PDA

View Full Version : Ozzies on Vacation - Fly Fishing Spots

Recce21
03-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Hey All,

I have some friends coming to Alberta this July from Australia. Now they are HUGE fly fishers and have asked me some good spots to go in and around Calgary. Now I am not a fly fisher but I want them to see how beautiful the Rockies are and have a blast fishing while in Alberta. Can anyone help me out with some spots they would recommend? Again, they are from Australia so I really want to wow them. Thanks.

mikeym
03-26-2010, 08:20 AM
take them down to the Crowsnest Pass area as a base to explore from.

there you have the Crowsnest River itself, further north is the Oldman River, the incredible Livingstone River (i would highly recommend this one), Racehorse, Highwood River, further south the Castle River system. basically tons of rivers to explore around the Crowsnest Pass area and very beautiful scenery.

that is where i would take them.

rgds
Mike

BlueNorther
03-26-2010, 08:22 AM
The first place that comes to mind is the Bow down stream from Calgary. Big browns and rainbows. The Livingston is another good stream for cutthroats and awesome scenery. Just about any east slopes creek in southern Alberta offer good fly fishing and scenery.

diamonddave
03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Don't forget the North, South, and Main Ram river system.

Deb
03-26-2010, 09:44 AM
This site, for Bow River fishing, has always been useful to me, maybe it will be to you, too:

http://www.bowriveralberta.com/bowri...flyfishing.htm

Deb

lannie
03-26-2010, 09:58 AM
In this order-
They are huge flyfishers, Set up a drift trip on the lower bow- I would go with a guided trip, it will be worth the extra cash.

Go through indian graves to the livingstone and let them "explore 5 km's of that river before it hits the oldman.

spend some time in the gap area where the racehorse and dutch tie into the oldman.

Stop in at the crowsnest angler and let your friends chat with Vic.
At this point you can review your success so far and get a few tips from someone who is very "in tune" with what is happening on the rivers in the area.

Maybe ask how the st. Marys is doing ? Maybe guided and drifted too.

Spend a night in the pass in one of our fine hotels and socialize with the locals of the area- Bellvue Inn. This should be fri. or sat night.

Head down to the Castle river/river's area and your friends can get back into
some bigger fish.

Finish it off with a hike in trip to a high elevation lake in this area for some different trout with great mountain scenery where they might see some of the best wildlife Alberta has to offer.

Maybe bring a gun on this stretch. I don't but........

There are many different small seldom fished creeks in the area where you will not see another soul with big fish. If you bring them down flyfishing you will be back after they go back to Ozzieland. At this point i say you will have a new addiction yourself.