is pretty good as well.

Kingfisher
03-26-2010, 02:56 AM
Tikka has it right. A 4wt for the smaller fish. For the larger fish I personally use an 8wt for pike, salmon and bone fish. I find it works great.

As Tikka said TFO is a good brand for a beginner, Amundson is also another good one for someone starting out.

Rob